Words that make you cringe

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Thought of one I say that bugs my mom.

Both my brother and I say the "bag" in bagel like (plastic, paper) bag. I think we say the "el" part ok.
    Apparently, according to mom, we are both wrong!

I'm from Wisconsin and apparently we say bag weird, lol. We draw out the "a." So it sounds like baaaayg. How else am I supposed to pronounce it? Beg? I don't understand?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I can't stand it when people say "kiddos" instead of children, kids, students, etc.
    It's just mildly annoying when mom friends call their children "the kiddos".
    It's rage-inducing when it's a social worker or teacher referring to teenagers or young adults with disabilities.

Yeah, kiddos sounds patronizing.

It really does. I think there's just this certain way it's spoken too, very harsh on the double "d" sound that almost sounds angry and seems to be the usual way for people to pronounce it when they are trying to sound loving but really sound like condescending jerks.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    I’m pretty comfortable with all the words but one time I had this really weird ten minutes where I couldn’t believe that “o’clock” was a real word
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    I’m pretty comfortable with all the words but one time I had this really weird ten minutes where I couldn’t believe that “o’clock” was a real word

If you sit and think really hard about any particular word, it always starts feeling that way. :D
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    my mom has been saying "wuder" instead of water lately (or I just started noticing).

Sometimes it takes everything I have to not freak out

Is she from Maryland, Pennsylvania, or Delaware? A lot of infuriating pronunciations coming out of that mid-Atlantic area (I'm allowed to say that... I'm an ex-Balti-moron).

I love love love terrible regional pronunciations.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

If you sit and think really hard about any particular word, it always starts feeling that way. :D

that is so true. i had to write the word 'trash' on each of about 30 boxes and by the end i was convinced i made the word up.
  • seltzermint555
    edited May 2019
    I can't stand it when people say "kiddos" instead of children, kids, students, etc.
    It's just mildly annoying when mom friends call their children "the kiddos".
    It's rage-inducing when it's a social worker or teacher referring to teenagers or young adults with disabilities.

Yeah, kiddos sounds patronizing.

It really does. I think there's just this certain way it's spoken too, very harsh on the double "d" sound that almost sounds angry and seems to be the usual way for people to pronounce it when they are trying to sound loving but really sound like condescending jerks.

That 'kiddo' might be chosing your nursing home. Be kind lol.

Right!!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited May 2019
    Ok this may be too much, but I really, really hate it when someone says that someone's "$h*t don't stink". I HATE that! It immediately makes me dislike whoever said it.
  • fayley272
    fayley272 Posts: 4 Member
    “Squiffy”. Meaning “a bit drunk”. 🙈

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Pronouncing "dulce de leche" as "dolce".
  • seltzermint555
    It grates on my nerves when people pronounce celebrities' names wrong. I am not sure why - since I'm not personally affected. But it seems like people who do this have MANY celebs whose names they butcher. A few that come to mind...

Pierce Brosnan - Pierce Bronson
    Al Pacino - Al Pa-SEE-no
    Halle Berry - Hollyberry like it is one word, and Holly instead of Halle
    Justin Bieber - Justin Beaver
  • JB1775
    JB1775 Posts: 136 Member
    The misprunciation of "nuclear": "nukular"
    Also, "moist"
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I havent read the whole thread but my personal things are

'calling out' or being 'called out' instead of criticising/challenging/denouncing
    rest-bite instead of respite
    I am almost apoplectic if I hear or see people confuse the words wander and wonder.
    People who start their sentences with the word 'so'
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Oh another one is people pronouncing onions as 'ongiongs'. Arrrggghhhh
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Sooooooooooo the other day
    Yup that’s annoying your right hun.
    Another one is OMG
    Dude!
    Yaaaaaaa picture a Kardashian mouthing that
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    discharge

Yes this!
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Diet
    Proteins
    BMI
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Taxes
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    the phrase "doth protest too much" like when someone uses that in an unironic modern day scenario