What is the one thing about you that surprises people?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Teenybudda wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    When I was a kid I used to live on the streets.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that

It wasn't actually that bad! (Better than being at 'home' anyway) and was only for a short while.

Well I'm glad it was only temporary!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness....
    That I’ve been with the same organization for 24 years. Longevity in the work place seems to be a dying concept.

I've been at my current job for 6 years, which to me is a chunk of time. A lot of people here have been on the job for 15, 24, 33 years! My coworker is only 36 and has been here for 15 years. I've never seen that anywhere else I have worked. You're definitely right about it being a dying concept.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness....
    That I’ve been with the same organization for 24 years. Longevity in the work place seems to be a dying concept.

31 years for me. My employer has changed its name twice, and the organizational structure several times, but it's been the same job.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    I don't like bacon very much.

post reported.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Hmm many people have assumed over the years that I always had an easy life when it is the exact opposite, grew up poor and with a lot of problems.

I’m not Latina.

I’m sweet. My face is kind of serious so before they get to know me people have told me they thought I wasn’t friendly.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Hmm many people have assumed over the years that I always had an easy life when it is the exact opposite, grew up poor and with a lot of problems.

I've had this too. I didn't grow up poor (though certainly not rich, either). But my twenties were a time of debt, living in a moldy trailer for years, driving cars I prayed would make it to my next payday, saving up to get a tooth pulled, etc. Because I have a college degree, no kids, pretty nice life now at 42...a lot of people assume that I went from a sorority to an accounting job in a seamless happy life.

Come to think of it, most of the same people also assume that my figure now is the heaviest I've ever been which is hilarious since I was over 300 lb in the past.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Highschool dropout, never stepped foot into a college, no technical skills, all I have is my GED.

I was 27 when I got my driving license.

My kids were planned at 19.

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in 7th grade I walked into my 5th period class (the one after lunch, a rambunctious group) and this girl named Cynthia jumps up and says, "Oh my god- I saw you at church yesterday!'

Then her friend sitting next to her was like, "For reals? He goes to your church?"

Next thing I know everyone is chattering like it's a Salem witch trial. The teacher quieted the class down and then adds her 2 cents-- "Well that was a shocker! Okay everyone, open your books to...."

I remember feeling really disappointed that day. I used to dish out jokes, now I felt like I was a joke. You try to better yourself as a person (a 13 year old one at that) and your own peers just can't fathom that. It was a side of darkness I wasn't ready to see.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I used to live on the streets.

I used to work with someone who claimed to live on the streets for a couple years. He said he mostly stole from convenience stores to get by. Tbh, I never really put much stock in what he said. But that still pretty neat, if it was by choice.
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    oh, I got one. I don't like bacon very much. That always kinda surprises people.

I much prefer sausage

This does not surprise me.

Also, breakfast sausage is underrated.

My long lost breakfast order: Two eggs over easy, corned beef hash, rye toast, two sausage, and a Pepsi.

Yes! Thank you!
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    big fan of hanging out near the grocery store and catcalling women
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Used to visit grocery stores at night hoping to get noticed.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Used to visit grocery stores at night hoping to get noticed.

😂
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    I guess it depends who you ask. I try to be myself all the time, but some superficial relationships are only exposed to certain parts if me. Probably only my oldest, closest friends know and can reconcile the seemingly disparate tastes, emotions, experiences, even the ways I express myself.

Sometimes it’s strange and oddly embarrassing to have someone discover a previously unknown thing about me. 🤷‍♀️
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I switched to a plant-based diet in July due to a challenge my daughter had from high school friends. She and I have decided to stay with it. Everyone thought we would be running back to meat, but we prefer the plant-based diet.

I did the same beginning of the year and love it!
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    Danw586 wrote: »
    I was once 50 lbs overweight with relative little muscle. Wasn't until I got in shape that things started clicking in my life

I appreciated your before/after pics. Very cool
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,054 Member
    Options
    Coworkers are sometimes amazed how I can wrap up a conversation about football or weightlifting with one person, then turn to begin an equally in-depth conversation about Marvel movies or AD&D with somebody else. As if somehow you have to choose which to be knowledgeable about, sports or nerds.

My father still does a double-take every time I visit him and begin eating dinner with my left hand instead of my right, often swapping hands mid-meal if I need to reach for the salt or whatnot. I'm ambidextrous, a fact I discovered in college when a buddy broke his right arm, so a group of us decided to show solidarity by all doing everything left-handed while he healed. Lots of consternation from the others trying to chicken-scratch class notes or pick up a fork while I was able to continue almost uninterrupted. (My left hand writing is only moderately legible, but I attribute that mostly just to lack of practice not lack of ability.)