Creepy guy at the Gym

Options

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    move, he isnt dangling his man vegetables in your face.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am trying to understand where he is being creepy ..if all the other machines were empty why would he be rude and go on one way across the way when he was cordial and said hi to you previously..seems your the rude one...if you want a machine to yourself in a corner workout at home....now on the other hand if u change machines and he follows you yeah then maybe he is a creep..but I really think your just thinking way too much..hes probably just attracted to you..its life...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Th only thing that makes me uncomfortable is when people stand outside if the group ex room duri g most of class and stare in without coming in. I'm a group ex instructor Nd our room is down a secluded hallway. Had a guy a year or two ago that would act like he was upstairs looking in the raquet ball court until class started. Spend 40-45 minutes watching us, then leave before the next class showed up. Management kept and eye out, but it only lasted about 5 weeks.

Other then that I have guys ask me about my workouts all the time, I find its a great way to open dialogue in the weight or cardio room and find out more about them . . . and let them find out more about me (eg, married, child, dogs, a little private). Never shy away from that conversation because its always either 1) a way to share information with a like minded resource or 2) way to share enough about you to let them know you are t interested while being polite.

Gym people are great resources for information and program sharing no matter your results. If you're rude to one regular they all find out and limit your access to that great resource through alienation.
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Creepy was the day that I found a handwritten note on my car at the gym that read "I have been watching you..." At least you know who is watching and you have the opportunity to advise him that you are not interested! I would try subtle hints as others advised such as moving to another machine or mentioning that you don't prefer to converse when working out. If he persists then be direct and say thanks but that you are simply not interested. If he still continues to pursue you it is harassment and management should get involved.
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am a long distance runner and normally run on the roads..but because its raining and it can get hot at times I been running in treadmill at the gym. The Gym is small and I am always conscious about myself as everyone is watching everyone else .So I am a on with my earphone listening to music ..After my one hour run I was stretching ..this random dude walks to me and tries to talk to me..everyone at the gym turns there head. He ask some question about running basically he was trying to introduce himself
    I was answering without being friendly nor being rude. After that I was trying to avoid any kind of eye contact with him and stay away from him. After that day he has been checking me out and staring all the time when I stretch and always taking the treadmill me next to me even if the rest of the treadmills are empty . This is really disappointing me and I cant concentrate on my run
    Did anyone has same experience ??
    Sorry, can't say that I have had the same experience. But your fears are totally legit. Harassment after all is the effect, not the intent. However, I suggest you take a step back and ask yourself:

1) Is there any other person who's watching me too?
    2) Is he watching other people?
    3) Does he talk to anyone else?
    4) What do the others think of him? The gym personnel and mainstays could totally clue you in.

You look like the approachable type, and maybe that's why he talked to you. I personally talk to anyone who approaches me--except, you know, drunks and men brandishing knives. It's pretty hard to muster up the courage to talk to a stranger, so it's just good manners to reciprocate by being gracious.

Communication helps. If he totally creeps you out with sleazy/douchey words and actions, you could always tell him that he's making you uncomfortable. Bring a friend next time and see if he/she gets the same creepy vibes. If he's totally earnest in making friends, he'll back off and tone it down.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am a long distance runner and normally run on the roads..but because its raining and it can get hot at times I been running in treadmill at the gym. The Gym is small and I am always conscious about myself as everyone is watching everyone else .So I am a on with my earphone listening to music ..After my one hour run I was stretching ..this random dude walks to me and tries to talk to me..everyone at the gym turns there head. He ask some question about running basically he was trying to introduce himself
    I was answering without being friendly nor being rude. After that I was trying to avoid any kind of eye contact with him and stay away from him. After that day he has been checking me out and staring all the time when I stretch and always taking the treadmill me next to me even if the rest of the treadmills are empty . This is really disappointing me and I cant concentrate on my run
    Did anyone has same experience ??

Have you told him that while you're flattered, you aren't interested? You know, just own and control the situation?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Honestly doesn't sound like he's crossed the "creepy" threshold just yet. Next time he takes the treadmill next to you move. He might get the hint just from that.

Yeah, this.

You may want to consider that in fact he is just being friendly.

Not every man expects he will have sex with every single woman he talks to during his day. I know, its hard to believe but true.

