Goals. Ugh

Options
caco_ethes
caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
I watch a LOT of motivational youtubers and they all talk about waking up early to work on and journal about and prioritize their goals. The more I hear this, the less it makes sense to me, kinda like saying the name Lois over and over. You know. Like you do.

Anyway, the idea of goals has been on my mind a lot lately. What the heck are my goals supposed to even be? Am I supposed to be trying to set up a side hustle? Should i be dissatisfied with my existence in the absence of any real goals? Just what am I missing out on??

Just curious what your goals are, specifically. I mean really specifically. Also.. how did you realize these were your goals? Does one just sense their goals? How do i know what i want to want? The word ‘goals’ is infuriatingly abstract for me at this point.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    LMAO

My goal is to take control of the nutritional part of my life and get healthier.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    I thought this said "Ghosts" until I got in here and read your actual post. I'm not prepared to talk about goals, only prepared to talk about ghosts, so...I don't know what to say

Was talking about ghosts a goal of yours or how did you know to prepare for it? More importantly, did you journal your gratitude whilst sipping lemon water this morning?
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I thought this said "Ghosts" until I got in here and read your actual post. I'm not prepared to talk about goals, only prepared to talk about ghosts, so...I don't know what to say

Was talking about ghosts a goal of yours or how did you know to prepare for it? More importantly, did you journal your gratitude whilst sipping lemon water this morning?

Talking about ghosts is always a goal of mine--I have a board at home that's just full of ghosts and talking, I see it when I wake up and it helps me to remember what I'm on this earth for.

My gratitude already appears in a few peer-reviewed publications about lemon water, so instead I just focused my own positivity-conversion-energies on making a cosmically-balanced sandwich
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Talking about ghosts is always a goal of mine--I have a board at home that's just full of ghosts and talking, I see it when I wake up and it helps me to remember what I'm on this earth for.

My gratitude already appears in a few peer-reviewed publications about lemon water, so instead I just focused my own positivity-conversion-energies on making a cosmically-balanced sandwich

I might actually real life love you. If its not that, I’m possibly getting a UTI
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lbsansouci wrote: »
    LMAO

My goal is to take control of the nutritional part of my life and get healthier.

So today, specifically, how are you getting closer to achieving yourgoals?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Filling out my food diary for the next few days to avoid waking up frustrated or lazy about my food choices.

Can I be a flower girl when you two get hitched? <3
  • Reckoner67
    Options

I might actually real life love you. If its not that, I’m possibly getting a UTI

Spoiler alert: I've been down this road before, grab those cranberry pills
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I’m trying coffee instead, i mean cranberry pills are not even in whole food form so they’re probably fattening
  • Reckoner67
    Options

I’m trying coffee instead, i mean cranberry pills are not even in whole food form so they’re probably fattening

No you can get them made out of animal poop now, that probably qualifies as organic and free-range and low-fat and low-carb and high-protein and...I mean, it's animal poop. If it's good enough for an animal to leave in a field somewhere, it's gotta be good for people! This is the beauty of "all-natural"
  • daizirose
    daizirose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I set goals every month. You can have short term goals or long term goals. Examples for your body....

Cardio 3 x per week (Anything you like or something specific)
    Strength 2 x per week (Whatever you like)
    Drink 8 cups of water per day
    Track food
    Cut out bad carbs and sugar

Mind....
    Meditate 20 mins per day
    Read positive affirmations
    Take a class, research

Spirit....
    Pray everyday
    Daily bible reading/devotions

Insert your own interest. It's easier to accomplish things if it's something you like to do. Also make some goals somewhat challenging so that you stepping out of your comfort zone. But not overwhelming. Lose the all or nothing thinking. You can track your goals in a journal like you would track your food. Does it always happen? Nope!!! However setting goals helps you to procrastinate less and do more. hth
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    I’m going to try to do a cut the next 10-12 weeks - just too see if I can - I’ve never set any real goals before - but will be 40 in sept - and my mantra if you will for 2019 was to be fit by 40 - being the procrastinator that I am I didn’t start working out til April and now it’s close to September i figure should probably get serious - so I started today and we’ll see how it goes - if I have abs by September I’ll throw a selfie in the shirts off thread like a mfp’n boss yo
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    I’m going to try to do a cut the next 10-12 weeks - just too see if I can - I’ve never set any real goals before - but will be 40 in sept - and my mantra if you will for 2019 was to be fit by 40 - being the procrastinator that I am I didn’t start working out til April and now it’s close to September i figure should probably get serious - so I started today and we’ll see how it goes - if I have abs by September I’ll throw a selfie in the shirts off thread like a mfp’n boss yo

What day in September?
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    daizirose wrote: »
    I set goals every month. You can have short term goals or long term goals. Examples for your body....

Cardio 3 x per week (Anything you like or something specific)
    Strength 2 x per week (Whatever you like)
    Drink 8 cups of water per day
    Track food
    Cut out bad carbs and sugar

Mind....
    Meditate 20 mins per day
    Read positive affirmations
    Take a class, research

Spirit....
    Pray everyday
    Daily bible reading/devotions

Insert your own interest. It's easier to accomplish things if it's something you like to do. Also make some goals somewhat challenging so that you stepping out of your comfort zone. But not overwhelming. Lose the all or nothing thinking. You can track your goals in a journal like you would track your food. Does it always happen? Nope!!! However setting goals helps you to procrastinate less and do more. hth

So goals are not necessarily a thing to accomplish the end result of. They’re often the introduction of a new habit, and meeting that goal is a daily thing, not a thing you cross off as done on your bucket list

I realize that i sound like a numbskull but they literally have lost all meaning to me and I’m curious what other people think 😅
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I think my goals have morphed into daily rituals that keep me moving. I mean, I have some distant goals, but in the now my goals are really tiny steps in the right direction They move me slightly forward or at least keep me from losing too much ground during unmotivated times. I’d almost be embarrassed to admit I have to codify them in order to get them done. When I’m sad especially, I even write down things like grooming and self-care.

My long-term goals are things that I know make me feel good- like writing something meaningful or accomplishing certain physical feats, etc.
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Building habits can lead to achieving goals-good or bad. The problem with goals is that when they are too lofty, one can get frustrated & quit; or, when they are accomplished, one can get lazy & quit. They really have to have that sweet spot of being achievable while still being challenging and changeable.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

What day in September?