Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Barbell "Form check"(e.g., Squats, Deadlift, Benching, Presses)

124»

Replies

• Mellouk89Mellouk89 Member Posts: 199 Member Member Posts: 199 Member
    @Chieflrg Do you do critiques on bodyweight exercises like pull ups? Gyms are closed and I can only do bodyweight exercises right now and I would like to have your feedback on the way i'm doing pull ups.
    edited May 4
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Member Posts: 8,818 Member Member Posts: 8,818 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    @Chieflrg Do you do critiques on bodyweight exercises like pull ups? Gyms are closed and I can only do bodyweight exercises right now and I would like to have your feedback on the way i'm doing pull ups.

I can. Some feedback of your training history would be helpful as well.
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Yes so I lifted weights for 10 years from 15 to 25 years old before I suffered from a chronic shoulder tendonitis, due to my job but also because I was doing risky exercises such as the behind the neck press, upright rows, bench dips (with 200lbs on my knees). I was reckless to say the least.

To tell you a bit about my injury, i'm very comfortable with pulling movements such as rows, pull ups and pulldowns. But when i'm doing presses my shoulders get really tight and I have a constant tension in my front deltoid. It seems pressing movements are the problem.

I started training again rather recently in may 2020, i'm now 31 yrs old. I've been doing bodyweight exercises mostly but during 3 months I had access to a gym. I'm not satisfied at all with my progress. as you can see here i'm not so strong with the chin ups. Right now i'm doing 4 sets for 8,8,8 and 6 reps.

I filmed my last set that I did for 6 reps :

I have to mention that I can't do full range of motion because my feet touch the gound and I don't like doing them with my knees crossed behind my back. But when i'm at the gym I do them with a neutral grip full range of mention with a lockout.

Also for my stats i'm 5'9 170lbs.

edited May 5
  • SquatcleananddeadliftSquatcleananddeadlift Member Posts: 40 Member Member Posts: 40 Member
    Help me lock this out, @chieflrg. 400 lb is my nemesis!

Son of a... I loved that.

400lb... will be amazing when you get it
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Yes so I lifted weights for 10 years from 15 to 25 years old before I suffered from a chronic shoulder tendonitis, due to my job but also because I was doing risky exercises such as the behind the neck press, upright rows, bench dips (with 200lbs on my knees). I was reckless to say the least.

To tell you a bit about my injury, i'm very comfortable with pulling movements such as rows, pull ups and pulldowns. But when i'm doing presses my shoulders get really tight and I have a constant tension in my front deltoid. It seems pressing movements are the problem.

I started training again rather recently in may 2020, i'm now 31 yrs old. I've been doing bodyweight exercises mostly but during 3 months I had access to a gym. I'm not satisfied at all with my progress. as you can see here i'm not so strong with the chin ups. Right now i'm doing 4 sets for 8,8,8 and 6 reps.

I filmed my last set that I did for 6 reps :

I have to mention that I can't do full range of motion because my feet touch the gound and I don't like doing them with my knees crossed behind my back. But when i'm at the gym I do them with a neutral grip full range of mention with a lockout.

Also for my stats i'm 5'9 170lbs.

Ty for your training history and video.

Nothing looks concerning with your performance or technique.

I will say your thoughts of certain movements being "risky" is something I want to bring up.

A movement is not inherently dangerous by itself. Unfortunately many sources in the fitness community will state or post things that are absolutely poison to people who haven't done the research.

I'm not saying you should do dips or behind the neck presses, but I am saying they are not risky movements at a appropriate dosage while monitoring your load management over time.

As far as your "tight" front deltoid, again I would use a grip, exercise variation, rep range, intensity, etc...that allows you to do full ROM or at least progress towards it.

Something along the lines...
    Instead of close grip BP we might do wide grip incline or a neutral bar instead of a standard barbell.

If you are not increasing the intensity on your body weight pull ups, we might take a rep off and add a set or even change the exercise selection for a training block or few.

Pay attention to your load management and nake adjustments from the data you collect.

edited May 5
    Ok and have you noticed that I lift my legs at the end of my repetitions? Is it bad, should I keep my legs straight if I want to work my back muscles more? I heard it shifts the focus to the abdominal muscles when we lift our legs.
    Ok and have you noticed that I lift my legs at the end of my repetitions? Is it bad, should I keep my legs straight if I want to work my back muscles more? I heard it shifts the focus to the abdominal muscles when we lift our legs.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about that as it is nothing exaggerated and would simply concentrate on getting sufficient volume at appropriate intensity with progress towards your goals. We expect some abdominal work in just about every lift known and when people attempt to major in the minors they might lose focus at the task at hand. You did just fine and if you have any questions on more advanced training when the time comes feel free to post 😊.
  • davew0000davew0000 Member Posts: 84 Member Member Posts: 84 Member
    Hi Chieflrg,

First up, thanks very much for the offer to review form. It’s generous of you.

Please could comment on my squat?

I’m a beginner. I’ve squated with a barbell for four weeks, since the gyms opened in the UK. This video is the first and only time I’ve filmed myself.

I’m aiming for the Starting Strength style. Open knee angle, closed hip angle, fairly closed back angle. This was at 80kg. I’ve done slightly more but am trying to learn the move and have decent form throughout.

I’m reasonably happy with what I see but note my tendency for the weight to fall forwards on the way up. One or two could’ve been deeper too.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zhDu0xD_w5k?feature=share

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dave