Telling management would be a spineless, douche-bag move.

Part of me sympathizes with you, and the male part of me is slightly annoyed that members of the opposite sex paying attention to you is a "problem" at the gym. Must be nice....

"You know this one time this woman at the gym kept looking at me and tried talking to me. What a creeper." It sounds just weird. Double standards man. Double standards.

This.

I see these type threads more and more.

What the hell is wrong with a guy trying to get to know a girl at the gym? Is this now off-limits?? Proximity is one of the basic Laws of Attraction.

If you haven't told him you aren't seeing someone or aren't interested then what's the issue. Has he been inappropriate towards you? if not, why label him a creep? Just because he's trying to find a way to become familiar with you and thereby get to know you? And maybe even, god forbid, work up the courage to ask you out or something?

If I am missing something please enlighten me. Of course if there is more to the story and my comments are off the mark then I will apologize to the OP.

But for now, what gives?

Apparently "stranger danger" has stayed with some people for way too long.
    This'ing all of this.

How sheltered are you OP? None of what you described seemed over the line at all. Just seems like a shy guy who may be a little socially inept, as we all are in some way. I get a lot of unwanted attention, always have. I make it clear I'm really not interested and move on. It's not so hard.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The real creeper test is if they try to give you gifts, like personal photos or stuffed jackalopes. Did he try to do this with you?

I'd cook dinner for anyone who gave me a stuffed jackalope. Those are so awesome.

Seriously. Gourmet. Dinner.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The real creeper test is if they try to give you gifts, like personal photos or stuffed jackalopes. Did he try to do this with you?

I'd cook dinner for anyone who gave me a stuffed jackalope. Those are so awesome.

Seriously. Gourmet. Dinner.
    obvious creep! he just tried to get all of us to his house and cook for us! DANGER!!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ... Did anyone has same experience ??

Yes. I had the exact same experience. That same guy was bothering me last week. I can't stand that guy.

Awwww..... you are sexy... for BOTH sex's.... I can see that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ok so... help me out, what is a good approach?

You're hot, I'm digging it, we're at the gym. What would at least not cause you to immediately go home and blog/forum post about my creepiness.

I've always been curious at that.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, because it has happened to me... just be honest with him and tell him it is creeping you out and you don't appreciate it. I'm always upfront and honest, and when I said that, the guy left me alone. If he doesn't then report him....especially if you have talked to him about it and told him you liked your personal space. Seems kinda simple if you are the type of person that doesn't mind confronting her/his problems upfront. Personally that is the best way to be.
  • dbmata
    Options
    call the police!

Call the police and say what? Some guy was making small talk and he was caught checking her out while stretching?

Yes, that way the police can storm someone's house, shoot a dog, and we can all get on with our forgetting to rerack things. ;)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    running_troll_by_afterwars-d4b4tv1.gif
  • dbmata
    Options
    Heh, that's hilarious.

Then again, one of my favorite places in Boston did get blown up. Maybe I should laugh less.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OP, continue to follow your instincts.
    Even if they are wrong in this situation, it is better to be safe than sorry.
    I agree with moving to a different machine.
    The world is not rainbows and lollipops.
    Stranger danger lasts a lifetime.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The guy at the gym crossed a boundary for the OP. That can happen unintentionally, but some people have no boundaries. The appropriate response is to assert your boundaries. VERY clearly. Something like, "You follow me around anymore and I'll rip off your head and @#$% down your throat," might do nicely. I wouldn't go and quit the gym because I lack the courage to stand up to a stranger and set boundaries. Nor would I walk around and let resentment fester. Just hit the nail on the head. Settle it. You want space? Make it. But don't be one of those people who walks around with a huge amount of emotional baggage that winds up hardening into prejudice.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Op - so you were running and when you finished running this guy came up and asked you questions about running?

When he gets on the machine beside you is he running?

I'm not trying to say he's not a creep and i haven't experienced what you have so can't really Judge but maybe he was interested in getting to know you or just interested in learning more about running.

As others have said, try moving away if you feel uncomfortable.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    pfft trolls be trolling
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Harassment after all is the effect, not the intent.

Could you expand on this statement? Are you saying that the perception of harassment makes any social interaction harassment no matter what the intent is?