JUST GIVE ME 10 DAYS ~ ROUND 78

Options

Replies

• eb8566
    eb8566 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @quiltingjane thanks for the warning! It’s going to be so hard to pick my blueberries and not eat them! Maybe I can think about ur warning and deliver them to neighbors.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    eb8566 wrote: »
    @Hilogirl2018 I am considering adding back carbs so I really appreciate reading your comments each day. I’ve been under 25 carbs a day for 6 months and followed it strictly but summer fruits may be too hard to give up 🙂 I already watch my calories so hoping to just continue that part and be less restrictive with carbs. Scary to change. Anyway, thanks for posting your progress each day.

@eb8566 It's more difficult than I thought it would be! I've done keto before (for 2 years once!) and gone off abruptly when I got sick of it. I've learned from my mistakes.

For one, 20ish grams is unsustainable for me personally over a long time. Not enough variety. But I got the 'carb fear' over adding them back in gradually to see what my upper level was to remain in ketosis, and basically just abandoned keto eventually, and even low carb, by going back to eating whatever I'd missed. Then I ended up with inflammation: joint pain and achiness for a day or so.

I've since learned why that happens! I read a journal article (peer reviewed, not a nutrition blog or social media post) that discussed blood vessel inflammation that may occur after re-introducing carbs after you've been in ketosis. I believe that's what caused my joint pain and overall awful feeling in the past when I abruptly went off keto. I refuse to do that to myself again, so it's important for me to add carbs back in slowly.

My goal is to add 5 grams at a time each week. Focusing on healthy sources of carbs. I am up to 35 grams now, and the list of diabetic carbohydrate exchanges has been really helpful- the one I found breaks the list down into 15 grams or less servings. One slice of store-bought bread, for example. Of course, I'm still weighing, scanning bar codes, and tracking calories, but it's a new freedom that's hard to adjust to. I had a half a grilled cheese sandwich today on REAL bread! For 11.5 g carbs! I figure, if the exchanges list helps diabetics to manage blood sugar, it should be good enough for me to avoid blood vessel inflammation. I'm still in ketosis, too. Goal is to creep up to 50 and assess from there.

I'm glad you're reading, especially if any of this is helpful!