Discriminated against for tattoos, piercings hair or weight?

Options

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Tattoos and piercings are choices people make, just like clothes. It's true that tattoos can't be removed and changed as easily as clothes, but since we're not born with them, there must be a point where a choice is made.

If you accept that a job interviewer can reject you because you fail to dress appropriately for the position, then surely you can accept that he can reject you for displaying tattoos and piercings.

I respect people's freedom to have body modifications, but I also respect people's freedom to employ only others who comply with their business philosophy.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Tattoos and piercings are choices people make, just like clothes. It's true that tattoos can't be removed and changed as easily as clothes, but since we're not born with them, there must be a point where a choice is made.

If you accept that a job interviewer can reject you because you fail to dress appropriately for the position, then surely you can accept that he can reject you for displaying tattoos and piercings.

I respect people's freedom to have body modifications, but I also respect people's freedom to employ only others who comply with their business philosophy.

This ^^^^ sums it up pretty well and drives the point home. Well said, sir.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was once told that if I wanted the position I was pursuing I needed to start wearing less colorful socks. I was surprised- I mean, they were just colorful. I wasn't wearing socks with penises or anything. I liked skirts or cropped pants with bright, patterned socks.

I didn't care. I accepted that as a condition, for the job and a few months later a new position was created and I received a 25% raise.

With the exception of the obese part, if people don't want to be judged on their appearances maybe they shouldn't put so much effort into expressing themselves through them.

In reality, the employer you overheard doesn't not hire people because they have tattoos. There's a difference between having a tattoo and going to a job interview tattoos blazing.
  • SciTechJunkie
    Options
    As a writer of science and tech, I don't really bump into those types of discriminating feelings by those I work with or close to. But even in public, everyone who notices my ink doesn't have anything negative to say. They really enjoy it and ask what the molecular strand means. I enjoy explaining as well.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I lost a job for having my tongue pierced. I had it when I was hired, but the guy didn't notice. He was a Jehova's Witness, and it was a private business, so he could fire me for it if he wanted to. He only noticed it because I happened to yawn in front of him after I'd been working there for two months. He had no qualms about telling me that's why he was firing me either.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    What about someone who has been in an accident and has scars all over their face and arms? Or what about someone who has a birth defect is missing an ear? Would you not hire them because it "isn't a good impression".

Being covered in tattoos and piercings is one thing. But you shouldn't judge someone because of having some body art. Just my opinion.

Differnece between a choice and no choice.
    That is what equal opprunity was meant to enforce.

Again, piercings and tattoos are a choice. As much as you think people should have to accept you and not judge for your choice to have them, you have to accept there are those that do not like them and will not support people with them.

There's also a difference between saying, "You're a jerk for being judgmental" and saying, "There ought to be a law banning judgmental people."

True. Us jerks haven't truly found an effective way to make laws to punish opinions. We are working on it though.

We have forums in the meantime.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At my agency, we will not hire:

Anyone with tattoos (visible or not)
    Any male with piercings
    Any female with piercings other than ears (and only 2 per ear allowed)
    Males with scruffy beards (neat, short beards are ok)
    Males with hair below the collar or greater than 4 inches in length

We also require polygraph, drug test, fingerprinting, and complete background check. Are we picky? Yes we are.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I used to have a pierced nose, a chunk of peacock blue in my otherwise-raven (at the time) hair, and visible tattoos (my allergy tattoo). I had a client come in and go off about how people in this city are just all punks, etc etc etc. This is a long-term client of mine. I was like... really? You're saying this to my face? I smiled sweetly and listened until he was finished, and then asked him to pay his rather significant bill.

Also, I have been turned down from various jobs because of my weight. Apparently obese WOMEN can't sell insurance, but obese men can. Verbatim, from the interviewer. I called the Better Business Bureau on them so fast his head spun.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Also, I have been turned down from various jobs because of my weight. Apparently obese WOMEN can't sell insurance, but obese men can. Verbatim, from the interviewer. I called the Better Business Bureau on them so fast his head spun.

This is what I'm after. People relating personal experiences. Good job VictorianJade, and a few others, for staying on topic.
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i would 100% expect to be discriminated against for my hair color if looking for employment. fortunately, i work for myself and my clients love it. but i am considering picking up some part time work and know that if i do it will a) be a long journey to find someone who accepts the hair or b) have to dye it a more natural color. i think it's unfortunate. i did help out my mom and worked as a receptionist at a huge teacher conference with over 1200 attendees per day (most of whom were middle aged) and i have never received more compliments on my hair in my life. i think employers would be scared of the impression i would leave with my hair, but i know from having it for 3 years that it is very well accepted.
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    I would not hire anyone with tattoos or piercings for public facing jobs. They are a reflection of my company and having people who color on themselves and poke holes in their bodies isn't a good impression.

