Very slow metabolism (clinically tested)

Options

Replies

• joeymattluke
    joeymattluke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    RMR tested by EKG/ CO2 output at dietary clinic. These in depth numbers are obviously new to me as I’ve been really tracking / journaling since I’m having such trouble with weight gain.
    Trying to increase my steps - my daily job is sedentary but evenings are spent rarely sitting down (kids, pets, house, etc.).
    Was truthfully tracking on weight watchers app for 8 weeks and lost 6# initially and then it came back while still following WW guidelines.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Aside from a good reason for your low BMR which you should keep looking for, it means that plans that reduce deficit without strict tracking are likely not to work for you, which you have found to be true. You will need to track accurately which will involve a food scale. The trick on this low of a calorie is to find food that maximize nutrition and are satisfying. Lower fat and high protein worked for me. 40% protein, 30% carb and 30% fat is a good place to start to tweak things.

Also the more you increase you activity the more calories you will have to eat, which can be more sustainable if it is an option for you.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I haven’t heard anything about weight watchers lately, but are they still doing points and free foods? Were you eating a lot of those free foods? Cause they ain’t free.
  • joeymattluke
    joeymattluke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also adding, the testing was at a hospital occupational health department.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yep, the zero foods... I was monitoring those more the last couple weeks ... I figured that must be part of it, but I still tracked those ...
    Is a lower carb approach the best in a general
    Opinion? Not keto or anything that drastic, but generally speaking? So choose hard boiled egg over granola bar? My mind is cluttered with what is right / wrong these days!
    😐

No right or wrong, it's personalized. What fills you up more? What do you like? As long as you're getting enough protein, carbs don't really matter for weight loss. I'm more full and happy eating a higher carb diet, some people are more full and happy eating a lower carb diet.