Creepy guy at the Gym

Options

Replies

• Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience in a gym setting once and it's a terrible feeling. I was on the bench, had just unracked when all of the sudden a guy stepped right up on me, like his dangly bits directly over my face, practically straddling my head. I'm in a co-ed college weight room, not a soul around. I'm holding about 140 pounds in a reverse grip & I couldn't even lift to rerack because he wouldn't move. My buddy showed up (late!) after a few tense minutes & the guy left but it was a helpless feeling. I've never been back to a gym of any kind and that was over 20 years ago.

If you feel uncomfortable, tell someone and listen to your instincts. Have someone walk you to your car too. If you can, go at a different time so maybe he won't be there.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Honestly doesn't sound like he's crossed the "creepy" threshold just yet. Next time he takes the treadmill next to you move. He might get the hint just from that.

Yeah, this.

You may want to consider that in fact he is just being friendly.

Not every man expects he will have sex with every single woman he talks to during his day. I know, its hard to believe but true.

Telling management would be a spineless, douche-bag move.

Part of me sympathizes with you, and the male part of me is slightly annoyed that members of the opposite sex paying attention to you is a "problem" at the gym. Must be nice....

"You know this one time this woman at the gym kept looking at me and tried talking to me. What a creeper." It sounds just weird. Double standards man. Double standards.

This.

I see these type threads more and more.

What the hell is wrong with a guy trying to get to know a girl at the gym? Is this now off-limits?? Proximity is one of the basic Laws of Attraction.

If you haven't told him you aren't seeing someone or aren't interested then what's the issue. Has he been inappropriate towards you? if not, why label him a creep? Just because he's trying to find a way to become familiar with you and thereby get to know you? And maybe even, god forbid, work up the courage to ask you out or something?

If I am missing something please enlighten me. Of course if there is more to the story and my comments are off the mark then I will apologize to the OP.

But for now, what gives?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience in a gym setting once and it's a terrible feeling. I was on the bench, had just unracked when all of the sudden a guy stepped right up on me, like his dangly bits directly over my face, practically straddling my head.

Crazy spotters are everywhere. Avoid the gym for 20 years was a good call after this experience.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience in a gym setting once and it's a terrible feeling. I was on the bench, had just unracked when all of the sudden a guy stepped right up on me, like his dangly bits directly over my face, practically straddling my head. I'm in a co-ed college weight room, not a soul around. I'm holding about 140 pounds in a reverse grip & I couldn't even lift to rerack because he wouldn't move. My buddy showed up (late!) after a few tense minutes & the guy left but it was a helpless feeling. I've never been back to a gym of any kind and that was over 20 years ago.

If you feel uncomfortable, tell someone and listen to your instincts. Have someone walk you to your car too. If you can, go at a different time so maybe he won't be there.

You let a guy standing over you stop you from going to a gym for 20 years? Also 140 lb. bench with a reverse grip? Wut?
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    Honestly doesn't sound like he's crossed the "creepy" threshold just yet. Next time he takes the treadmill next to you move. He might get the hint just from that.

Yeah, this.

Not every man expects he will have sex with every single woman he talks to during his day. I know, its hard to believe but true.

Part of me sympathizes with you, and the male part of me is slightly annoyed that members of the opposite sex paying attention to you is a "problem" at the gym. Must be nice....

"You know this one time this woman at the gym kept looking at me and tried talking to me. What a creeper." It sounds just weird. Double standards man. Double standards.

This.

What the hell is wrong with a guy trying to get to know a girl at the gym? Is this now off-limits?? Proximity is one of the basic Laws of Attraction.

If you haven't told him you aren't seeing someone or aren't interested then what's the issue. Has he been inappropriate towards you? if not, why label him a creep? Just because he's trying to find a way to become familiar with you and thereby get to know you? And maybe even, god forbid, work up the courage to ask you out or something?

If I am missing something please enlighten me. Of course if there is more to the story and my comments are off the mark then I will apologize to the OP.

But for now, what gives?

Apparently "stranger danger" has stayed with some people for way too long.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    He does sound kind of creepy to me. I wouldn't tell the management yet. Keep your distance. Like someone suggested if he takes the machine next to you move to a different one. If he really starts to get weird then it is time to talk to the gym staff about it.

