Getting close to goal.

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
Lost 70 pounds so far, with just 12 more to go. I dropped my MFP from 2 pounds a week to .5 which I should have done much earlier but honestly overlooked it. My calories went from 1,970 to over 2,500. I am not taking in 2,500 calories but that is what MFP has it now. I just hit 2,000 calories today for the first time since starting this healthy eating thing. All my macros are good.
Anyway I used a popular TDEE calculator today. How accurate are they in general? Also since I upped my calories from taking in around 1,700 to 2,000, is that safe? I mean that won't cause any weight gain because I'm still under what MFP set it and my macros are good right?

Replies

• suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Lost 70 pounds so far, with just 12 more to go. I dropped my MFP from 2 pounds a week to .5 which I should have done much earlier but honestly overlooked it. My calories went from 1,970 to over 2,500. I am not taking in 2,500 calories but that is what MFP has it now. I just hit 2,000 calories today for the first time since starting this healthy eating thing. All my macros are good.
    Anyway I used a popular TDEE calculator today. How accurate are they in general? Also since I upped my calories from taking in around 1,700 to 2,000, is that safe? I mean that won't cause any weight gain because I'm still under what MFP set it and my macros are good right?

I've lost just shy of 40 and have 3 to go. It's been a VERY slow go to lose these last 7 pounds or so. I don't eat back any exercise calories, or if rarely I do, not more than 50 -100. Yet as soon as I eat higher, I gain. For example on vacation, or when others were telling me that I should try eating more calories to break a plateau. I gain pretty easily.

I don't imagine that when I reach my goal, I'll be able to eat much more than I do right now. I will be afraid to eat much more.
  • OAS5
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »

I've lost just shy of 40 and have 3 to go. It's been a VERY slow go to lose these last 7 pounds or so. I don't eat back any exercise calories, or if rarely I do, not more than 50 -100. Yet as soon as I eat higher, I gain. For example on vacation, or when others were telling me that I should try eating more calories to break a plateau. I gain pretty easily.

I don't imagine that when I reach my goal, I'll be able to eat much more than I do right now. I will be afraid to eat much more.

Yikes, I have the she fears. I guess we all go through this in some way. If I notice at movement up I will revert back to the calories I was at. Thanks for the post and awesome job on the weight loss.
  • esy10401
    esy10401 Posts: 10 Member
    Congratulations! Amazing job.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member

Yikes, I have the she fears. I guess we all go through this in some way. If I notice at movement up I will revert back to the calories I was at. Thanks for the post and awesome job on the weight loss.

Congrats to YOU!! 70 pounds is amazing!!
  • OAS5

Congrats to YOU!! 70 pounds is amazing!!

Thank you, I appreciate that. Started at 272.6 and now at 202.6 roughly. Next big step is seeing 199 on the scale, then 190 is the ultimate goal, possibly 185. It's been one hell of a journey I will say that. Never thought I'd get the message and do it. It's a completely different world.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

All calculators are just estimates, a good starting point. Honestly, if you're willing to do a little math, you should be able to figure out your TDEE based on your logging so far. You say you were set to 2 lbs per week, but how much was your actual weight loss per week on average? If it was 2 lbs, you were in a 1000 calorie deficit, 1.5 lbs is a 750 calorie deficit, 1 lb is a 500 calorie deficit per day. Add the calorie deficit to the calories you were eating, and that's should be your TDEE. This of course assumes accurate and consistent data. If you're logging wasn't always accurate, then just go with whatever calculator you like ans tweak as you go based on your results.

Congrats on your success so far!
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    If your deficit was accurate, then upping you calories should only give you a temporary gain, before you start losing again, due to stomach and digestive contents. I prefer to up by 200 calories every month as I ease into maintenance and I always see a slight stall the week I do that and then back to normal. Based on you actual rate of loss you can calculate what you maintenance should be by multiplying 500 times average loss per week (averaged over the past 4 weeks is a good place to start). adding that to your average daily consumption will give you maintenance calories. To be at .5 lbs per week will be 250 calories per day less than that.
  • OAS5
    kimny72 wrote: »

All calculators are just estimates, a good starting point. Honestly, if you're willing to do a little math, you should be able to figure out your TDEE based on your logging so far. You say you were set to 2 lbs per week, but how much was your actual weight loss per week on average? If it was 2 lbs, you were in a 1000 calorie deficit, 1.5 lbs is a 750 calorie deficit, 1 lb is a 500 calorie deficit per day. Add the calorie deficit to the calories you were eating, and that's should be your TDEE. This of course assumes accurate and consistent data. If you're logging wasn't always accurate, then just go with whatever calculator you like ans tweak as you go based on your results.

