gallbladder removal: when feeling well/able to work out again?

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I had a laparoscopic procedure. It took 4-6 weeks for full recovery. Follow your doctors instructions. Even if you “feel ok”, you need to protect the internal wounds and muscles for the amount of time stated by doctor. Good luck!

Thanks a lot. Phew, 4-6 weeks is long! Plus, being a consultant I can't stay home for 4-6 weeks but have to return to work at a certain time - which only is possible by bike as I don't make enough to take a taxi twice every day.

Please talk to your doctor about his instructions for your recovery and your bike riding in particular. Please note I said "full recovery" which means back to full energy and doing the same workouts I was before.

Yes, I got that. I still am worried as not only my body has to kind of work, but also my brains. We'll see. I looked into whether there's help available to get to work if you're too sick to get there but would still be able to work: unfortunately not. As all my colleagues go by bike I cannot ask anyone to take me along either. Oh well.. lets see how this goes.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Give your body time to heal, the main thing is to watch what you eat as it will take a while till you are on your feet again (ask your doctor for guidance on this) and diet makes the biggest difference to your health and you might not be able to tolerate fats well for a while.

I had keyhole surgery 20 years ago, and I remember being surprised by how much it hurt and how bedridden I was considering they made it sound like a really small procedure and sent me home pretty quickly after surgery. Your insides feel like they are sloshing around untethered and it hurts trying to move, like to roll over or sit up or get out of bed. I don't remember how long it took to get better now (it was 20 years ago), but you do need someone to be helping you at home while you recover, and have pain killers in arms reach. In hindsight, I don't think my dr did a good enough job of communicating to me or my mother what it really involved, I should have had more (or stronger) pain killers, and had a handbell or some way of signalling to my mother that I needed her help from my bedroom. Not fun to be in huge pain and immobilised but have no way of getting anyone's attention to help you.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I had mine out on a Friday after work, rested over the weekend; and went to work without restrictions on Monday. I don't know what my doctor would have advised, but that's what I did. I signed a contract saying I would work the entire summer program without taking any days off--so that's what I did. I have a very active job. The worst was getting into and out of a van and driving over rail road tracks. I admit to holding a pillow against my belly while driving the first day back.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I should add, I had a laparoscopic procedure without any complications. It was Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and I avoided doing much through Sunday. I didn't know how I'd handle work on Monday, but it turned out I was ready to go, 100%. I don't recall any restrictions but that is meaningless--I can't recall what I had for lunch today, either :). Good luck!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    I should add, I had a laparoscopic procedure without any complications. It was Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and I avoided doing much through Sunday. I didn't know how I'd handle work on Monday, but it turned out I was ready to go, 100%. I don't recall any restrictions but that is meaningless--I can't recall what I had for lunch today, either :). Good luck!

Hahaha! Well played :) But thanks a lot for your answer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One of the main things is to listen to your body. If you hurt or feel tired, take a step back for a day or two and try again. I'm sure walking will be at the top of the list of recommendations but it will be up to you how long and how vigorous. Same thing with any other activity. After my surgery, I was able to start swimming again in 4 weeks, but I couldn't do flip turns for another couple of weeks. The sudden contraction, then stretching action made me feel something pull a little inside (probably related to the hiatal hernia more than the gallbladder but the principle is the same).

Good luck.