Do you have any binge trigger foods?

Options

Replies

• lovelylosses
    lovelylosses Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    White cheddar popcorn - like SmartFood? If I bought a big bag, I’d eat it all or attempt to. I read somewhere that the big bags are like 3,200 calories 💀🙈 I don’t buy them anymore 😂😬

My favourite junk food is nachos but I can eat a moderate amount and be satisfied. SmartFood just makes me go crazy.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Too many to mention. OA.org for me!
  • Jamie24McCormack
    Jamie24McCormack Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yep all food that smells good
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »
    Cookies, especially homemade, I'll eat them all in one day :s
    Me, too. I love meltaways, can easily eat the whole batch
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have any one particular food that will see me to go overboard.

I think the biggest risk factor for me is deprivation. As soon as I decide that something is off limits it becomes so much more enticing. And the longer that deprivation goes the more enticing it becomes. I start hearing the internal dialogue saying things like "Oh MAN! I haven't had <XYZ> in ages! I'd kill for some <XYZ> right now".

hen when I decide to have <XYZ> again I'll usually find myself making the most of the opportunity an really going to town.

Obviously, being this way I've had much more success with the 'Everything is permitted if accounted for' approach than the 'food cutting' approach I've used in the past.
  • BradandLibby
    BradandLibby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn’t think there was any food in which I couldn’t control my eating. But this weekend we bought a family size spicy feta cheese and I surprised myself when I couldn’t stop eating it. Though I did log it, didn’t use unnecessary (for me) pita bread (just straight dip works for me), and I did throw away the 1/4 inch remaining on the bottom. But wow, my lack of self control was shocking.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Some foods are difficult for me to moderate at some times but not at others. I wish I had better insight into it. I’ve had full on can’t-control-myself binges (>>1000 cal) in the past, and innocent little “healthy” raw almonds in excess have triggered that. Although binge eating afflicts me much less now, I do sometimes go over plan substantially (500-1000 calories), spontaneously & unplanned, and nuts still can be my gateway drug for that. Mercifully it’s not often. I can include almonds and chocolate, for example, in my plan almost daily for many weeks without going off-road. Then one day I off-road with them. It usually seems to be a combination of factors that lead up to the splurge vs. just one thing.

Factors I’ve observed leading to my IDGAF attitude include:
    End of a recreational trip (sometimes I’m content with moderation and sometimes I lose it at the end)
    Family in town or family leaving town (esp college age daughters)
    Emotional stress/worry
    More alcohol than planned (more likely to ditch plan the day following but can happen night of as well)
    Insufficient sleep
    Over-restriction (or even a small deficit for >10 weeks)
    Ovulation

I appreciate everyone insights on this because I’m still trying to figure it out. I’ve been able to maintain my weight a long time in spite of this, and going over 500 cal isn’t a big deal, but it would be simpler for me if those instances were planned vs compensating for it after the deed is done. Work in progress.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    salted Rice Crackers and chocolate. no self control there at all.
  • 51caTlaDy
    51caTlaDy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Triscuits, Ritz crackers, Oreos, pizza
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Pastries/homemade & bakery goodies. Just CANNOT only eat a "portion"- if I know I can get my hands on it, I will eat it all. I just can't buy them or eat them (if I'm at work or an event where they are out on a buffet). It makes me sad, though, because I LOVE baking. If I make something now, I have to not eat any and wrap it up to give away... and lots of people are watching their diets, too, so then it makes it harder it even give it away. I'm a good baker, too :(
    And this includes Little Debbies (even thought they are kinda gross, lol!) and frozen Ring Dings... those Cosmic Brownies, Peanut Butter Bars, Swiss Rolls. It's ugly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issues moderating food, and I wouldn't call this anywhere near a binge or lack of control problem, but I have a hard time with wine. One glass is very difficult for me. I have no issues cutting it out completely only if I have to. But otherwise it is very hard to resist. Oh and sometimes coffee/espresso. If I could I would drink it all day.
  • cemetree
    cemetree Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Artisan or homemade bread items.
  • annelieserecovers
    annelieserecovers Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate (I don't eat any other type) and surprisingly apples for some reason
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky. My husband has boxes of cookies, tons of bread, ice cream. It doesn't really tempt me. But if I eat a really good piece of chocolate I want another one so bad. Sometimes I give in but never binge on them. It's taking me forever to get through my Easter candy! 😃
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate (I don't eat any other type) and surprisingly apples for some reason

The mention of apples reminded me of my berry obsession. Just blackberries & raspberries, really. I don't do this with blueberries or strawberries. But I will buy them and 1/2 the time eat ALL of them in the car on the drive home...especially if it's a pretty large container of blackberries. Usually I'm big on washing fruit beforehand but honestly I can't even wait for raspberries and blackberries.

• nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Pastries/homemade & bakery goodies. Just CANNOT only eat a "portion"- if I know I can get my hands on it, I will eat it all. I just can't buy them or eat them (if I'm at work or an event where they are out on a buffet). It makes me sad, though, because I LOVE baking. If I make something now, I have to not eat any and wrap it up to give away... and lots of people are watching their diets, too, so then it makes it harder it even give it away. I'm a good baker, too :(
    And this includes Little Debbies (even thought they are kinda gross, lol!) and frozen Ring Dings... those Cosmic Brownies, Peanut Butter Bars, Swiss Rolls. It's ugly.

Oh god this reminds me of a holiday we went on. We arrived at our holiday cottage after a long drive and we always go in and have a look about before getting everything in and most owners these days leave a little welcome tray of some cake or biscuits, tea bags, milk, bread whatever
    Anyway this particular person had left homemade flapjack, enough for two people for about a week if you had a bit every day.
    In the time that my partner was outside getting the bags in from the car I had eaten the whole bloody lot.

Disgraceful. I just sat there looking at this empty plate.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't know that its a trigger necessarily, but it probably makes me less inhibited. When I drink alcohol I always have sweet cravings and I usually give in to them. I don't worry about it too much because I don't drink regularly, and its usually for some sort of occasion so I was probably already planning on being over on my calories for the day.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that triggers me on a regular day, but on a 'free day'--like a celebratory event--kettle chips, snack candies you can grab a handful of (like M&Ms), summer sausage with cheese and crackers... basically any snack foods that are out and about, lol. I don't binge for days, but I will binge for that whole day. You'd think I'd been starving myself up to that point.

It's silly. On any other day, I can eat all of those things in moderation with no problem! But I guess it's a mental thing, where I tell myself, "Well, it's a birthday; I'm not counting today. May as well eat all the things!" And then I just can't control myself, no matter how much my stomach regrets it later.

Just wondering. How many calories do you normally consume on your free days? How often do you have them? I have unwanted binge days where I can go as high as 9000 calories that sabotage every other days calorie limits. Thanks.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have way too many triggers to list (all carbs and I don't mean the carbs in fruit). Honestly I can binge on anything if there is nothing tasty("bad") in the house to eat. I am this close to even getting rid of the oatmeal. And I have dried cranberries and also almonds in the house. That too almost became obsolete in my house but I am trying my best to keep them. I like the cranberries in my salad and don't want to give that up. But I will make a small cup of cranberries and almonds which I should not do.