Homemade Quest Bars

Options

Replies

• JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    lol Why wouldnt they taste them?
    She is a 4 yr old picky eater. She refuses to taste most things. She was grossed out by the texture. Too young to have acquired the cookie dough mindset. (If it looks like cookie dough, it must be good.)
    OH, I see. Maybe she would like them if she helped make them or come up with a flavor? I babysit my sister's 6 year old and I noticed that she is more excited and eager to eat if she helps make the food.
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    lol Why wouldnt they taste them?
    She is a 4 yr old picky eater. She refuses to taste most things. She was grossed out by the texture. Too young to have acquired the cookie dough mindset. (If it looks like cookie dough, it must be good.)
    OH, I see. Maybe she would like them if she helped make them or come up with a flavor? I babysit my sister's 6 year old and I noticed that she is more excited and eager to eat if she helps make the food.
    She did eat the muffins she helped make this morning. Next time she comes over, we will make the Qwest bars. Her sister refused to try the bars I sent home with her mother. So the mom and I got to eat the extra calories we didn't need!!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump, these sound good
  • kinzerbud
    kinzerbud Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    save to read through later. thanks!
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The fiber on these is so low in comparison to the Quest bars, that's disappointing. Otherwise, the recipe seems like a decent substitute.

Why not just mix in some flavorless fiber powder?

Quest's essential ingredient is isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO.) It is their low calorie fiber/prebiotic/additional sweetener source, binds all ingredients together, retains moisture, and changes composition when heated (mmmm, microwaved!) or when cold.

Bioneutra (a Canadian company ) sources the IMO branded as VitaFiber. I don't know if this is sold to the public, but here is the FAQs from their website. So that is how they get such high fiber content, with low calories.

http://bioneutra.ca/faq.htm
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    Little ones are hard to keep up with so I say you earned those extra calories. lol
  • gatsby018
    gatsby018 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump...I have to try these! I love Quest bars, but they can get expensive.
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    keeper
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Haven't measured things out yet, but I've mixed up the following batches:
    peanut butter, honey, vanilla, mix together and add vanilla whey protein powder and cocoa powder. Winner!

peanut butter, honey, vanilla, mix together and add vanilla whey protein powder and crushed up toffee candy. Another winner!

I form them into little logs and keep them in the fridge. Weighing would probably be the best way to determine macros, but it could be done by measuring ingredients, doing the math, and dividing the bars.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    This recipe from HarlanJEN
    Made 3 bars. 2 TB protein powder, 2 TB almond butter, 1 TB chia seed. Smidge of water. 177 cals. 19 protein. 6 carbs. 9 fat. 4 fiber. I used Protizyme peanut butter whey protein. I made a glaze/coating with almond butter and coconut oil. The coating will add calories.
    Awesome, Jen!
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    How big are the bars? ^^
  • MinMin97
    Options
    That recipe was divided into thirds. Smaller than a quest bar:)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    bump
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    I was out shopping and the GNC store in my area was having a sale on Quest bars, buy 2 get one free. I have only had one quest bar in my life and that was 2 years ago. I bought banana nut, chocolate peanut butter, strawberry cheesecake. The banana nut one was the worst ~! The rest were awesome. After I tasted the banana one I thought I was crazy for not liking it because everyone says such good things about that one in particular. It didn't have much banana flavor, the nuts were not crunchy and it smelled like dog food. I think ill stick to making them homemade.
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great I want to try because I just got 2 boxes for GNC.Maybe I can save some money.
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    Nothing is better than saving money ! I wish I grabbed another chocolate peanutbutter quest bar bc it was delishh.
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    bump
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Nothing is better than saving money ! I wish I grabbed another chocolate peanutbutter quest bar bc it was delishh.

i think the softness/freshness has a lot to do with how they taste. and Quest seems to have major quality control issues.

Because I had one that you mentioned in a previous post that you did not like (banana-nut) and it was so soft & chewy i loved it....but my chocolate peanut butter one was a little dry and i had to dunk it in my chocolate tea to make it softer to chew. then it seemed much better. I had the same experience with the brownie one, it was just a tad too dry.

The worst i had were apple pie & cinnamon roll that i ordered online last year. they were less tasty than cardboard covered in sand. uck. but i know many people who rave about those flavors. the only thing i can figure is that they must have gotten a good fresh batch. clearly i got a bad batch because the expiration dates were over a year away yet they still were extremely hard & dry.
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    That sucks because I really wanted to try the cinnamon roll and apple pie, Im very hesitant now :( Did you ever contact the quest company?