Why would thyroid issues cause weight gain?

2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I have treated my thyroid disease. Even with treatment I find that I burn 200-300 calories less than any calculator has estimated. I also retain fluids easily and bloat up regularly, sometimes by as much as 10lb over night. Add to that the fatigue and joint pain that can get in the way of activities and yes you can absolutely gain weight.

You can also just as easily lose weight though when you understand these things. I don’t worry about the sudden fluctuations anymore because I know what they are. I adjusted my calorie intake accordingly and was able to reach a healthy weight again.

Oddly enough, I have treated my severe hypothyroidism, and find that I burn several hundred calories more daily than MFP and some other calculators estimate (not to mention my Garmin Fitness tracker which similarly underestimates). MFP and the tracker run about 25-30% below the calorie burn I've seen over 3+ years of careful logging. I actually lost weight too fast before I realized this, and had to adjust intake sharply upward to maintain energy and strength. I still lost at a good rate, 50 pounds in less than a year.

There is variation in calorie requirements among individuals, including healthy individuals. Reasons are not fully/clearly understood in all cases. The estimates aren't gospel for anyone (though they're close for most people, off for relatively few - that's the nature of this kind of statistical estimate, because it has a small standard deviation). It's hard to say whether a difference observed in a treated hypothyroid person is because of the hypothyroidism, or something else.

I agree that untreated hypothyroidism tends to result in a lower TDEE (all day calorie burn), through a variety of mechanisms, including fatigue, stiffness, depression, and more.

I'd speculate that people who can't understand how those would lead to weight gain has not had much experience with that kind of symptom set, sometimes all at once; and especially has not experienced a pervasive, bone-wearying fatigue.

But I also have read that research suggests the maximum "metabolic" down-regulation is 5% or less in untreated people (I'm using the term "metabolic" very loosely: What I mean is that hypothyroidism-fostered depression, for example, could lead to a bigger calorie-expenditure down-regulation if it resulted in the person wanting to sleep all the time, say.)

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 6 months or so after completing 6 months of chemotherapy (for breast cancer). Chemotherapy, depending on the drugs needed, can have some of those same side effects (mine did). After chemo finished, I slowly began recovering energy as expected . . . then I hit a wall. I was dragging through life. I thought I would never feel strong, energetic, or normal again.

While the fatigue was not as severe as during chemo, it was very impairing and dispiriting. That was almost 19 years ago. My hypothyroidism got diagnosed and properly treated (levothyroxine works for me). I'm now a more than averagely energetic 63-year old woman, feeling stronger and better than I did before chemo at age 44, despite the age increase.

I'd add that not everyone experiences the same severity of hypothyroidism, nor the same manifestation of side effects. One would do well not to judge others; we don't know how it feels on the inside, to be them.

I’m happy that treatment worked so well for you. To be clear though I wasn’t judging anyone. I was sharing my experience.

For me I still have to eat less than other women my age, height, and activity level despite treatment. It’s not substantially less but enough that I’m aware. That isn’t good or bad - just my reality that once I accepted I was able to work with and reach my goals.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    However hypothyroidism is very easy to check and very easy to treat.

Once you are on adequate replacement, your equation is same as everyone else's

No it isn't always easy to check and it isn't always easy to treat. Sometimes it is very, very difficult. Your thyroid might have been easy to treat, but not everyone's is.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Paperpudding - I'm thrilled you had such good treatment regrettably many others including me have lifetimes of thyroid troubles which accumulate and cause a domino effect within our bodies.

I totally agree with the modern thyroid testing everyone should have access to perfect treatment. I heard an interview with the doctor who researched for the first testing system. He stated the tests are being used incorrectly in the majority of health systems. Those of us with hypothyroid symptoms prior to the 1940's war or a little later to the 60's may be, would have been given animal thyroid tissue until the symptoms ceased, the people thrived. In the intervening years following the concept of testing big pharma hit on the idea of synthetic iodine and so levothyroxine was born and became the medicine of choice - it being cheep and only mostly for women.

I do wonder if a comprehensive mineral and vitamin supplement would work as well if not better, designed to promote conversion t4 to t3 as long as the manufacturers were mindful of the fillers/binders. This is doubtful to help those who are genetically restricted or unable to convert t4 to t3, it happens, even in later life.

I find it difficult to compute - our metabolism is only diminished by 5% when the symptoms can go on increasing year on year because the tests are not applied properly.

Endocrine problems are not always straightforward in their treatment. To repeat myself Many including me react to the cheep treatment Levothyroxine.

When low t3 - underlie many cancers because one of its rolls is to remove non regular cells.
    - underpin many respiratory conditions necessitating less appropriate treatment.
    - reduce growth hormone causing, arthritis and other stature related health issues
    - contribute to PCOS because t3 is tied into insulin production/use
    - be involved in diabetes similar to above
    - be involved in cholesterol production and elimination
    - have an essential role in immunity
    - underpins, infertility, reproduction
    - contributes to anorexia,
    - effects the brain as it uses more t3 than any other organ

With 300 symptoms according to one site the list will go on and on. So while I rejoice for you, that your thyroid problems are resolved, my system screams for those who go untreated, inappropriately treated, who's symptoms are dismissed as - your female its what you should expect. Arthritis is often diagnosed 10/15 years before a diagnosed before hypothyroidism is diagnosed. Human growth hormone is the other effective thyroid hormone and lacking or being low in it is a contributory cause in arthritis.

