Goals. Ugh

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I think generally humans are trying to forever find a purpose. Setting goals gives every little thing they do every day some kind of purpose. I share your sentiments, @caco_ethes. I don't particularly care to do anything with purpose. Nothing wrong with it though.

I was just PMing a friend who said maybe we’re just content. That isn’t the opposite of being driven, its just knowing when you have enough.

I like the thought but if I’m so content, why do i fel like I should be more driven? Is that just american standards beating me down? 😅
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    I think generally humans are trying to forever find a purpose. Setting goals gives every little thing they do every day some kind of purpose. I share your sentiments, @caco_ethes. I don't particularly care to do anything with purpose. Nothing wrong with it though.

But like anything purpose is subjective right - I have no real purpose to get fitter than i already am other than I just want to see if i can - I want to see if I’m disciplined enough- but I’m not sure what purpose it serves in the grand scheme - if I decided not to do this nothing would change good or bad I don’t guess ... hmm good thread caco good thread indeed
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of goals. Short term strength goals, long term strength goals. Overall fitness goals. Pay of student loan goals. For me, it is all about continuous improvement. I strive to be a better me every day. I determine what in my life I want to improve, and set goals to make it happen.
  • caco_ethes
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

But like anything purpose is subjective right - I have no real purpose to get fitter than i already am other than I just want to see if i can - I want to see if I’m disciplined enough- but I’m not sure what purpose it serves in the grand scheme - if I decided not to do this nothing would change good or bad I don’t guess ... hmm good thread caco good thread indeed

See? It’s a rabbit hole! The subjectivity of it is what drives me nuts. I’m an accountant, man. I need things black and white.

I’m curious how this whole concept fits in as well. Are people who readily meet inner and outer expectations more goal driven? See the quiz below

https://quiz.gretchenrubin.com/
  • Cowsfan1
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    I’m going to try to do a cut the next 10-12 weeks - just too see if I can - I’ve never set any real goals before - but will be 40 in sept - and my mantra if you will for 2019 was to be fit by 40 - being the procrastinator that I am I didn’t start working out til April and now it’s close to September i figure should probably get serious - so I started today and we’ll see how it goes - if I have abs by September I’ll throw a selfie in the shirts off thread like a mfp’n boss yo

What day in September?

Dude, we are the same age--to the day

Lol small world man - but fugg 40 bro
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I’m going to try to do a cut the next 10-12 weeks - just too see if I can - I’ve never set any real goals before - but will be 40 in sept - and my mantra if you will for 2019 was to be fit by 40 - being the procrastinator that I am I didn’t start working out til April and now it’s close to September i figure should probably get serious - so I started today and we’ll see how it goes - if I have abs by September I’ll throw a selfie in the shirts off thread like a mfp’n boss yo

What day in September?

40 is hot on dudes so don’t let it get to you
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

What day in September?

It'll be cool, I didn't expect to make it past 36 for some weird reason so it's all been bonus since then
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options

What day in September?

It'll be cool, I didn't expect to make it past 36 for some weird reason so it's all been bonus since then

All her life my sister thought she’d die at 37. She’s 39 now. 😊
  • Reckoner67
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

See? It’s a rabbit hole! The subjectivity of it is what drives me nuts. I’m an accountant, man. I need things black and white.

I’m curious how this whole concept fits in as well. Are people who readily meet inner and outer expectations more goal driven? See the quiz below

I took this quiz and it said

"On the cake spectrum, you are:

Fruitcake. Loaded with calories, a lousy-Christmas-gift meme, and probably capable of killing someone if you're thrown hard enough."

I didn't pay the extra $$ to find out more details--I think I've read enough about myself for the day. Introspection is hard
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I was just PMing a friend who said maybe we’re just content. That isn’t the opposite of being driven, its just knowing when you have enough.

I like the thought but if I’m so content, why do i fel like I should be more driven? Is that just american standards beating me down? 😅

Yes.

It could be contentment. It could be apathy. It could be that the electrician that wired you was on their last day and just forgot about that part.

Couldn’t i at least have gotten a driven electrician? Sheesh
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Fruitcake. Loaded with calories, a lousy-Christmas-gift meme, and probably capable of killing someone if you're thrown hard enough."

I didn't pay the extra $$ to find out more details--I think I've read enough about myself for the day. Introspection is hard

You are

FOR SURE

a Questioner
  • Cowsfan1
    Options

What day in September?

40 is hot on dudes so don’t let it get to you

Good to know
  • Reckoner67
    Options

You are

FOR SURE

a Questioner

Hmmm, I'll never tell. I'm stickin with "Fruit Cake"
  • Reckoner67
    Options

What day in September?

What day in September?

my birthday is 9/5

We all gotta make some sorta club
  • Cowsfan1
    Options

What day in September?

Ha - I just wanna make it to 75 and anything over is gravy - I wonder if I’ll feel like a failure in the afterlife if I don’t make it to 75 - damnit me and my goals - maybe it should drop the age to a more realistic # what do you think
  • Reckoner67
    Options

What day in September?

Ha - I just wanna make it to 75 and anything over is gravy - I wonder if I’ll feel like a failure in the afterlife if I don’t make it to 75 - damnit me and my goals - maybe it should drop the age to a more realistic # what do you think

Shoot for 75. Why not? If I make it that long, I actually intend for those to be some of the happiest years of my life