Homemade Quest Bars

Options

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Made the basic recipe with ground flax seed, stevia, peanut butter and french vanilla protein powder. Very gooey, I am keeping in the freezer. I haven't tried the Quest bars because I can't find them, but hope these are good.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Made the basic recipe with ground flax seed, stevia, peanut butter and french vanilla protein powder. Very gooey, I am keeping in the freezer. I haven't tried the Quest bars because I can't find them, but hope these are good.
    Mine were really gooey as well. I am waiting for the creator of the website to mesg me the grams of each ingredient because I have a small protein scoop. I froze mine for 2 hours and still it got really soft while in my hand.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mine were really gooey as well. I am waiting for the creator of the website to mesg me the grams of each ingredient because I have a small protein scoop. I froze mine for 2 hours and still it got really soft while in my hand.
    Mine had a perfect texture. I used honey, ground flax seed, peanut butter and Biggest Loser Protein powder. 4 scoops equaled 1/2 cup.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    bump
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link.
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    Thanks DrPepper000 for the input, I'll try 1/2C next time Also is it safe to say that you enjoyed the recipe? :)
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks DrPepper000 for the input, I'll try 1/2C next time Also is it safe to say that you enjoyed the recipe? :)
    I enjoyed it too much. And I don't even like peanut butter. I was really making them for a little 4 yr old that needs the calories and doesn't like to eat. That is why I made them smaller. I bought some mini choc chips to add to the next batch. This batch may not last until she gets here. My teens like it, too. What is not to like? Peanut butter and honey, yum!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Would it be a sacrilege to make these with chocolate protein powder instead? I find most vanilla protein powers to be mediocre at best and overall find chocolate to be much more useful, especially outside of baking.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump! Very cool, thanks for posting
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • fleetzz
    Options
    I tried the bars this am. Not really good. Maybe if I made with honey or agave nectar? Or I can wrap them in chocolate chips?
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I tried the bars this am. Not really good. Maybe if I made with honey or agave nectar? Or I can wrap them in chocolate chips?

i used flaxseed as well. since my protein powder is slightly sweetened i didn't need much, but i added some orange blossom honey. Mine came out really good, i was surprised because i have tried stuff like this before & not been thrilled with the result.

I have some ideas why yours came out wonky....As for the texture, if the batter is runny/overly gooey when mixed then the ratios are off. it should be moistened just enough to mix but still keep the batter pretty solid & dense. My batter was very crumbly with all ingredients added. it needed some water, so what i did was slowly added water about 1/2 Tblsp at a time. If yours was really gooey i think you put too much water in. If you end up with very sticky/runny batter then throwing a bit more dry ingredient in might help remedy that.....As for the flavor not being right, i can't imagine that the brand of flax or peanut butter would matter. I think maybe it was because you used stevia. I use stevia in my tea or oatmeal sometimes, but i never had much success baking with it or using large quantities of it, so i didn't want to use it in this recipe. Agave could be good, but keep in mind that it is runnier than honey so you will need to be careful of your wet/dry ingredient ratios......of course it is possible that it was because of the type of protein powder that you used.....

anywhoo, I listed the exact brands & amounts of ingredients that i used in an earlier post if you want to take a look. Next time i am going to follow the same recipe but add some chocolate chips mmmm mmmmm mmmmm
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Thanks, I don't bake or cook well so guess I have to experiment more.

i used flaxseed as well. since my protein powder is slightly sweetened i didn't need much, but i added some orange blossom honey. Mine came out really good, i was surprised because i have tried stuff like this before & not been thrilled with the result.

I have some ideas why yours came out wonky....As for the texture, if the batter is runny/overly gooey when mixed then the ratios are off. it should be moistened just enough to mix but still keep the batter pretty solid & dense. My batter was very crumbly with all ingredients added. it needed some water, so what i did was slowly added water about 1/2 Tblsp at a time. If yours was really gooey i think you put too much water in. If you end up with very sticky/runny batter then throwing a bit more dry ingredient in might help remedy that.....As for the flavor not being right, i can't imagine that the brand of flax or peanut butter would matter. I think maybe it was because you used stevia. I use stevia in my tea or oatmeal sometimes, but i never had much success baking with it or using large quantities of it, so i didn't want to use it in this recipe. Agave could be good, but keep in mind that it is runnier than honey so you will need to be careful of your wet/dry ingredient ratios......of course it is possible that it was because of the type of protein powder that you used.....

anywhoo, I listed the exact brands & amounts of ingredients that i used in an earlier post if you want to take a look. Next time i am going to follow the same recipe but add some chocolate chips mmmm mmmmm mmmmm
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Wow! Going to have to try this...
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Haha. There is an add for Quest bars on my page as I bump this.
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    Thinking on trying to make a banana nut muffin bar when I get ingredients. Here's what I might do: Vanilla protein powder,almond butter, 1Tbsp of dried bananas and walnuts, sprinkle cinnamon. Or maybe instead of dried bananas, I'll use banana extract, and butter flavoring? Inputs anyone? :D
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    Might seem dumb or a little too late to say but the questbar combos would be good to try in oatmeal !
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I can't wait to make them! Has anyone tried doing half oats and half flax? I'm thinking of using stevia too...hopefully that won't ruin the texture.