I really wish men had as many health related problems as women can with their endocrine systems if they did more research would have been carried out. It was said men had more heart issues than women but the range of heart medications available in Casualty will probably do nothing for a woman even if her different presentation of heart condition symptoms are recognised.

So those who have early diagnosis, please celebrate and please do not berate others who have not been as fortunate as yourselves as being in someway lesser deserving beings as if the interpretation of our tests is laid at our doors.

I was virtually house bound when I turned to alternative support to regain my health. I am healthier in my 70 year than I was at 50. I still do not breath deeply enough, muscle function needs to grow, breathing deeply, normally needs working on, it underpins all.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    I have hypothyroid and I haven't gained weight and I've maintained. When it was at its peek I was eating loads of maintain my weight. Different for everyone
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Seeing I've found a group of knowledgeable people, here's a question...
    I've been hypoththyroid for 8 years and always been stable on levothyroxine. Recently, I've developed tremors in my hands and sometimes heart palpitations (both only occasionally, but especially when skipping meals) I suspect I may be hypoglycemic and Dr Google me this is quite common with hypothyroidism. I feel totally fine and full of energy besides for that. I will obviously get checked out (although may take awhile to get an appointment- NHS!) but I'm curious if any of you have experienced this...
  • Pearl4686
    And forgot to add, I've been on MFP for about 6 months. Lost 20lbs the first 3 months but very little since then. Don't think that's related to any medical issues as I'm struggling to stay on plan. But who knows, maybe my hunger/energy/metabolism is affected...(thinking if excuses ;) )
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited May 2019
    For me, being unable to lose weight was my main symptom of hypothyroid, aside from thinning hair and no eyebrows. I mentioned it to my doctor and was told, "You're over 40, what do you expect?" It took about 3 years before a doctor paid attention and asked about my family history. My mother was also hypothyroid and on meds. I got tested, started meds, adjusted meds, adjusted meds again, and eventually got to the point where I could lose weight. At this point, my metabolism is, if anything, a bit higher than most women my age. But I also do more exercise than most. Afterburn is real.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    trjjoy wrote: »
    untreated hypothyroidism will certainly cause weight gain (unless you eat much less) - metabolism will be slower, person will move less, sleep more, get constipated.
    is still CICO - the calories out side is much lower.

Why would CO be much lower? A body consists of cells that need calories/energy. A body with hypothyroidism doesn't lose limbs or organs so that body would still need a certain amount of calories to function because it still has all those cells and bodily processes to maintain.

Weight loss is not a simple manner of CICO. Our bodies aren't simply engines that burn fuel. There are processes that are influenced by numerous hormones which do things like control or suppress our appetite, store excess calories as fat or immediately use it. The hormones secreted by the thyroid influence metabolic rate, among other things. As these processes are complex and not yet fully understood by scientists, it remains an excellent idea to calculate the calorie deficit you need to lose weight and to track calories. But it's only an estimate. No one burns the same amount of calories every day.
  • Pearl4686
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    I've been hypoththyroid for 8 years and always been stable on levothyroxine. Recently, I've developed tremors in my hands and sometimes heart palpitations (both only occasionally, but especially when skipping meals) I suspect I may be hypoglycemic and Dr Google me this is quite common with hypothyroidism. I feel totally fine and full of energy besides for that. I will obviously get checked out (although may take awhile to get an appointment- NHS!) but I'm curious if any of you have experienced this...

When was your last thyroid blood test? Those can be hyperthyroid symptoms, too. Levo dosage sometimes needs adjustment, and weight loss triggers that need for some.

Thank you for replying. It's been awhile...in fact since after my baby was born and she just turned one. I also recently stopped breastfeeding so that may have something to do with it. Time for another blood test I guess... (Dreading a lower dose as predicting weight gain :/ , but rather be healthy!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member

When was your last thyroid blood test? Those can be hyperthyroid symptoms, too. Levo dosage sometimes needs adjustment, and weight loss triggers that need for some.

Thank you for replying. It's been awhile...in fact since after my baby was born and she just turned one. I also recently stopped breastfeeding so that may have something to do with it. Time for another blood test I guess... (Dreading a lower dose as predicting weight gain :/ , but rather be healthy!)

Weight gain may not result. Consider the range of posts above: People have varying experiences. Ideally, your doctor will go not just by numbers, but by how you feel. (From others' comments on various threads, I gather this may be a problem with some doctors, and perhaps especially with NHS. My doctor is fine with me being right at or even just a bit below the 'normal' TSH threshold, because I feel better there, and don't have any symptoms of hyperthyroidism.)

Best wishes!