Words that make you cringe

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    my mom has been saying "wuder" instead of water lately (or I just started noticing).

Sometimes it takes everything I have to not freak out

Is she from Maryland, Pennsylvania, or Delaware? A lot of infuriating pronunciations coming out of that mid-Atlantic area (I'm allowed to say that... I'm an ex-Balti-moron).

I'm a current Balti-moron :)

She grew up in Vermont then Florida, been in VA her whole adult life. I never hear anyone else say that?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You should all stay far away from Chaz Smith Youtube then, he mispronounces things in hilarious ways!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Lol don’t look at me I didn’t hear enough English growing up when I did it was spoken by 1st generation speakers. To boot my Moms from up North in USA my Dad West so add a twang to a yankee. Make it more fun Moms British decent. Dad Native American,German,Irish (we just discovered),Asian,Mexican ,y more decents. I’m old so I use terms that no longer exists. Just discovered Boho is Hippie so got me new bell bottoms!

The ones I hate is listening to folks speak Spanish in the Mexican restaurant...
    Guack-A-Moley lol Guacamole
    Or they ask for
    Tay- instead of Te’ or just say tea
    Tort-tea-LA - tortilla

It’s Kew-pins if your my Dad lol
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Taxes, snowflake, libtard, sheep, and things like “just sayin” or “casual fan”
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Curd, phlegm and slurp.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    "fam"
  • sabl57
    sabl57 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it's a few words that bother me.

I know it sounds petty, but when casual acquaintances or non-family members says, "Wow, you've lost so much... I am really PROUD of you!" - I know these folks mean well. However, I can't help but feeling it's a judgemental observation on their part.

Why should they be "Proud" of me? "Proud" is an adjective defined as: a feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.

When I think of the word 'proud' it seems as if it should be reserved for family members, or really just for me to say about myself - as in, "Yes, I am really proud!"

Couldn't these casual friends just be happy for me? - then I would beam with pride. ;)
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's mostly when people mispronounce words...especially these, my Big Three pet peeves.

chipotle (chipol-tay is the worst mispronunciation)
    supposedly (NOT "supposably"...argh!)
    voluptuous (people always wanna add an "m" in the middle, like it's volumptuous)

I worked with someone who pronounced it "chip-ottle"
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Thought of one I say that bugs my mom.

Both my brother and I say the "bag" in bagel like (plastic, paper) bag. I think we say the "el" part ok.
    Apparently, according to mom, we are both wrong!
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    Drives me crazy when I hear people say "golf of Mexico".
    No, it's not the GOLF it's the GULF!
  • Aveseves
    Aveseves Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Moist. Sexy, horny, whatevs and YOLO
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Snot and horny :s

ilhv8888yby8.png
    you don't like snot?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    assuming bulking is muscle gains
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    discharge
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Gaping
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Moist
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it when people say "kiddos" instead of children, kids, students, etc.
    It's just mildly annoying when mom friends call their children "the kiddos".
    It's rage-inducing when it's a social worker or teacher referring to teenagers or young adults with disabilities.