What is the one thing about you that surprises people?

Replies

• laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    I think that my frequent withdrawing into hibernation mode sometimes confuses my friends. I love them. I am mostly outgoing and kinda loud, but then i need to recharge and not communicate for a while.

Likewise when I’m hurt or processing, I need to do it alone. I don’t want to talk it out until the dust has settled a bit.

Anyway, I think people have a difficult time reconciling these different parts of my personality.

I definitely can relate to this and I’ve also lost many friends throughout the years. What I’ve learnt is that the real ones stick and if someone doesn’t understand me for who I am, then it wasn’t meant to be.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    My sparkling sense of humor
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    jc5jnsjagx6b.jpeg
    People are usually surprised to find out that I run barefoot on trails and pavement (I don’t like going barefoot on grass though) To me it just feels free, natural and fun!

Aren’t you afraid of stepping on glass or something similar?

I visually scan the ground ahead of me, practice proper foot placement and run in areas that are less likely to have glass strewn about. I nicked my toe on a small piece of glass once in over 5 years of running this way and I survived. I’ve cut my fingers/hands many many more times than that in the kitchen yet I haven’t given up cooking. Actually the most dangerous thing about barefoot running is driving to the trail because I’m extremely likely to be injured in a car accident, at least statistically that’s how I see it ;)

So true, it reminds me of when someone is afraid to fly but they get in a car on a daily basis. Yet statistically speaking driving in a car is more dangerous.

I know this is true because Superman said it on at least 2 occassions-Superman and Superman Returns.
  • PAFC84
    I think that my frequent withdrawing into hibernation mode sometimes confuses my friends. I love them. I am mostly outgoing and kinda loud, but then i need to recharge and not communicate for a while.

Likewise when I’m hurt or processing, I need to do it alone. I don’t want to talk it out until the dust has settled a bit.

Anyway, I think people have a difficult time reconciling these different parts of my personality.

I definitely can relate to this and I’ve also lost many friends throughout the years. What I’ve learnt is that the real ones stick and if someone doesn’t understand me for who I am, then it wasn’t meant to be.

So then you put dead mice through their door letter box, right?
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    edited June 2019
    ythannah wrote: »
    That I prefer metal/hard rock/heavy alternative music, pretty much exclusively.

For some reason, when I tell people that, they think I'm joking or being sarcastic. (Sarcasm from me is no surprise, however)

Same here (both for my love of metal and use of sarcasm). People who don't know me well are always surprised when I show up in a Slayer T-shirt or talk about metal shows I attend.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My husband doesn't eat meat so in restaurants people (dining companions or servers) are often surprised that I do. I can't tell you how many times they have laid out my roast beef or fajita in front of him and given me his salad or veggie entrée.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    People are usually surprised by how petite I am IRL. Most people expect me to be taller and heavier.
  • PAFC84
    My husband doesn't eat meat so in restaurants people (dining companions or servers) are often surprised that I do. I can't tell you how many times they have laid out my roast beef or fajita in front of him and given me his salad or veggie entrée.

Ouch.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2019
    PAFC84 wrote: »

Ouch.

Nah, he's a big bearded guy who looks like he's on the hunt for some beers n' bacon...so no offense ever.
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    People are usually surprised by how petite I am IRL. Most people expect me to be taller and heavier.

I could see how that could happen. Now I want to meet you IRL! LOL
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I am really easy going about pretty much everything... until you p*ss me off. New people are always surprised the first time they see me lay down the boundaries (I don't think being 5"1 helps my case either :smile:)
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Probably how happy and sane I am when they find out what I've been through.

Or maybe hearing what I've been through is more surprising.

Either way, the past is past and it has taken enough from me. No need to add my present and future to that too
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    I'm intimidated and shy around new people.. anxious when meeting someone new
    but once I open up (coach this nut)..I'm loud, talkative, and silly..LOL..
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I asked my husband how he would answer this question about me, and he said that I’m shy. Apparently many people find me intimidating and I come off as much more confident than I really am.

For my husband, it would be that he’s not as cool with smoking and drugs as people expect him to be. He has long hair and kids mistake him for a hippie and ask him to buy things for them, and he actually doesn’t do that sort of thing at all and isn’t okay with it.