Engagement rings

Options
the_conspicuous_quesadilla
the_conspicuous_quesadilla Posts: 168 Member
edited May 2019 in Chit-Chat
I'm of the mindset that I don't need to purchase a lady a fancy and expensive engagement ring to show my love for her. But if I felt pressured, gave in and purchased one, I think maybe the girl should get me a watch of at least equal value? I joked around about this in another thread, but what are your thoughts and opinions?

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that I don't need to purchase a lady a fancy and expensive engagement ring to show my love for her. But if I felt pressured, gave in and purchased one, I think maybe the girl should get me a watch of at least equal value? I joked around about this in another thread, but what are your thoughts and opinions?

Seriously.

When I married many moons ago, I wanted a man who was financially fit enough to allow me to stay home with our eventual children. I made sure he worked steadily, had a nest egg, and I wanted a ring of decent quality to demonstrate his financial and emotional commitment.

We did everything else on the cheap to save money, including catering our own wedding in our apartment.

I worked and saved the down payment on our first house while we lived on his salary.

In my opinion, we had an equitable arrangement.

Yet, if I had it to do over, I’d do it differently.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I love my ring, it was simple and passed down from his mother. Now my wedding ring is flashy and huge but my husband got a ring out of it too 😂
    But I don’t believe in the jewelry and flowers for gifts or anything. We overpay for both of those by far! And I don’t like either of them!
    But I think it’s fair to ask for a watch in return or something but the whole thing about proposing is that you’re ready to marry but not sure if she is. Unless you ask them buy a ring she wouldn’t know you’re proposing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I notice that the FIRST thing girlfriends want to see is the ring. And once they do, it's like they make a judgement on how much that man loves you. If he gave you a simple gold or silver band with no diamond, what would the reaction be you think?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

Seriously.

When I married many moons ago, I wanted a man who was financially fit enough to allow me to stay home with our eventual children. I made sure he worked steadily, had a nest egg, and I wanted a ring of decent quality to demonstrate his financial and emotional commitment.

We did everything else on the cheap to save money, including catering our own wedding in our apartment.

I worked and saved the down payment on our first house while we lived on his salary.

I've always imagined myself just signing the papers. Maybe having a small get-together with family at most. Not for financial reasons, I just have no desire for a big wedding.

Yes, that was a fun way to do it. We married at the city clerk, had a party with friends and family, went to Barcelona for a honeymoon, and began our lives in earnest. Worked, saved, and after several years bought a home had some kids. We were very practical. 😐

On paper it looked great.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

Can we just sign the papers in court? You can just draw a Rolex on my wrist with a sharpie, I'll accept that.

yes
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options

Seriously.

I've always imagined myself just signing the papers. Maybe having a small get-together with family at most. Not for financial reasons, I just have no desire for a big wedding.

Yes, that was a fun way to do it. We married at the city clerk, had a party with friends and family, went to Barcelona for a honeymoon, and began our lives in earnest. Worked, saved, and after several years bought a home had some kids. We were very practical. 😐

Ok but what happened?
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Seriously.

Ok but what happened?

We always long most for what is lacking
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,321 Member
    Options
    Blame the diamond industry.. like everything else now a days.. it's all materials/commercial manufactured must have. if you looking for the "right" person.. the heart is all that matters.. my wife knew I was not financially stable when we dated.. so she didn't mind the birthstone ring I gave her for engagement ring. 19 years later.. still hasn't bugged about the ring. She wears it everyday since.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The love a man giveth his lady is worth more than any diamond in the world
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    and yes, if he’d wanted a watch, if it was something important to him, I would have done that for him.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It was just so special to me, that he, as a not wealthy person, put his money where his mouth is. If it had been easy, it would have meant nothing to me.

He worked really hard
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Blame the diamond industry.. like everything else now a days.. it's all materials/commercial manufactured must have. if you looking for the "right" person.. the heart is all that matters.. my wife knew I was not financially stable when we dated.. so she didn't mind the birthstone ring I gave her for engagement ring. 19 years later.. still hasn't bugged about the ring. She wears it everyday since.

:)

There are definitely ladies out here who don't get hung up on the material things.

Don't get me wrong - I would enjoy gifting nice things to a special lady. The ring thing is just something I've thought about since a while back ago. Although maybe it's hypocritical since as of right now I'm toying with the idea of buying a gold ring studded with rubies for myself..

Check it out:

jig16vc1zbo9.jpg

Yeah or nay?

That’s really pretty