Congrats on your success so far!

Thanks, I'm gonna try and figure that out. I don't think I lost 2 pounds per week. In fact I know it wasn't because I'm coming up on a year. July 9th of last year and I'm at 70 pounds down. It's gotta be 47-48 weeks now and down 70 pounds. Not exactly 2 per week I'd say. Thanks for the suggestions though. Thank you for the congrats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    There's a thread here in the "Most Helpful Posts" about alternative ways to find & move to your maintenance calories:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level

If you add a substantial number of calories all at once, you will be likely to see a jump on the scale. That's perfectly normal: On average, you have more food in your digestive tract than previously; that food has weight while it's in transit. (Full digestive transit can take up to two days, or even a bit more.) Further, probably some of that food is carbs or contains sodium. Either of those will increase water weight temporarily while your body is metabolizing them. That water also has weight. So the scale goes up a little . . . but none of that is fat, so there's no reason to worry about it.

Only if you exceed your actual maintenance calories do you see fat gain. In a very general sense, quick gains you see on the scale are unlikely to be fat gain, and very likely to be water retention or digestive contents. As you're moving to maintenance calories, especially if you add calories gradually, any fat gain would seem more like it was weight gradually creeping upward.

It takes roughly 3500 calories above maintenance calories to gain a pound of fat. If you've been losing 2 pounds a week, you've been eating 1000 calories under maintenance calories every day. Eating 500 calories more a day might lead to a scale jump (the water and digestive contents thing), but there's no way it's going to lead to fat gain. You'd still be losing fat (hidden behind that water/digestive-contents thing) at the rate of about a pound a week. In a week or two, that would be obvious.

Over-reacting to scale fluctuations (that can't possibly be fat) can be easy to do, but it's not very helpful or useful. It's better to try to understand what's really going on.

Best wishes!
  • OAS5
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's a thread here in the "Most Helpful Posts" about alternative ways to find & move to your maintenance calories:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level

If you add a substantial number of calories all at once, you will be likely to see a jump on the scale. That's perfectly normal: On average, you have more food in your digestive tract than previously; that food has weight while it's in transit. (Full digestive transit can take up to two days, or even a bit more.) Further, probably some of that food is carbs or contains sodium. Either of those will increase water weight temporarily while your body is metabolizing them. That water also has weight. So the scale goes up a little . . . but none of that is fat, so there's no reason to worry about it.

Only if you exceed your actual maintenance calories do you see fat gain. In a very general sense, quick gains you see on the scale are unlikely to be fat gain, and very likely to be water retention or digestive contents. As you're moving to maintenance calories, especially if you add calories gradually, any fat gain would seem more like it was weight gradually creeping upward.

It takes roughly 3500 calories above maintenance calories to gain a pound of fat. If you've been losing 2 pounds a week, you've been eating 1000 calories under maintenance calories every day. Eating 500 calories more a day might lead to a scale jump (the water and digestive contents thing), but there's no way it's going to lead to fat gain. You'd still be losing fat (hidden behind that water/digestive-contents thing) at the rate of about a pound a week. In a week or two, that would be obvious.

Over-reacting to scale fluctuations (that can't possibly be fat) can be easy to do, but it's not very helpful or useful. It's better to try to understand what's really going on.

Best wishes!

Excellent thanks, sometimes I get concerned but then I think about exactly what you said. It takes 3,500 calories over maintenance to gain a pounds and I know I didn't even get to maintenance calories do I calm down. Most of the time I take the scale in stride but when I bounce from 202.6 up to 205.2 and everything in between for like 3 weeks I get very annoyed and pissed quite frankly. Now I don't change anything but I do get annoyed.
    2 days ago I was 202.8 and today 205.2. now I have no idea why but it's kind of annoying. I'm looking for 199 on the scale. I want to see 1 in front of my scale number soon. It's just a waiting game in the end.