Do you have any binge trigger foods?

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that triggers me on a regular day, but on a 'free day'--like a celebratory event--kettle chips, snack candies you can grab a handful of (like M&Ms), summer sausage with cheese and crackers... basically any snack foods that are out and about, lol. I don't binge for days, but I will binge for that whole day. You'd think I'd been starving myself up to that point.

It's silly. On any other day, I can eat all of those things in moderation with no problem! But I guess it's a mental thing, where I tell myself, "Well, it's a birthday; I'm not counting today. May as well eat all the things!" And then I just can't control myself, no matter how much my stomach regrets it later.

It is definitely a mental thing for me. I have no free days, and it might sound strict, but no free days doesn't mean no days over calories. It just means I won't give myself a day where I eat whatever I want just because. I'll eat cake on birthdays and work doughnuts or whatever, but I'll always have the umbrella of moderation protecting me from binge eating. Going over calories is not going overboard, so I can always go over calories, but I can never allow myself to freely go overboard. Those who have followed me around on here know more details, but basically I allowed myself a total free day after I hit goal the last time I lost weight, and it spiraled like nothing in my life has spiraled before.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat at the table or kitchen counter with a large open bag of chips (my fav is sweet thai chili beanitos or Texas brand jalapeno kettle chips) ... I will go glassy-eyed and eat the whole bag. I keep a scale on my counter so I weigh out my portion and then put the rest back in the cupboard. It has become a habit so I don't go overboard lot. I have to do the same thing with dip!
  • mjordan54
    mjordan54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, things like hot dogs, pizza, tacos are so darn hard to keep in check. It's the presentation instead of having a set portion on my plate, combined with that I really like them that makes moderation tough. I find it easier to just say no, then saying "just a couple".
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    'Crappy' chocolate or desserts. I love sweets and when I eat them I want them to be satisfying. If I have a cupcake (which I don't really like but sometimes think I do) or cheap chocolate, etc, I know I've eaten the calories but I don't feel like my taste buds or brain is satisfied so that's when I go into the sweet/salt/sweet cycle. I try to head it off by only eating desserts that I will enjoy but if I'm trying something new or something someone else has made, it's not a guarantee. I also try to do some hot tea which helps about 50% of the time.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    apparently, junk snack cakes. i ate a box of twinkies over the weekend. yes, an entire box. sigh.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I go nuts over nuts. Once I start it is so hard to stop.My husband hides them as he loves them after a run.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    'Crappy' chocolate or desserts. I love sweets and when I eat them I want them to be satisfying. If I have a cupcake (which I don't really like but sometimes think I do) or cheap chocolate, etc, I know I've eaten the calories but I don't feel like my taste buds or brain is satisfied so that's when I go into the sweet/salt/sweet cycle. I try to head it off by only eating desserts that I will enjoy but if I'm trying something new or something someone else has made, it's not a guarantee. I also try to do some hot tea which helps about 50% of the time.

Yep this is me also.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've just had to stop buying them.
    rnx5odd2nulb.jpg

Same. With dairy milk, for dunking.
    I buy the little 4 packs which are not enough, but every time I get a bigger pack (like 13 cookies...I will NOT buy a full size package), I eat them all. It's really a thing.

I don't even know why because they are honestly not that great!! It's crazy that I can make or buy a million other types of cookies & treats and not have this OREO problem.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I have definitely learned that maintenance does not mean I can eat anything I want. Still can't moderate chips, popcorn, cookies, ice cream, other desserts.do fine with "healthy" foods :smile:

For now, I try limit the above the above to when I am not at home, so there is nothing "left over" to call my name. Should I go off the deep end Bd bring it home, I throw it away (as soon as I can get myself to stop eating it). For the time being, abstinence is the best answer.
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Definitely pizza. I cannot moderate it at all unless I'm having a slice that is out of someone else's. I live alone and if I order one I WILL eat the entire thing in a frenzy almost. I cannot control it. This is the only food that is like this for me and has always been my go to binge food. So I stay well away from it as sad as that is. Unless I am in a controlled environment where binging isn't possible.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have been bingeing lately on my multi grain breakfast cereal. Just dry, straight out of the box. It’s crazy. It's not sweet or anything (very little added sugar) and I enjoy a normal portion most mornings with Greek yogurt. So I don’t know why this is happening. I eat a good amount of carbs each day, I don’t restrict or even monitor that macro. I really don’t want to ban it from the house, I like it for breakfast.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips.
    Any flavor.
    Any color.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Oh, and pizza. I will eat 4-5 slices, until I am uncomfortably full.
  • CBjenni
    CBjenni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pepsi. I am absolutely addicted and cannot moderate it. Add potato chips and I’m done. 😔
  • SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    M&M's are like crack to me.
  • ecominimalist35
    ecominimalist35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just sweets in general, unless it dark chocolate then I'm okay.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The main starches and most things made of them is mine. So bread (including cakes and biscuits), pasta, potatoes and rice, although rice is not as bad as the others.

I just crave anythhing and everything if I eat them. That goes for things like porridge too.

Having said that I find I can manage ryvita ok, although not cream crackers.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Potato chips with some salsa valentina
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For me it's bread - any kind of bread. And of course whatever I can put in between the slices and whatever fits on top as well. 2 large loaves over lunch time were no problem - I once calculated that I could eat between 8.000 and 10.000 calories in a sitting with all the fats and proteins added. After such a "feast" I would fall asleep and wake up hours later, feeling groggy. I still eat bread on rare occasions - but it needs to be very good quality and now I watch what I put on top as well.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, Doritos and ice cream all of which pre diet I never ate.