Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cancer Research UK Controversial Ads - Thoughts?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    nooboots wrote: »
    I suppose that statistics in the UK (where the ads are) are that it is the lower socio economic groups who are the most obese. I assume its the same in america but I dont know if thats true.

There are always exceptions to the rule, I dont fit into that group but I am certainly obese, at the moment.

I'm not certain stats are really relevant to the OP though? The impression I took away from that article is that there's enough of an issue for the gov't to post warnings regarding a possible consequence of obesity, and there are enough vocal people claiming those warnings are impacting their dignity, as opposed to simply being a source of info regarding an aspect of health.

I personally see nothing in those ads to warrant that response and I'm fairly certain I still wouldn't see shaming even if I were obese.

Stats are certainly important, but this seems more a case of relatively few very vocal people making a social media strawman, trying to make people perceive the ads as saying something that they just aren't.

I dunno, just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

@Phirrgus just to clarify it's not the government who made the ads it's a cancer research charity.

Thanks for the correction @tinkerbellang. This is what I get for skimming articles lol.
  • cheekytacolady
    cheekytacolady Posts: 1 Member
    If it's the truth, then it's the truth. It'll hurt for some people to hear, but we can't pretend it doesn't exist because of that. I don't find the ad to be shaming anyone, just pointing out that something we don't normally associate with cancer can factor into causing it. I don't think I'd feel differently about this ad if I heard it when I was nearly obese.

I think along with telling people the truth, we also need to give them the tools to change their outcome. If they're told how dire their situation is without telling them how to fix it, they'll feel like they're doomed and have no way to stop it. That can hinder progress.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    NowyTends wrote: »
    ...Those of you who have seen the minerals and precious metals ad "unwatchable" which i will not link here as it is NSFL (DO NOT go looking for it) know exactly what a controversial ad is.

This is practically a double-dare. I'm pretty much going to have to search for it now. Hope I'm not traumatized... :/
  • NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    NowyTends wrote: »
    ...Those of you who have seen the minerals and precious metals ad "unwatchable" which i will not link here as it is NSFL (DO NOT go looking for it) know exactly what a controversial ad is.

This is practically a double-dare. I'm pretty much going to have to search for it now. Hope I'm not traumatized... :/

You'll regret it. Don't say i didn't warn you. :(
  • Phirrgus
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I wonder if one's reaction to fat shaming is somewhat gender biased?

(relax, I'm just wondering out loud.....)

Are women more prone to reacting to fat shaming with a negative (maybe even self-harming) response more than men?

Dunno..... thoughts ??

When I was in college, I had a housemate call me 'FatA##' every time he saw me for an entire week.
    and yeah, too much late night, beer & pizza had added a few extra pounds.

This guy was a friend of mine ( he still is ) and in my opinion, was actually doing me a favor by calling me out about it. The result, I cleaned up my diet, hit the gym and dropped the weight.

Would your response have been the same if he were not a friend? Or even someone you knew? Or a woman?

Not arguing, just curious is all.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    The ads are not fat shaming at all.

But fat shaming is destructive and harmful.

Others in this thread have made comments about it not being ok to see someone who is obese eating a burger and chips or equivalent. But you might see me, obese, eating a burger and chips, but its within my calorie allowance and Im losing weight. So what are you actually seeing?

This very much so - Unless we know the person, we really have no idea where they are in their efforts to get healthy. I know that when I was losing weight and would be out and get that "look", I just wanted to scream out "I'm working on it! I didn't get this fat over night and I'm not going to lose it all overnight! It's not an instant fix, but give me some credit in that I am trying!"

I don't think the ads were fat shaming, but I also know that people react differently to things. Some people react well to having blunt, unadulterated truth presented to them in an almost brutal manner; its a wake up call to them. But there are others of us who are just built to have our emotions on our sleeves and the fact that we know that we need to have "thicker skin" doesn't usually have much impact on the emotional side of ourselves, and these types of folks need encouragement and don't react well at all to blunt facts.

And then you've got the ones like my sister and father who both resent having their weight brought up, and in fact, bringing it up to them tends to push them in the complete opposite direction and cause them to dig in even deeper and refuse to change. Neither will budge in their diet or opinion of their own weight, even in the face of mounting health difficulties. So while the information in those ads could inspire some people to change their lifestyle, I think for the majority of folks, it will be forgotten in seconds. After all - how many folks live thinking "it won't happen to me" even when presented with the odds?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

Are women more prone to reacting to fat shaming with a negative (maybe even self-harming) response more than men?

Dunno..... thoughts ??

When I was in college, I had a housemate call me 'FatA##' every time he saw me for an entire week.

This guy was a friend of mine ( he still is ) and in my opinion, was actually doing me a favor by calling me out about it. The result, I cleaned up my diet, hit the gym and dropped the weight.

Would your response have been the same if he were not a friend? Or even someone you knew? Or a woman?

@Phirrgus

Good Question.

Let's see...

If it were a stranger, honestly, it would have bothered me even more because it probably would have been mean-spirited (why would a stranger be concerned about my fitness?) however the message would have still hit home.

Had the message come from a woman, I probably would have gotten back into shape even quicker than what I did. If she's saying it, then others are probably thinking the same thing.

also... I've heard guys talk to other guys the same way (they were always friends talking between one another).

I'm thinking bullies fat-shame & I hate bullies however they present themselves.
    Everybody has their demons, some are just more visible than others.

• Phirrgus

Dunno..... thoughts ??

@Phirrgus

Good Question.

Let's see...

If it were a stranger, honestly, it would have bothered me even more because it probably would have been mean-spirited (why would a stranger be concerned about my fitness?) however the message would have still hit home.

Had the message come from a woman, I probably would have gotten back into shape even quicker than what I did. If she's saying it, then others are probably thinking the same thing.

also... I've heard guys talk to other guys the same way (they were always friends talking between one another).

I'm thinking bullies fat-shame & I hate bullies however they present themselves.

@Motorsheen I think we're pretty close in what the reactions may have been. Bullies are one of my ...maybe first on the list of pet peeves. Yeah not much to say really - we're coming from the same place.

Thanks man
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

Dunno..... thoughts ??

@Phirrgus

Good Question.

Let's see...

@Motorsheen I think we're pretty close in what the reactions may have been. Bullies are one of my ...maybe first on the list of pet peeves. Yeah not much to say really - we're coming from the same place.

Thanks man

tenor.gif?itemid=3463201

• Phirrgus

Dunno..... thoughts ??

@Phirrgus

Good Question.

Let's see...

Thanks man

tenor.gif?itemid=3463201

*fistbump*