Reasonable Alternatives to Squats and Deadlifts

So I've been properly lifting for about 2.5 months. I've made pretty great strides I think in that time, everywhere but my chest but even that isn't so bad. My squat and deadlift since then have gone from the bar or small weights to 255*11 on squats and 245*6 on my deads for my best sets. Unfortunately my form is not great, especially for squats, and both of these exercises which are now at fairly heavy weight, ruin my lower back regularly. I've been really trying to strengthen core to help with this, but that's also a process. This causes me to take more rest days than when I started. I used to go 6 days a week, and I'm lucky if I hit 4 right now; it's been like this for the last 3ish weeks.

I realize both these lifts hit more muscle than pretty much anything else, and I don't necessarily want to drop them quite yet, but it honestly seems like the risk for injury is higher with these than with any of my other lifts. Other stuff makes me sore, but nothing else makes me feel like I have to stop. The first time I had some real lower back pain, I just shifted forward a little while squatting, it wasn't even that dramatic.

If I were to take these out of my rotation, what would be a reasonable facsimile to replace them? Or should I just keep them in and hit them with low weight and high reps?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• nkzard
    nkzard Posts: 19 Member
    Focus on form obviously, but if it is impacting recovery and rest days, maybe one week squat on one day, and the next day deadlift on one day, then you can recover more. Otherwise just do a quad and hamstring/glute isolation exercise and you'll be fine. Plenty of alternatives but don't be too quick to chuck out squats and deads. Good luck!
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    So you are squatting and deadlifting 4 times per week? If so, that's probably too much volume.

Do you use a weightlifting belt for heavy reps?

Where did you learn the exercises? I recommend Starting Strength which has lots of free youtube instructional videos.

• Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    So you are squatting and deadlifting 4 times per week? If so, that's probably too much volume.

Where did you learn the exercises? I recommend Starting Strength which has lots of free youtube instructional videos.

Oh no, weight training 3 times a week (ideally 5) with 1 day of high resistance cardio. Deadlifts and squats once a week (ideally 2 as it was before)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion of dropping the load and improving form which likely will require flexibility work to improve your hip girdle flexibility and your upper body uprightness when squatting. Have you tried front squats?
  • Spadesheart
    Agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion of dropping the load and improving form which likely will require flexibility work to improve your hip girdle flexibility and your upper body uprightness when squatting. Have you tried front squats?

I have not. I was going to give box squats with lighter weight a try but dragging over the bench isn't possible at 2 of my gyms, and just really far at the other one. What would make front squats better?

I do lower back stretches and core work daily. I think it's helping with flexibility?
  • Spadesheart

I just started doing them man, and asked people in the gym who looked experienced.

I don't have a belt. Would that make a huge difference?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It really sounds like you need to decrease the weight and just focus on form for a while. I had a lot of trouble with my lower back, and then piriformis, and basically had to reteach myself deadlifts.
  • billkansas
    edited May 2019
    Yes, get a belt. I own two (3" deadlifting, 4" for squat). I start putting my belt on for squats/deadlifts of 225 or more. In fact, I bought my wider belt after a back scare from some heavy squats a year or two ago.

Paused squats (2 second pause at bottom) and slow cadence "3-0-3-0" squats (3 seconds down, 3 seconds up) both helped me improve my form. They provide more time to feel what you are doing. I would recommend you take some videos with your phone to see if how your form looks and tweak/adjust as needed. I'd like to go to a Starting Strength or Barbell Medicine seminar someday, but basically until I do that someday I use internet/book resources to "check" my form.

Don't quit the squat and deadlift! It sounds like you're well on your way. Don't be one of those guys at the gym dinking with dumbells and cable exercises all day but can't perform a decent heavy squat.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Doing Goblet squats with a dumbbell or kettlebell is one way to get squat action and work on form, particularly upper body uprightness.
  • Spadesheart
    Yes, get a belt. I own two (3" deadlifting, 4" for squat). I start putting my belt on for squats/deadlifts of 225 or more. In fact, I bought my wider belt after a back scare from some heavy squats a year or two ago.

Paused squats (2 second pause at bottom) and slow cadence "3-0-3-0" squats (3 seconds down, 3 seconds up) both helped me improve my form. They provide more time to feel what you are doing. I would recommend you take some videos with your phone to see if how your form looks and tweak/adjust as needed. I'd like to go to a Starting Strength or Barbell Medicine seminar someday, but basically until I do that someday I use internet/book resources to "check" my form.

Don't quit the squat and deadlift! It sounds like you're well on your way. Don't be one of those guys at the gym dinking with dumbells and cable exercises all day but can't perform a decent heavy squat.

Alright then, I'll just do light this week, work on form and order a belt. They're more reasonable than I thought they'd be. Leather one is 30 CAD off Amazon, nylon ones off eBay for 15 CAD.

For the belts, is the thicker the better? They have a 4 and 6 inch one.
  • billkansas
    Mine may be 4" and 6". I use 4" to deadlift and 6" for squat. This is the approach for most as I understand.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Alright then, I'll just do light this week, work on form and order a belt. They're more reasonable than I thought they'd be. Leather one is 30 CAD off Amazon, nylon ones off eBay for 15 CAD.

No. It depends on the length of your torso.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member

This.

I’m short so I actually use a benching belt for my squats and dls, and I have a tapered belt for my Olympic weightlifting. Has your gym got any you can try for size and comfort? A decent belt is a worthwhile investment but it can also be an expensive mistake if you get one you hate.
  • Spadesheart

This.

I’m short so I actually use a benching belt for my squats and dls, and I have a tapered belt for my Olympic weightlifting. Has your gym got any you can try for size and comfort? A decent belt is a worthwhile investment but it can also be an expensive mistake if you get one you hate.

Yeah I'm just going to order a cheapie off of eBay. They have a leather one for 20 CAD with free shipping.

I'm guessing 6 inch for me then. I'm 6'3" so I'm guessing the larger belt would do me good.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Jeff Nippard has a fairly recent YouTube video on squat technique. I highly recommend checking it out.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member

This.

Yeah I'm just going to order a cheapie off of eBay. They have a leather one for 20 CAD with free shipping.

I'm guessing 6 inch for me then. I'm 6'3" so I'm guessing the larger belt would do me good.

Yeah I’m only 5’3 so you’ve got an extra foot of body for the belt to fit! 🤣
  • billkansas
    I prefer the "low bar squat" as detailed in Starting Strength. I'm 6'-2" and as a tall guy think this method improved my ability to squat immeasurably.