Very slow metabolism (clinically tested)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I am female, 41, 5’10 weigh 286.
    I have gained 60# in 2 years, while doing these various plans, efforts.
    I’ve had bloodwork done every 6 months, specifically thyroid at my urgency to the doctor. My numbers come back in the “normal” range but I insisted on a referral to an endocrinologist and am waiting on that. The physiologist who did the rmr testing said that the maintenance zone was 1468-1713 calories- so to achieve the 2#per week loss that was optimal would be under that 1224, either by calorie restriction and/or exercise.

That is low for your stats. If you set your calories at 1200, you should lose 1/2 lb to a pound per week, depending on where in that range your maintenance is. That should be more sustainable, and safer, than trying to lose 2 lbs a week.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    @PAV8888
    I forget I am talking to folks who have not been studying this *kitten* stuff for close to 3 years now! LOL While deficit matters in lean mass loss, which will account for a raised RMR due to increased lean mass, I think the amount of overall rmr change d/t overall deficit, when weight is accounted for is questionable. To the best of my knowledge there are two theory's of AT. ! The static model. Metabolism or really RMR drops by a certain amount at new weight that it looks like people are just on the low side of the RMR bell curve. 2. The spring model. Where RMR decreases d/t the amount of perceived energy deficit. Libel's work shows a static model, while the only Spring model research is shown in the Biggest Loser Data Set. I have some questions about the data set that Might bring some of the findings of the study into doubt.

The problem with many acronyms is a study researcher will use their own that is even outside normally used ones, for whatever reason.

Another study to consider:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

Interesting study. Actually read it a couple of years ago. My thing is, we know weight lifting/ RT helps preserve Lean mass. Does this study take into account the differences in LM preservation? Dr. Eric Ravussin is also a hero of mine btw! LOL
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    I'm coming in late here, but who told you that losing 2 pounds a week is optimal? Whoever is telling you this, you should drop them immediately and find someone that knows what they're talking about to help you! And I didn't read every reply, but I DO hope you're weighing everything you eat? Because if not, therein lies your problem.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I haven’t heard anything about weight watchers lately, but are they still doing points and free foods? Were you eating a lot of those free foods? Cause they ain’t free.

Yes they're still on that. I count here cuz zero is not free. Part of the rationale is that setting the healthy stuff at zero points will encourage members to pick those foods first.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    And I genuinely appreciate advice! I’m still waiting on the nutritionist to give me a plan and to see an endocrinologist for specifics.
    But yes, my understanding was to eat under the 1,000 to get the best result. But if that’s not correct, then great.
    I average about 6,000 steps/ day and am planning to get back to cross fit after a knee injury. It’s just hard to keep motivation going when I journal and work out and don’t get results.

Are you working with a nutritionalist or a Registered Dietitian? In the US there are no standards/training required to call oneself a nutritionalalist My dog could be one.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    And I genuinely appreciate advice! I’m still waiting on the nutritionist to give me a plan and to see an endocrinologist for specifics.
    But yes, my understanding was to eat under the 1,000 to get the best result. But if that’s not correct, then great.
    I average about 6,000 steps/ day and am planning to get back to cross fit after a knee injury. It’s just hard to keep motivation going when I journal and work out and don’t get results.

Are you working with a nutritionalist or a Registered Dietitian? In the US there are no standards/training required to call oneself a nutritionalalist My dog could be one.

Your dog could also give as much solid advice as some nutritionists out there, or at least nothing harmful. The things some say is just plain scary. There are some that know their stuff but it is very hit and miss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    @PAV8888
    I forget I am talking to folks who have not been studying this *kitten* stuff for close to 3 years now! LOL While deficit matters in lean mass loss, which will account for a raised RMR due to increased lean mass, I think the amount of overall rmr change d/t overall deficit, when weight is accounted for is questionable. To the best of my knowledge there are two theory's of AT. ! The static model. Metabolism or really RMR drops by a certain amount at new weight that it looks like people are just on the low side of the RMR bell curve. 2. The spring model. Where RMR decreases d/t the amount of perceived energy deficit. Libel's work shows a static model, while the only Spring model research is shown in the Biggest Loser Data Set. I have some questions about the data set that Might bring some of the findings of the study into doubt.

The problem with many acronyms is a study researcher will use their own that is even outside normally used ones, for whatever reason.

Another study to consider:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

Interesting study. Actually read it a couple of years ago. My thing is, we know weight lifting/ RT helps preserve Lean mass. Does this study take into account the differences in LM preservation? Dr. Eric Ravussin is also a hero of mine btw! LOL

They did measure for BF%.
    That's how they came up with the overall TDEE lowering an expected amount purely due to the weight and LM loss, and what appeared to be extra lowering not accounted for by that.
    The quick figures I gave there were the extra beyond expected.

Which also has been asked of OP - if she had already been dieting hard for a chunk of time. Didn't take more than 3 months in study to suppress RMR a decent amount.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    bosque1234 wrote: »
    Run, don't walk to an endocrinologist and get a COMPLETE blood work up on your thyroid and pituitary gland's functions. Start with this as a medical condition, not a weight loss issue. Don't even focus on calories to solve this, you need to see a good endo and after that, and possible medication to regulate your thyroid, then consider MFP again. Well wishes on this journey!

Careful there. Being hypothyroid reduced energy needs by a max of 4-5%, once. There's also some research that suggests that various health conditions, and extreme dieting might result in a lowering of energy needs of a similar amount if we don't take reduction of energy needs due to less body mass into account. I've not found any data on whether reduction can be reversed, or stacks up at subsequent events. But to me it doesn't seem logical as our bodies need a certain amount of energy for survival. Once you got this reduction there might not be more as the body. Actually, I saw some study on energy expenditure of just running all organs including chemical reactions, etc.. and it was very close to 1200kcal/day. Ask yourself why the human body would endanger it's survival by reducing energy expenditure.

With regards to thyroid: lots of the weightgain is actually due to feeling miserable and moving less, fidgetting less, being more tired. This all results in a reduction of energy needs, but not from BMR, but from TDEE. Also, increase in water weight gain, and more hunger.

Read the study I referenced above - you can recover - and it can lower more than merely the loss of body mass.
    Body has many functions as part of the BMR (replacing proteins - so growing of hair, nails, skin, rebuilding of muscle, ect) that can be done less frequently if less food available.
    The organ usage is mainly true - though some of the biggest calorie burners can slow down in their activities - liver.

But ditto's to the potential 4-5% reduction in RMR not being a given.