Want your honest opinions, please

Options
Theycallithogging
Theycallithogging Posts: 29
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello

I'm a 5'9" female, 133lbs.

I'd like to be about 120lbs. I've been around 126 in the past, but with a lot of effort. 130-135 seems to be my natural default.

Question: would you consider me big at this easily achievable weight or is it worth the effort to go lower, dormouse think? For my part, I feel fat at over 130lb

Thanks for any input/ advice

Replies

• Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    For your height the lowest you can possibly go and not a single pound under is 125... going under that your bmi drops below 18.5 and then you are considered underweight. Because of your height you should be between 130ish lbs and 150ish lbs to be in a nice healthy BMI range

so personally i think you are a lovely weight, try weight lifting if you want to reduce that 'fat' look that you feel.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    That sounds really thin to me...perhaps add some strength training to look more lean?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and 135. Would you call me fat? Why do you wanna go so low?
  • haleycreations
    haleycreations Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry so much about a number that the scale tells you. It is all about being the best you can be and if you feel to big in your skin, then do things to feel healthy by doing things that make you feel good. I myself have lost 60 lbs and 9 1/2" on my waist, and had to make sure that I did what mad2 me feel better. Sometimes the scale will say one thing depending on what program you aee doing. I am doing a program that is building muscle right now so the scale will not reflect me losing weight but instead gaining muscle.
  • Theycallithogging
    Options
    Yeah... I exercise kind of a lot I guess... Couple of strength session per week plus minimum 35kms running ( broken up over 3 sessions)
    I just think I look better skiinny. Annoyingly, I look better a few pounds heavier in a bathing suit. But dressed I look better skinny. And you spend most of your time dressed... So.....
    But it's hard work to get the numbers low. Not much food. I wonder if life's too short to be hungry, or if life's too short to feel heavy..
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Could always diet to the weight you feel most comfortable/confident and then just maintain that specific body weight by eating around maintenance calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sounds like body dysmorphia. have you had counseling?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    QFT
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    perhaps add some strength training to look more lean?
    bam
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I personally think you are fine, I am 5'10, and my "ideal" weight is 150lbs, even when I was at 170lbs for the longest time I was happy and healthy still. I have never had a flat stomach but i've always had a little "pooch" i didn't mind it because to me i thought i still looked ok, now I am in the 180s (keeps fluctuating) and i hate it!!! So me personally i think your fine...it would help too if you had a picture...

Bottom line though- do what makes you happy, if you feel the need to change your body then do it, i would suggest weights, but don't over do it and like the first response said don't go under your BMI it is just as bad as being overweight.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", and when I was at 130lbs I was really too thin. Have you had your body fat measured? You can have a range of bodyfat and still be healthy. I prefer lean, but not the leanest in my range. I like a little padding. How about you?
  • GrandmaDoris
    GrandmaDoris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think your weight is fine at 135. I agree with the ones who suggest working out to tone up your body. I think it'll make you feel better about the way that you look.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How would w know if we cant see you> Every BODY is different 133 for somone 5'9 is quite thin. Are you looking for someone to encourage an ED or distorted thinking?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    How would w know if we cant see you> Every BODY is different 133 for somone 5'9 is quite thin. Are you looking for someone to encourage an ED or distorted thinking?

This. It sounds as if you should be seeking the help of a psychologist rather than advice on your weight.
    I am 5'10 and was only 123-125Ibs this time last year. People at my gym were commenting to the staff about how bad I looked.
    I had no muscle in my upper body. I was all bones. Now I am 140 and have lower bodyfat than I had when I was 125 because I focussed on a lean and muscled look rather than being skinny. And it is much more of an achievement, imo, to aim for that, than to aim for skinny.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Sounds kinda boney to me. I graduated high school at 126lbs at 5'7''.............................and was always told I had a great girls body.:laugh:
    And I was boney.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

For many of us women, we want to be as thin as we were when we were 16, and it's really not possible once we're in our 20's. Or bodies change between like 18-23 and we get hips and thighs and boobs that we don't necessarily appreciate, but there's a reason there's juniors clothing sizes cut with smaller hips and thighs and chests- they're for teenagers. As adults, we have to get to a really low BF% to get that body back. It's sort of strange that none of us seem to accept it- it's actually similar to a teenager wanting to diet to the same body they had before puberty...you just can't, and we all accept that, but not the later changes.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hello

I'm a 5'9" female, 133lbs.

I'd like to be about 120lbs. I've been around 126 in the past, but with a lot of effort. 130-135 seems to be my natural default.

Question: would you consider me big at this easily achievable weight or is it worth the effort to go lower, dormouse think? For my part, I feel fat at over 130lb

Thanks for any input/ advice
    with every attempt possible to not sound creepy... post a pic of yourself. it's ridiculous to try to diagnose something like body dysmorphic disorder over the internet, but it does certainly sound like you have a lower opinion of your body than what you should.

5'9" and 135 is just about perfect in my book. Of course muscle versus fat is a major factor in what that 135 actually looks like, but I can't imagine you have much fat on you, at least not to excess. stop worrying about the scale, and take BMI with a grain of salt. Many bodybuilders are "obese" by that measurement, even when they have 4% body fat (which is ridiculously low to the point of being unhealthy and not sustainable for long periods).

This might sound backwards, but if you really do feel fat at your height/weight, which by all accounts should be well within the normal range, even on the thin side... then maybe find out what other people think and use that to help adjust your self image. just numbers doesn't let anyone give a real opinion, though. Again, I know it sounds creepy... but pics are necessary if you really want to know how people here think you look.
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Honest opinion? For your height that sounds like way too low of a goal. It sounds like your body doesnt want to go that low either. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't focus on the scale so much as how you feel about your health and how your body looks. Definitely give strength and resistance training a try! And if you can't stop focusing on the scale, you should talk to someone. Also, life is too short to be hungry to answer your question.
This discussion has been closed.