Impressions on the internet

Options
124»

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »
    The biggest eye opener for me was when I went to Europa (fitness expo) and meeting all these girls I admired on Instagram. They looked incredibly different than their pictures online. It was a great lesson learned for me, as I had tried very hard to look like them for a large portion of that year.

My daughter is almost 7 and I have made it a mission to not allow her on social media until she is maybe 15-16.

Good luck with that! All of her friends will likely have cell phones in a year or two (if they don't already).

I would much rather my daughter have supervised access to the internet in an environment where healthy discussion is encouraged, than have her get her forbidden 'fix' and 'information' in the schoolyard or at a friend's house. Denying her access to something that her peers have is pretty much guaranteed to backfire on you. ;)

I agree with the post this was directed towards. My step son has been asking for a phone since he was 5. WHICH IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. Like why would you need a phone? But we got him an IPAD instead and it backfired on us TREMENDOUSLY. We took it away and haven’t let him back on the internet and everything is soooo much better. His behavior and such has improved drastically. Now when he gets a little older and more mature I won’t deny him the chance to try internet again but kids aren’t in the right mindset below teens to be encouraged by teverything on the internet.

My sons who are 12 and 10 had phones since they were 6 and 8.

Why do they need a phone? To contact myself or another adult in the event of a emergency. A peace of mind to know where exactly they are when we aren't in the same vincinity. To communicate with each other and I can literally see what they are up to.

Even when I'm in a different part of the world I'm still on that azz doing homework with them thru video chat.

It's how alot of kids these days interact with other for fun now like tiktok. I have the upmost trust in my sons and I won't deprive them of fun life experiences out of fear that something bad may happen.

I think once, my oldest told me all excitedly "did you know you can quickly charge your phone by putting it in the microwave?" I just gave him a stern look and say "boy I wish you would, watch what happens"

That was that 😆

That only thing that sucks with kids and phones is that they are so clumsy and careless with them. Cracked screens is a constant source of agitation in my house.

See I gave my son an iPad to test the trust but he proved to me that he isn’t at all ready for what the internet has to offer and phones. Won’t go into much detail but it was EXTREMELY inappropriate.