What's a food you're currently obsessed with?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    It's been years since I had top quality balsamic. I used to drag it home from the duty free in Milan airport in my previous life when I worked in fashion. Nowadays whenever we are on vacation in Italy we will go to the supermarket on the last day and get the best available at the supermarket, usually around EUR 10. Look for the brands where "mosto" or grape musts are the first ingredient.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I’m kind of getting on a kick of very sweet, very milky tea. Like last night I had a big cup of herbal tea with a glob of honey and a splash of half and half and it was like I had died and gone to heaven. As someone who usually drinks unsweetened iced tea or hot tea with just a TOUCH of sugar and milk, this is unusual :D
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I’m kind of getting on a kick of very sweet, very milky tea. Like last night I had a big cup of herbal tea with a glob of honey and a splash of half and half and it was like I had died and gone to heaven. As someone who usually drinks unsweetened iced tea or hot tea with just a TOUCH of sugar and milk, this is unusual :D

Sweet and milky tea is the only kind I like. Chai, Thai, etc.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Thank you @JuanSLOjourney for talking about chaffles as part of his astounding loss. I never heard of these.

Two ingredients: an egg whipped with 1/2c finely shredded cheese, put in a waffle maker.

I bought a waffle maker yesterday specifically to try this. Outstanding!

I used cheddar (most recipes called for mozarella) and added the tiniest pinch of baking powder and 6gr flour. Will try it tomorrow with just the two ingredients.

The cheddar was very savory. Would be great with a pinch of chipotle seasoning for dinner, but was quite good using it to simply dredge up the sugar off a small slice of stollen I had with it.

This goes right up in my arsenal with pumpkin pudding!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Thank you @JuanSLOjourney for talking about chaffles as part of his astounding loss. I never heard of these.

Two ingredients: an egg whipped with 1/2c finely shredded cheese, put in a waffle maker.

I bought a waffle maker yesterday specifically to try this. Outstanding!

I used cheddar (most recipes called for mozarella) and added the tiniest pinch of baking powder and 6gr flour. Will try it tomorrow with just the two ingredients.

The cheddar was very savory. Would be great with a pinch of chipotle seasoning for dinner, but was quite good using it to simply dredge up the sugar off a small slice of stollen I had with it.

This goes right up in my arsenal with pumpkin pudding!

I love chaffles! you can make with other cheeses too for a unique flavor
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Sweet and milky tea is the only kind I like. Chai, Thai, etc.

Ahhhh THAI TEA. I forgot, that’s the exception to the norm lol.
    When I lived in Phoenix long ago I used to go to a place where I could get Thai tea with passionfruit juice bobas. Sometimes it’s abundantly clear how I ended up on MFP :D
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just made chaffles. Used 2 egg whites (so they wouldn’t taste eggy). I guess it worked, cause they were cheeeeseey!
    Really good, but I wanna add more flavor. A little bacon sprinkle, garlic, onion, jalapeño?
    What do y’all think, if you really overwork you’re imagination, could this be pizza crust?
    Mine were really, really ugly. I’ll have to work on that part.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm obsessed, but I've been drinking a glass of Kombucha every day and I do think it's helping with my digestive issues. I've also been eating a Honeycrisp apple every day....I "splurge" on these for myself while the rest of my family gets the bagged Pink Lady apples :D .
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    185 calories:
    14gr Jello cheesecake instant sugar free pudding
    170gr fat free greek yogurt
    1/2c cold water
    85gr Comstock sugar free cherry pie filling
    5gr canned whipped cream

w36qjcgzfsfc.jpeg

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    185 calories:
    14gr Jello cheesecake instant sugar free pudding
    170gr fat free greek yogurt
    1/2c cold water
    85gr Comstock sugar free cherry pie filling
    5gr canned whipped cream

w36qjcgzfsfc.jpeg

Omg, sounds delicious, I am going to try it! I LOVE cherry pie filling.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have this cherry pie filling...I'd have to order online $7/can though....plus shipping🙄
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Whoa! It’s pretty easy to thicken the cherry juice of plain canned cherries. Wouldn’t it be easy to add sweetener? Can you even buy plain unsweetened cherries any more?
    ! ! ! I looked. They’re so expensive! !
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Elaichi and soursop.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin. And beer.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just made chaffles. Used 2 egg whites (so they wouldn’t taste eggy). I guess it worked, cause they were cheeeeseey!
    Really good, but I wanna add more flavor. A little bacon sprinkle, garlic, onion, jalapeño?
    What do y’all think, if you really overwork you’re imagination, could this be pizza crust?
    Mine were really, really ugly. I’ll have to work on that part.

I put a pinch of Italian herb blend in mine. I also add a tablespoon of almond flour with a quarter teaspoon of baking powder instead of flour (need gf) and with mozzarella or Italian cheese and egg blend it makes a tasty breakfast.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    chopped pecans
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm currently obsessed with sweet mini peppers. They're more expensive than the bog-standard peppers, but they're ever so slightly nicer and I love eating them raw. I don't love a lot of raw vegetables, but if I finely dice them and stick them on top of anything, it instantly improves the meal and gets 1/2 to 1 of my 5-a-day in.

I'm also obsessed with pecorino. I remember when I used to eat out, I would feel paranoid about accepting the offer of grated hard cheese with my pasta, thinking it would add on a zillion calories. It actually doesn't. The thing that makes you fat is choosing a pasta dish that's laden with cream and cheese. A bit of grated hard cheese doesn't have that many calories.

Also... fresh parsley. I wish I could grow herbs that didn't immediately die. Killing plants and herbs on sight is a gift that I have.

I struggle with some things, but find herbs pretty easy, although so far only when I can do it outside (just decided to try to grow them indoors over the winter). What are you finding the issue with herbs? (Chives, dill, rosemary, and parsley are the ones I've found most resilient, probably. Well, and mint, which can be TOO resilient.)
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I struggle with some things, but find herbs pretty easy, although so far only when I can do it outside (just decided to try to grow them indoors over the winter). What are you finding the issue with herbs? (Chives, dill, rosemary, and parsley are the ones I've found most resilient, probably. Well, and mint, which can be TOO resilient.)

It's the growing them inside (apartment living). I really need a window box to give them enough good quality daylight, but I have my doubts over how secure that would be. If it were to fall down, I don't own the garden on the ground and would have no access to retrieve it!

Plus, as I said, it's a gift. Some people are naturally green-fingered. I'm the opposite.