Barbell "Form check"(e.g., Squats, Deadlift, Benching, Presses)

12346»

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Hi Chieflrg- would this deep enough for competition? Thank you! gknhs77yu3v3.png
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    @billkansas
    It's borderline from what I can see. If you were planning to compete I would have you train a tad deeper.

For general training purposes without aspirations to compete, depth is fine.

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Thank you. I think "knee's out" is the cue? Any other advice? I did follow some posts above and invested in some better shoes!
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    @Chieflrg I've been working on my glutes and hamstrings for the past couple of months and I think i'm finally ready to get stronger on the squat. I found that the safety bar squat is perfect for me, I really want to get strong on this exercise, can you tell me if i'm doing it «correctly» so to speak? My goal is 225lbs for quality reps :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daW34Y_11jg

• Chieflrg
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    @Chieflrg I've been working on my glutes and hamstrings for the past couple of months and I think i'm finally ready to get stronger on the squat. I found that the safety bar squat is perfect for me, I really want to get strong on this exercise, can you tell me if i'm doing it «correctly» so to speak? My goal is 225lbs for quality reps

So yeah a pretty good squat there!

So I'm not sure if the floor has some noticeable humps but before you actually start you keep shifting you weight back and forth between heel and toes. Ideally I would like you to feel even pressure on your feet from toes to heel and side to side(the entire foot-even pressure). This might have your back angle pitched forward slightly similar to when start your decent. This isn't a bad thing. The key is to have even pressure to promote balance where ever that is for you as a individual and your anatomy.

One thing that appears to be happening is you're favoring your weight back onto your heels on the accent as well. Notice how your toes keep lifting up? This very well could be the camber of the SSB just throwing you off balance as we usually feel pulled forward and might over correct. Regardless we want to keep even pressure of the feet on the way up as well, even if that means we might "feel" we are leaning forward a tad too much. Again the cue is "even pressure".

One thing that I that really applaud you on is using appropriate weight in this set. I can see you are challenged but not grinding although it doesn't always feel that way ;). The weight could be 100 or 500lbs, that is arbitrary it is good weight for you on this day for your adaptations. Your technique is really good, just a little polish needed which everybody goes through during their entire lifting career. Well did!
  • Chieflrg
    billkansas wrote: »
    Thank you. I think "knee's out" is the cue? Any other advice? I did follow some posts above and invested in some better shoes!

Sorry I missed this reply. Not actually seeing your squat I wouldn't be sold on a any cue. There may be a slight adjustment in foot position, toe angle, bar placement, intensity etc...that would achieve the desired result. "Knees out" may be appropriate, and then again it may not.

I would encourage on finding what works for you as a individual and of course feel free to post a set if you like.

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited October 2021
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    @Chieflrg I've been working on my glutes and hamstrings for the past couple of months and I think i'm finally ready to get stronger on the squat. I found that the safety bar squat is perfect for me, I really want to get strong on this exercise, can you tell me if i'm doing it «correctly» so to speak? My goal is 225lbs for quality reps :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daW34Y_11jg

Yeah it was me trying to set my feet in postition, for some reason i'm afraid of losing balance and it was always an issue when squatting.

Thank you for the feedback, I woke up with neck pain and I don't know if it's due to the bar placement or something else.
  • Chieflrg

Yeah it was me trying to set my feet in postition, for some reason i'm afraid of losing balance and it was always an issue when squatting.

Thank you for the feedback, I woke up with neck pain and I don't know if it's due to the bar placement or something else.

Yes it very typical at certain times of training even with the most experienced lifters, we will go through some balance issues.

Neck pain could be from a combination of many things. Unless the padding slot was facing down on your traps exposing the bar more, I wouldn't think it is bar placement since the SSB doesn't really adjust.

Some possibilities could be when you squat within your programming day, bracing, even focus from being "afraid" of a certain weight, movement, or working through tweaks. Again I wouldn't point to one thing as if this is new.

Not knowing your programming I wouldn't hazard to guess nor would it be extremely important to me as 99% of the time these type of experiences go away in a few days. If it is uncomfortable to perform SSB maybe switch to a lowbar, hip belt, front, or leg press on the day you have SSB and just adjust the weight accordingly.

Just some options to consider if you haven't already.

I look forward to seeing your progress!