Engagement rings

Options

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,321 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Blame the diamond industry.. like everything else now a days.. it's all materials/commercial manufactured must have. if you looking for the "right" person.. the heart is all that matters.. my wife knew I was not financially stable when we dated.. so she didn't mind the birthstone ring I gave her for engagement ring. 19 years later.. still hasn't bugged about the ring. She wears it everyday since.

:)

There are definitely ladies out here who don't get hung up on the material things.

Don't get me wrong - I would enjoy gifting nice things to a special lady. The ring thing is just something I've thought about since a while back ago. Although maybe it's hypocritical since as of right now I'm toying with the idea of buying a gold ring studded with rubies for myself..

It's personal preference really. If you want to give her the ring of your choice it really doesnt matter what others think. It's between you and your lady.

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Blame the diamond industry.. like everything else now a days.. it's all materials/commercial manufactured must have. if you looking for the "right" person.. the heart is all that matters.. my wife knew I was not financially stable when we dated.. so she didn't mind the birthstone ring I gave her for engagement ring. 19 years later.. still hasn't bugged about the ring. She wears it everyday since.

There are definitely ladies out here who don't get hung up on the material things.

Don't get me wrong - I would enjoy gifting nice things to a special lady. The ring thing is just something I've thought about since a while back ago. Although maybe it's hypocritical since as of right now I'm toying with the idea of buying a gold ring studded with rubies for myself..

Check it out:

jig16vc1zbo9.jpg

Yeah or nay?

I don't understand. It looks like an Arabian wedding ring and it would be, like, you're marrying yourself. But it's okay I know someone who really did that.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that I don't need to purchase a lady a fancy and expensive engagement ring to show my love for her. But if I felt pressured, gave in and purchased one, I think maybe the girl should get me a watch of at least equal value? I joked around about this in another thread, but what are your thoughts and opinions?

We did everything else on the cheap to save money, including catering our own wedding in our apartment.

Can we just sign the papers in court? You can just draw a Rolex on my wrist with a sharpie, I'll accept that.

yes

Is that an "I do"?

For as long as love shall last.
  • newmeadow
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Check it out:

jig16vc1zbo9.jpg

Yeah or nay?

I don't understand. It looks like an Arabian wedding ring and it would be, like, you're marrying yourself. But it's okay I know someone who really did that.

I just see it as fancy "bling"

It is fancy and I actually really like it. Something about it makes me really hot
  • newmeadow
    Options

Check it out:

jig16vc1zbo9.jpg

Yeah or nay?

I just see it as fancy "bling"

It is fancy and I actually really like it. Something about it makes me really hot

Hot and bothered? :lol:

It makes me wish I had one of my own but 24 kt gold and gems of similar hue don't compliment my skin tone. I look my best with amethyst, pearl, diamonds, turquoise, sterling and a paler hue of 14 kt gold.

• your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    Moon_Stone wrote: »
    Do you want a watch because you need to check how long the relationship is going to last?

The ring should be about wanting to make the other person happy, what they like, showing you understand that person, not hey what do I get out of this.

It’s not about the ring being super expensive in my opinion or ostentatious to shout, look he’s loaded. It’s about the symbol of the ring symbolizing the relationship is strong, solid and lasting the rest of time. Also abit that the guy isn’t a mooch and a cheapskate. Buying something really cheap that’s going to rust and turn your finger green because of the fake gold or whatever you bought isn’t special or romantic. Get it right because the ring is a test in my opinion. If you buy something that you like and she doesn’t, the ring represents you don’t understand her.

Not a fan of the ruby ring but my opinion doesn’t matter because it’s about what you like and makes you happy.

And if she picks her own ring because he’s afraid to choose, that probably means something too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If you have that many doubts and conditions about giving a woman a ring then maybe you're not meant to marry the woman?

Although I do think flashy diamond rings are overrated, myself.

Some women truly don't care about fancy rings. I had one when I was married the first time at 26 and I honestly felt like the attention from other women about my ring was strange. I didn't particularly think it was even pretty or my style.

For my second go-round in my thirties, I told my boyfriend (now husband) I would prefer a simple silver band or something else very simple. He got me a green amethyst on a silver band. The gemstone is cut in such a way that it sparkles. I have never cared about jewelry and I love it. I also love that it was so inexpensive...he got it from an etsy seller who handmade the ring. I now have 2 of the same ring in different sizes since I have lost a lot of weight since our engagement in 2013. I didn't want a separate wedding ring/band.

He actually bought his own rings, he has one for "dress" (still inexpensive) and a silicone band for when he's working on projects or exercising. I would have happily bought them for him, of course. We spend our money on other things.

• your_future_ex_wife
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Do you want a watch because you need to check how long the relationship is going to last?

The ring should be about wanting to make the other person happy, what they like, showing you understand that person, not hey what do I get out of this.

It’s not about the ring being super expensive in my opinion or ostentatious to shout, look he’s loaded. It’s about the symbol of the ring symbolizing the relationship is strong, solid and lasting the rest of time. Also abit that the guy isn’t a mooch and a cheapskate. Buying something really cheap that’s going to rust and turn your finger green because of the fake gold or whatever you bought isn’t special or romantic. Get it right because the ring is a test in my opinion. If you buy something that you like and she doesn’t, the ring represents you don’t understand her.

Not a fan of the ruby ring but my opinion doesn’t matter because it’s about what you like and makes you happy.

And if she picks her own ring because he’s afraid to choose, that probably means something too.

This happened to a friend. Her husband thought he was being romantic but it’s actually a sore spot.

sometimes it’s predictive of future behavior too which, I’m sure, some people are fine with
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options

This happened to a friend. Her husband thought he was being romantic but it’s actually a sore spot.

sometimes it’s predictive of future behavior too which, I’m sure, some people are fine with

That's why the whole thing is bs. You pick the wrong stupid expensive rock and you're screwed.

You ask for her help to pick the stupid expensive rock and you're screwed.

You don't get her a stupid expensive rock and you're screwed.

You know how you don't get screwed? You become ace sexual like me
  • your_future_ex_wife
    edited May 2019
    Options

That's why the whole thing is bs. You pick the wrong stupid expensive rock and you're screwed.

You ask for her help to pick the stupid expensive rock and you're screwed.

You don't get her a stupid expensive rock and you're screwed.

You know how you don't get screwed? You become ace sexual like me

Good point. I think it’s about knowing your partner, his/her wants & needs, and figuring out if you’re compatible

ETA: for the record, I was very happy at the time to pick out my own ring
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    Also,fwiw, a ring is not the jewelry I’d choose in future
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    marriage is a beautiful thing and everyone should do it at least twice.

but this is 2019 guys...and they should be proposing to us. it's only fair. and so help me if she picks out an ugly cheap ring for me i will not hesitate to just pack my things and LEAVE :neutral:
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    marriage is a beautiful thing and everyone should do it at least twice.

but this is 2019 guys...and they should be proposing to us. it's only fair. and so help me if she picks out an ugly cheap ring for me i will not hesitate to just pack my things and LEAVE :neutral:

Propose to me daddy?