What’s your favourite carb as part of a fitness lifestyle?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Brownies.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    I never thought about a favorite carb, but bread and pasta would be near the top of the list. Just had 2 big plates of spaghetti and garlic bread last night matter of fact :p
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited August 2019
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I never thought about a favorite carb, but bread and pasta would be near the top of the list. Just had 2 big plates of spaghetti and garlic bread last night matter of fact :p

Don't make me cry. :sad: 100 carbs doesn't allow for spaghetti and garlic bread.

I might need to plan that into my next high day.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Are the English people saying bread while people in USA are not? Does that mean something?

I live in the UK and was also about to say 'bread'...

Looks like the UK term I just learned here is "bloomer"

Bloomer is just a description of the Shape of the bread.
    Like a large, oval shaped loaf.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Interesting to hear couscous being described as a pasta, love an Italians thoughts on that!

Some good thoughts here for sure.

I can’t imagine what else you’d choose to describe it as! It is a form of pasta. Not a grain, not a seed 🤷‍♀️

What would you call it?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

Don't make me cry. :sad: 100 carbs doesn't allow for spaghetti and garlic bread.

You're still on that?! I wouldn't mind having the level of strength you do @quiksylver296 , but if having it means no spaghetti I guess I'll have to be content where I'm at :p
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Probably cake. Nvm, actually just frosting. A jar of frosting. Good stuff, makes me ill if I eat too much, so good motivation for me to stay on track.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited August 2019
    So many to choose from. Rice is probably my favorite, followed by bread, oatmeal and cereal...
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Interesting to hear couscous being described as a pasta, love an Italians thoughts on that!

Just because it's not Italian doesn't mean it's not pasta. It's the same, just tiny and round instead of other shapes. But, to answer your question, pasta is my favorite carb, and I eat it often as part of a healthy lifestyle. There's no reason you can't.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited August 2019
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Are the English people saying bread while people in USA are not? Does that mean something?

We have a new symptom: "BREADPHOBIA" hehehehehehehe

I just am not that into bread. I'm kind of so-so on rice too, and don't like any cereal type breakfast foods other than cooked oats.

Pickiness aside, I don't understand why one would choose a "carb" (I guess starchy side is meant) or why any particular one is better than others for fitness.

I might pick corn as my favorite, but only during corn season when it's fresh. Potatoes and pasta are great. Lentils are great, black beans are great, but really depends on what else I'm eating. There are lots of interesting grains too. If I had to pick only one as my usual staple, potatoes.

I'd pick fruit over any starchy side if we could only have one or the other, but happily life requires no such choices.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

You're still on that?! I wouldn't mind having the level of strength you do @quiksylver296 , but if having it means no spaghetti I guess I'll have to be content where I'm at :p

Again, not still. I ate what I wanted on vacation.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Favorite carb for fitness?

Well fitness is very important to me and I eat a lot of carbs so... my answer is oats, grains like millet and quinoa, black beans and bananas. I also love the sun dried tomato wheat thins with hummus.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited August 2019

I don't think couscous is a pasta, exactly, but it is made from exactly the same ingredient and has the same nutritional profile.

So I would be interested to know why you think that durum wheat made into small pellets is in some way better for fitness than durum wheat made into spirals, bows, noodles etc.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited August 2019
    My problem with "unhealthy" carbs, is my will power is tested to the extreme. Take pasta for instance, I could eat 10 servings at one time no problem. Same with bread. or bag of chips etc....(working on willpower is part of my journey to goal and beyond.) I'm getting better though..started out with 50 carbs a day and now average around 125-150 net , mostly from fruits and non starch veggies. I stay much more satisfied in that range.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Fruits: cherries, nectarines, apples, blueberries, avocado, eggplant/aubergine

Vegetables: Swiss chard, arugula/rocket, kale, spinach, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, jicama, sweet potatoes/yams, sugar snap peas, corn, pretty much all legumes/beans/pulses

Grains: just about all whole grain breads, pasta, rice, oatmeal, etc.

• cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    I am a distance runner and every night before a race or long run my go to food is pizza. one slice. Maybe its in my head but it doesn't give me stomach problems before or during my runs and I always feel fueled. I have been running distance 11 years and its always been pizza for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    According to an MFP report the carb I consume the most often is black coffee. I guess whoever entered it rounded it up to 1 gram per 8 ounces. I log 32 whether I drink that much or not because I just copy it from day to day.

• HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2019
    Rice is the most filling so I eat less of it. It doesn't leave me with a heavy feeling the next day.

I can eat way too much pasta and bread lol

Editing to add: When I'm hiking, I like to have orange slices with me. I've tried all kinds of things for fuel and did the best with them.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    hmmm, my go-to startchy carbs are farro and barley - i will eat rice but i prefer their textures; frosted mini-wheats for my go-to cereal of choice - but unlike @quiksylver296 i eat 350-450g of carbs a day (just had to rub it in)