August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Your weather sounds just like ours! It’s soupy wet and warm in the mornings and baking hot later in the day.

We got out a little earlier today, still almost 90 by the time we finished but the dewpoint was only 71 instead of 81 like last time when we thought we might die. Comparatively it felt almost nice, especially under the trees where there was a little breeze. Tried for 5k at 10 minute pace and the three mile splits came out 9:51, 9:48, 9:52. So at least I’m consistent! I lifted heavy yesterday and my legs today felt like I borrowed someone else’s legs - you know how rental anything is always almost but not quite worn out and not the most expensive model even when it was new? That was what I felt like today. I’m having a weird hip issue which I think is caused by my gluteus medius tightening up on the opposite side from my tight ankle. Seems like I’m favoring the ankle and it makes my gait crooked. I tried to run straight and tall and the tightness didn’t exactly get better, but it stopped getting worse.

We took our cool down walk along the Wolf River and saw about a zillion damselflies and butterflies, as well as two blue tailed skinks. One of the things I like best about running is that it forces me to go outside when sane people are hiding in their air conditioned palaces, and there is always neat stuff to see outside.

@PastorVincent Great squirrel picture! Can I box up all our squirrels and ship them to you? The greedy little beasts are costing me a fortune in birdseed, they can jump to the feeder from anywhere in the yard and empty it in about ten minutes. They used to at least run when I went outside, but now they aren’t even scared of me anymore and just flip their tails at me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Great squirrel picture! Can I box up all our squirrels and ship them to you? The greedy little beasts are costing me a fortune in birdseed, they can jump to the feeder from anywhere in the yard and empty it in about ten minutes. They used to at least run when I went outside, but now they aren’t even scared of me anymore and just flip their tails at me.

That is what this one was doing actually! We have red, grey AND black squirrels at our bird feeder every day.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    We hosted a party this weekend, and it went very well. I don't think I'm on track with which day was supposed to be a run day, and which a rest - but now I've had 2 days of running in a row, so tomorrow will be a rest day. I calculated that each of 20 runs will need to average 6 miles or less to keep under that 120 mile limit, so I've done 3 x 5 miles, and now I am due a run of anywhere up to 9 miles. :) It might be a silly way to plan things, but it seems to be working out... I don't think I'm ready for a 9 mile run, though. I'll probably run 7 or 8, or one of each, and then a few more 5's to bank miles in the same way some members bank calories. I amuse myself.

Not silly at all. We all do what works best for each of us. We might START using some pre-can planned but then we vary it to whatever degree is needed for our personal life to make work.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I'm not working this week, so I went running with my husband this morning. I considered waiting until this evening but was stuck with no good options. It was either hottish with soupy air or dryer but 100F. I opted for hottish with soupy air because I could at least avoid the sun's radiating heat. It was super slow, but we got it done.

Yeah, [high heat low humidity] vs [high humidity med heat] is a tough call. I tend to end up in the high heat low humidity part of the day just do to schedule, but I lean towards thinking the med heat part of the day is probably better.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary - Brilliant on the HM! Such a great time, Congratulations!!
    @skippygirlsmom - I hope Vanderbilt can figure out what is going on with the Skippy Girl. I also think it is so wrong of the school to keep her from running when they did nothing to fix the issue that caused her to leave in the first place!

Vanderbilt is awesome. At least the children's hospital there! They treated my son when he was 2 and we nearly lost him. I hope you get answers soon!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Tramboman wrote: »

Scheduled rest day today. @AlphaHowls can lower her dew claws.

To be honest, I have never seen her do that! LOL
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options

That is what this one was doing actually! We have red, grey AND black squirrels at our bird feeder every day.

When our daughter lived in Baltimore we got a round 'squirrel proof' bird feeder with a center core for the seed. It was, sort of squirrel proof, until one managed to get inside and was running around and around like in a hamster ball and couldn't get out... I don't think he came back to try it again.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @Lazy_Bones_85 - I don't do strep throat, can't. I have a very specific vulnerability so keep it where ever you are please! I do hope you are feeling better soon - it can be miserable!