Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

CICO and Menopause

1mumrevolution1mumrevolution Posts: 269Member Member Posts: 269Member Member
I have a question.
5 years ago, as I entered peri Menopause, I managed to lose 47lbs. That was a 2 year process. As I’ve gotten older and deeper into Menopause, I’m struggling to shift weight. 21lbs is back on (that took 13 months). I plateau’d and now the scale is shifting slowly in the wrong direction again.
I’ve always believed in calories in/calories out but with me eating at maintenance and often lower, powerlifting 3 times a week and the scale slowly rising I’m wondering if for meno women, the whole CICO thing needs to be rethought/scrapped? I’m 51.
Any input?

Replies

• Machka9Machka9 Posts: 13,889Member Member Posts: 13,889Member Member
    At the age of 48, I had been in perimenopause for 6 years. Nevertheless, I lost 25 kg in 36 weeks using CI<CO.

Life intervened, and I gained some weight back. I'm 52 now, still in perimenopause but showing signs that I may be nearing menopause. I have recently tightened up my logging again. And I'm losing weight again. :)

Do you need to rethink "eating at maintenance"? I know my maintenance is quite low, unfortunately.
  • cheryldumaischeryldumais Posts: 1,556Member Member Posts: 1,556Member Member
    I lost my weight (100+ lbs) between the age of 59 and 61. I do find it was slower than anticipated and my calories were very low (1200) but I was also very sedentary. That is slowly changing and I have maintained for a year and a half. My weight does creep up but often it's because I'm eating a bite of this and that here and there. I really have to log and weigh constantly to stay on track. So I guess what I'm trying to say is my experience is that it can be done. Calories do count but you really have to work hard at it. The alternative for me would be to go back over 200 lbs. Hang in there and don't give up.
  • mph323mph323 Posts: 3,267Member Member Posts: 3,267Member Member
    I lost about ~50 pounds between the ages of 66-67, and have been maintaining for over a year. My weight came off very slowly because I had a desk job and a long commute, but it came off as predicted for my calorie and activity levels. I think as we age, we sometimes begin to move a little less without decreasing our calories to compensate and that can make it seem like CICO no longer applies.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 12,531Member Member Posts: 12,531Member Member
    I have a question.
    5 years ago, as I entered peri Menopause, I managed to lose 47lbs. That was a 2 year process. As I’ve gotten older and deeper into Menopause, I’m struggling to shift weight. 21lbs is back on (that took 13 months). I plateau’d and now the scale is shifting slowly in the wrong direction again.
    I’ve always believed in calories in/calories out but with me eating at maintenance and often lower, powerlifting 3 times a week and the scale slowly rising I’m wondering if for meno women, the whole CICO thing needs to be rethought/scrapped? I’m 51.
    Any input?

It's quite possible you're TDEE is lower now than it was 5 years ago, whether due to lifestyle or hormonal issues. It's also possible your accuracy was different then and now. Have you had blood work done recently? Do you use a food scale?
  • noobootsnooboots Posts: 281Member Member Posts: 281Member Member
    I have a question.
    Any input?

I believe I am in peri menopause and may have been for the past 18 months or a bit more.
    The last time I lost any substantial weight was about 4-5 years ago, and it came off quite quickly when I focused on a lower carb approach and I wasnt counting calories. for the past 18 months to a year when I have tried it again, it wasnt so easy and Ive realised that I cant just rely on cutting certain things out, I need to count calories as well. It has definitely slowed my loss compared to years ago when I used to lose weight.

However it is moving, although I have a lot to lose and therefore of course it will come off quicker at th start. I am 5 weeks in and have lost about 13lb now. I am aiming for a pound a week.
  • MostlyWaterMostlyWater Posts: 4,038Member Member Posts: 4,038Member Member
    You can believe or not believe as much as you want, but there is a bottom line as to how little you can eat, and how much you can move.

Iceberg lettuce and all day in the gym? That's not life.
  • 1mumrevolution1mumrevolution Posts: 269Member Member Posts: 269Member Member
    Yep, weighing and measuring and tracking. There is room for improvement though. I think what I’m really struggling with is how much harder it is now than a few years ago. Thanks for all input.
  • 1mumrevolution1mumrevolution Posts: 269Member Member Posts: 269Member Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    At the age of 48, I had been in perimenopause for 6 years. Nevertheless, I lost 25 kg in 36 weeks using CI<CO.

Life intervened, and I gained some weight back. I'm 52 now, still in perimenopause but showing signs that I may be nearing menopause. I have recently tightened up my logging again. And I'm losing weight again. :)

Do you need to rethink "eating at maintenance"? I know my maintenance is quite low, unfortunately.

Yeah, I think my maintenance may not be my “today” maintenance, though I have crunched my figures through a calorie calculator.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Posts: 211Member Member Posts: 211Member Member
    Woo me all you want but what I am saying is literally proven science. There is nothing even remotely controversial about it. I honestly dont understand you people. 🤷‍♀️
    edited June 5
  • 33gail3333gail33 Posts: 211Member Member Posts: 211Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Unfortunately lots of people don't understand what woo is for, and I think it's often lurkers who hit the button and run. Don't lose any sleep over it, pun intended :wink:

😂