Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO and Menopause

1mumrevolution
1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
I have a question.
5 years ago, as I entered peri Menopause, I managed to lose 47lbs. That was a 2 year process. As I’ve gotten older and deeper into Menopause, I’m struggling to shift weight. 21lbs is back on (that took 13 months). I plateau’d and now the scale is shifting slowly in the wrong direction again.
I’ve always believed in calories in/calories out but with me eating at maintenance and often lower, powerlifting 3 times a week and the scale slowly rising I’m wondering if for meno women, the whole CICO thing needs to be rethought/scrapped? I’m 51.
Any input?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    At the age of 48, I had been in perimenopause for 6 years. Nevertheless, I lost 25 kg in 36 weeks using CI<CO.

Life intervened, and I gained some weight back. I'm 52 now, still in perimenopause but showing signs that I may be nearing menopause. I have recently tightened up my logging again. And I'm losing weight again. :)

Do you need to rethink "eating at maintenance"? I know my maintenance is quite low, unfortunately.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I lost about ~50 pounds between the ages of 66-67, and have been maintaining for over a year. My weight came off very slowly because I had a desk job and a long commute, but it came off as predicted for my calorie and activity levels. I think as we age, we sometimes begin to move a little less without decreasing our calories to compensate and that can make it seem like CICO no longer applies.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I have a question.
    5 years ago, as I entered peri Menopause, I managed to lose 47lbs. That was a 2 year process. As I’ve gotten older and deeper into Menopause, I’m struggling to shift weight. 21lbs is back on (that took 13 months). I plateau’d and now the scale is shifting slowly in the wrong direction again.
    I’ve always believed in calories in/calories out but with me eating at maintenance and often lower, powerlifting 3 times a week and the scale slowly rising I’m wondering if for meno women, the whole CICO thing needs to be rethought/scrapped? I’m 51.
    Any input?

It's quite possible you're TDEE is lower now than it was 5 years ago, whether due to lifestyle or hormonal issues. It's also possible your accuracy was different then and now. Have you had blood work done recently? Do you use a food scale?
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I have a question.
    Any input?

I believe I am in peri menopause and may have been for the past 18 months or a bit more.
    The last time I lost any substantial weight was about 4-5 years ago, and it came off quite quickly when I focused on a lower carb approach and I wasnt counting calories. for the past 18 months to a year when I have tried it again, it wasnt so easy and Ive realised that I cant just rely on cutting certain things out, I need to count calories as well. It has definitely slowed my loss compared to years ago when I used to lose weight.

However it is moving, although I have a lot to lose and therefore of course it will come off quicker at th start. I am 5 weeks in and have lost about 13lb now. I am aiming for a pound a week.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You can believe or not believe as much as you want, but there is a bottom line as to how little you can eat, and how much you can move.

Iceberg lettuce and all day in the gym? That's not life.
  • 1mumrevolution
    Yep, weighing and measuring and tracking. There is room for improvement though. I think what I’m really struggling with is how much harder it is now than a few years ago. Thanks for all input.
  • 1mumrevolution
    Machka9 wrote: »
    At the age of 48, I had been in perimenopause for 6 years. Nevertheless, I lost 25 kg in 36 weeks using CI<CO.

Life intervened, and I gained some weight back. I'm 52 now, still in perimenopause but showing signs that I may be nearing menopause. I have recently tightened up my logging again. And I'm losing weight again. :)

Do you need to rethink "eating at maintenance"? I know my maintenance is quite low, unfortunately.

Yeah, I think my maintenance may not be my “today” maintenance, though I have crunched my figures through a calorie calculator.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2019
    Woo me all you want but what I am saying is literally proven science. There is nothing even remotely controversial about it. I honestly dont understand you people. 🤷‍♀️
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Unfortunately lots of people don't understand what woo is for, and I think it's often lurkers who hit the button and run. Don't lose any sleep over it, pun intended :wink:

😂