I might even try going at a different time if you can. Just be careful and if it really starts to bother you do not hesitat to tell the staff.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I am a long distance runner and normally run on the roads..but because its raining and it can get hot at times I been running in treadmill at the gym. The Gym is small and I am always conscious about myself as everyone is watching everyone else .So I am a on with my earphone listening to music ..After my one hour run I was stretching ..this random dude walks to me and tries to talk to me..everyone at the gym turns there head. He ask some question about running basically he was trying to introduce himself
    I was answering without being friendly nor being rude. After that I was trying to avoid any kind of eye contact with him and stay away from him. After that day he has been checking me out and staring all the time when I stretch and always taking the treadmill me next to me even if the rest of the treadmills are empty . This is really disappointing me and I cant concentrate on my run
    Did anyone has same experience ??

Probably not.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.

This.

But for now, what gives?

Apparently "stranger danger" has stayed with some people for way too long.

All of this. Not every guy is a creeper.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It honestly doesn't sound like this guy was creepy at all. To me, it sounds like you are extremely self conscious and can't handle someone bothering to look in your direction. In that case, run outside in the rain.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Go with your gut. If you feel this particular guy is paying attention in an inappropriate manner, then keep your distance. If it continues, and you can't change your schedule our routine enough to keep a little distance, it wouldn't hurt to find out more about him. Ask someone who works there if they know him and if he's an up standing guy. It may be that he's just socially awkward, or maybe they'll confirm your concerns. I wouldn't report him, but it's worth being a little cautious.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

You let a guy standing over you stop you from going to a gym for 20 years? Also 140 lb. bench with a reverse grip? Wut?

Yup....the very short nasty conversation and things he did to me in those few minutes made me understand exactly how helpless a person can be, male or female. I was strong, very strong for a girl because I was competitive weight training at the time & I probably could have stomped a mudhole in his a** if I wasn't trapped under the bar, but I was. Doesn't matter, my daddy built me my own gym. Women were not welcome in the heavy areas back then so I was used to alot of crap anyways, but that fellow pushed the limit right into jail.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    OP - somewhere on some other forum, that guy is probably posting something like this:

"I met this really cute girl at the gym. I got up the nerve to go up and talk to her, introduce myself casually, and I try to work out near her hoping we can have a real conversation while we work out. I really like her but I'm shy and self-conscious and she won't even look me in the eye, like I'm some sort of pariah. How do I let her know I'm interested without setting myself up for yet another rejection?"

Calling a guy creepy for looking at you and talking to you is straight-up conceited. If you're so attractive and irresistible that you have your pick of all men, try being a nice person at the same time. From what you described, he did absolutely nothing wrong. If you don't like it, then entertain his conversation and let him know you're not interested. On the off chance he really does become creepy, then you are justified in taking it to the next level.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like the attention, sometimes I don't.
    Why did you think he is creepy?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I follow my gut. If my gut screams creep, he's a creep. I would be myself (biotch) and make it a point to move to a different machine. Especially if the creepiness is messing with my workout. He can't follow you to every machine.

I agree. I don't like it when people say 'oh he's just trying to be friendly'. maybe he us, maybe not, but if your creep-o-meter is beeping, then listen to it. move to a different machine. if he keeps following you then report him.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    call the police!

Call the police and say what? Some guy was making small talk and he was caught checking her out while stretching?
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    Apparently every conversation with a stranger of the opposite sex is a precursor to sexual assault.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe he is trying to learn from you about running, if that isn't the case, I would bring a male friend or boyfriend, or before I was married I would put a ring on finger and make sure they saw it!!! lol
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OP - somewhere on some other forum, that guy is probably posting something like this:

"I met this really cute girl at the gym. I got up the nerve to go up and talk to her, introduce myself casually, and I try to work out near her hoping we can have a real conversation while we work out. I really like her but I'm shy and self-conscious and she won't even look me in the eye, like I'm some sort of pariah. How do I let her know I'm interested without setting myself up for yet another rejection?"

Calling a guy creepy for looking at you and talking to you is straight-up conceited. If you're so attractive and irresistible that you have your pick of all men, try being a nice person at the same time. From what you described, he did absolutely nothing wrong. If you don't like it, then entertain his conversation and let him know you're not interested. On the off chance he really does become creepy, then you are justified in taking it to the next level.

This. I missed reading this comment the first time through. Good point.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Ill never understand what is so wrong with being friendly and trying to make a friend along the way who shares a common interest...

poor guy.