Sure people can express themselves anyway they like, but there are consequences.

I have a medical tattoo that is visible. It is my allergy alert, and lists the four things I am allergic to, that will kill me. I have a tattoo because I was allergic to my allergy bracelet.

Would this keep you from hiring me?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    "Conform or be cast out"
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    when i use to walk down main street back home old girl and younger ones would cross the street or they would cluch there purse real tight i would just laugh because i'm harmless as far as work i just took out the one they could see and once off work i put them in. my time. it use to bug me big time but people are weird. my ex said if i got my nose pierced like a bull she would never date me. it been 11 years so its a blessing
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I personally feel in general I was treated better by the general public when I was thin! Maybe it is just me being paranoid, but that's what I feel!

No you are not paranoid. I get treated waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better when I am not obese.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have actually been pretty shocked with the fact that I wasn't discriminated for my facial piercing as it's not as tolerable as a small nose piercing or normal as an ear piercing. I have a monroe which is very visible and sparkles, haha, and I was hired with a large oil and gas company and have been here nearly a year and the only people to have an issue were the cafeteria folks that were concerned for my teeth and professional career. All my tattoos are not very visible or not very noticable so those have never been an issue.

I still stand for the point though that more businesses should be accepting as it's becoming more and more common for persons to have a visible body modification such as tattoos or piercings, I also believe a company shows it's worth by being competitive, high quality and effective ini their work not by how a person within the company wears their hair and decide to dress or if they have visible markings on their body as that is not a representation of the work.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some of these responses are pretty interesting. Let's kick it up a notch. Were you ever fired, demoted or given a job change after you got a tattoo, piercing, men grew long hair or became obese?
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    Some of these responses are pretty interesting. Let's kick it up a notch. Were you ever fired, demoted or given a job change after you got a tattoo, piercing, men grew long hair or became obese?

I have never been. I tend to get promoted, and quickly. Mind, I tend to work hard, and am great with clients.
  • bekkahlokey
    Options
    I have been pretty lucky with finding jobs and having tattoos and piercings. I'm a pharmacy technician so that says a lot.
    I had an 87 yr old woman come up to me and ask me about my tattoos, then she showed me hers from the 50's/60's and said "you wear your tattoo's well". It was my favorite compliment.

I cannot wait for the day when the "older" generation of thinkers is gone. I love seeing people express themselves through their attire, piercings, tattoos and whatever else they want.

There is a difference between art and "prison" tattoos and piercings. You'll know 'em when you see 'em.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty lucky with finding jobs and having tattoos and piercings. I'm a pharmacy technician so that says a lot.
    I had an 87 yr old woman come up to me and ask me about my tattoos, then she showed me hers from the 50's/60's and said "you wear your tattoo's well". It was my favorite compliment.

I cannot wait for the day when the "older" generation of thinkers is gone. I love seeing people express themselves through their attire, piercings, tattoos and whatever else they want.

There is a difference between art and "prison" tattoos and piercings. You'll know 'em when you see 'em.

You will not have to wait too much longer, because we "older" generation "of thinkers" will be gone soon--BUT, you also don't have to wait for us to leave this planet, because things are going in our culture, society and America--serious changes are already in play/are radically/rapidly taking place even as I type and will effect/affect us ALL before we "older generation of thinkers" are gone. Here's the rub (though you being young, won't believe me..) when you are "the older generation of thinkers"...people will be saying what you accept and love and like will be "old fashioned" and they can't wait until your generation of thinkers is gone. I know you most likely won't believe this--but it's true none-the-less...watch:flowerforyou:

ETA: A wise person once said: "Be careful what you wish for...because you just may get it" :wink:
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have 6 tattoos. My last job was in petcare at petsmart for about 2 years. During that time I was asked to keep the butterfly on my right forearm covered as well as the small flower behind my left ear, by a bandage or otherwise.(My others aren't visible), Honestly, it was never a huge problem because I did comply. The thing that had me slowly starting to hate the bandages I would put over my tattoos is it draws MORE attention to them! And every single person, all ages, thought it was absolutely ridiculous for me to keep them covered and most would ask to see them! lol If there was ever a day I forgot bandages, not a single customer ever complained. I thought one elderly woman might at one point when I saw her eyeing them but then she just told me they were pretty. haha :drinker:

Never lost a job because of tattoos or piercings (had a face full of those at one point, too) lol.