Very slow metabolism (clinically tested)

Hello, I had my metabolism checked after meeting with a nutritionist suggested it. History is that I have been steadily gaining weight after weight watchers, cross fit, Keto, etc.
I have been so frustrated that I am trying and failing at all of these methods of weight loss. The metabolism test came back at my resting metabolic rate is 1224. So, if I eat more than that I will gain. So to lose, I’m looking at under 1000 calories per day. This just doesn’t seem feasible. I’m waiting on the nutritionist to get back with me, but realistically any advice here? I’ve gained weight steadily the last 5 years, regardless of what diet, eating plan or exercise I do.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    As others have said, you are misunderstanding your RMR. Even if you are sedentary all day and do not exercise, you would multiply your RMR by 1.25. That would make your TDEE 1530. It depends on your stats, but that is really not an abnormal maintenance calorie amount for a lot of women here.

If you exercise, or are more active in your day, you burn more calories. If you even walk around a little bit in your day (usually more than around 3000-4000 steps), you are lightly active, which would be a multiplier of 1.4. So then your maintenance is 1713. Plus any exercise you do is additional to that.

Let's say you are sedentary except for exercise. You could eat 1200 calories a day, plus any additional calories your burn from exercise. That would give you a deficit of 330 calories a day, or enough for about 0.75 pounds of loss per week. That may not be as rapid as you hope, but that can be a lot of weight over time. If you are lightly active, then it is a pound per week.

Where are you getting those multipliers? They are slightly high compared to the ones I use. I have sedentary as 1.2 and light active as 1.375.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Well, that sucks. It is kinda low for your stats. Doesn't mean you can't lose weight, you just don't lose it as fast. You would have to set your calories to 1/2-1 pound a week. How did they test your RMR?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    As others have said, you are misunderstanding your RMR. Even if you are sedentary all day and do not exercise, you would multiply your RMR by 1.25. That would make your TDEE 1530. It depends on your stats, but that is really not an abnormal maintenance calorie amount for a lot of women here.

If you exercise, or are more active in your day, you burn more calories. If you even walk around a little bit in your day (usually more than around 3000-4000 steps), you are lightly active, which would be a multiplier of 1.4. So then your maintenance is 1713. Plus any exercise you do is additional to that.

Let's say you are sedentary except for exercise. You could eat 1200 calories a day, plus any additional calories your burn from exercise. That would give you a deficit of 330 calories a day, or enough for about 0.75 pounds of loss per week. That may not be as rapid as you hope, but that can be a lot of weight over time. If you are lightly active, then it is a pound per week.

Where are you getting those multipliers? They are slightly high compared to the ones I use. I have sedentary as 1.2 and light active as 1.375.

They are the ones MFP uses.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    How do they test for your RMR? What does the test involve?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

They are the ones MFP uses.

I see. I go by TDEE at the moment.