What’s your favourite carb as part of a fitness lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    According to an MFP report the carb I consume the most often is black coffee. I guess whoever entered it rounded it up to 1 gram per 8 ounces. I log 32 whether I drink that much or not because I just copy it from day to day.

32 ounces, right? Not 32 coffees??
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My problem with "unhealthy" carbs, is my will power is tested to the extreme. Take pasta for instance, I could eat 10 servings at one time no problem.

I couldn't (plain pasta I can't imagine eating at all, and when you add lots of other filling things 10 servings would be a gigantic volume). IMO, a dish with pasta can be extremely nutrient dense (or not) and the calories are going to depend on lots of things besides the pasta itself.

I find one serving of pasta, plus some kind of meat or beans (shrimp is a great low cal addition) and lots of veg to be filling, pretty voluminous, and nothing I could imagine thinking of as "unhealthy."

Same with pasta with the meat sauce I make, which is usually lean ground beef, tomatoes, and lots of different veg, depending on what's around the house.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    My problem with "unhealthy" carbs, is my will power is tested to the extreme. Take pasta for instance, I could eat 10 servings at one time no problem.

I couldn't, and also a dish with pasta can be extremely nutrient dense (or not) and the calories are going to depend on lots of things besides the pasta itself.

I find one serving of pasta, plus some kind of meat or beans (shrimp is a great low cal addition) and lots of veg to be filling, pretty voluminous, and nothing I could imagine thinking of as "unhealthy."

Same with pasta with the meat sauce I make, which is usually lean ground beef, tomatoes, and lots of different veg, depending on what's around the house.

Well, glad you can control it but I was overeating to extreme and gorged myself sick. Everyone is different on how they handle food.
  • nighthawk584
    Options

I couldn't, and also a dish with pasta can be extremely nutrient dense (or not) and the calories are going to depend on lots of things besides the pasta itself.

Well, glad you can control it but I was overeating to extreme and gorged myself sick.

maybe because you have equated pasta to being bad unhealthy and bad for you and mentally that is alluring and you want to eat more of it...the taste of the forbidden...

Maybe, but it has helped me lose over 60 lbs staying away from it :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    hmmm, my go-to startchy carbs are farro and barley - i will eat rice but i prefer their textures; frosted mini-wheats for my go-to cereal of choice - but unlike @quiksylver296 i eat 350-450g of carbs a day (just had to rub it in)

Ouch. (And I do love frosted mini-wheats, with almond milk! Yum!)

:D
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    According to an MFP report the carb I consume the most often is black coffee. I guess whoever entered it rounded it up to 1 gram per 8 ounces. I log 32 whether I drink that much or not because I just copy it from day to day.

32 ounces, right? Not 32 coffees??

What is the problem with 32 coffees? That is only 256 calories.

• sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    M&M's and snickers bars! Great carbs.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Multigrain bread toast.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It’s hard because if fitness wasn’t a thing, pasta would be top for me but if taking fitness into consideration, I’ve gotta say that couscous is incredibly versatile and works with so many things!

Anyone agree or have other thoughts?

I can't agree with the sentiment that you can't eat pasta but you can eat couscous - which is pasta as well.....
    Had an interesting conversation with someone who insisted, for no apparent reason, it was made from cauliflower and not durum wheat semolina flour. Didn't seem convinced when I got him to read the label.
    It is very versatile though and featured heavily on a recent camping trip as it's so quick and easy to prepare.
    (One of my favourite couscous dishes is salmon, flavoured couscous, chorizo, spring onion, sundried tomatoes all cooked together in a parcel.)

I enjoy all the starchy carbs, with a very high calorie allowance (boosted by my exercise) there's no reason for me to avoid them as part of my everyday diet. Personally I find starchy carbs the most satiating, far more so than protein or fat. Lost 4lbs in the build up to a recent big event eating a lot of carbs. Depends on the dish which carbs goes best.

For fuelling long bikes rides a big portion of carby breakfast cereal (muesli or granola) is my breakfast of choice but during the ride itself I'm prioritising simple carbs - I don't enjoy sports energy drinks but they are very convenient and effective.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    hmmm, my go-to startchy carbs are farro and barley - i will eat rice but i prefer their textures; frosted mini-wheats for my go-to cereal of choice - but unlike @quiksylver296 i eat 350-450g of carbs a day (just had to rub it in)

oEHLqdC.gif
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

oEHLqdC.gif

trust me - i've done the 100g carbs or less when i do a fat loss cycle - i'm quite content where i am right now buti know after Tri season that will happena gain
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

Well, glad you can control it but I was overeating to extreme and gorged myself sick. Everyone is different on how they handle food.

But you don't gorge yourself the same way on the same thing in couscous form? Interesting! What do you think is the difference? Is it mouth-feel? Different sauces?
  • nighthawk584
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

But you don't gorge yourself the same way on the same thing in couscous form? Interesting! What do you think is the difference? Is it mouth-feel? Different sauces?

I don't eat couscous , don't even know what it is. haha
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

couscous was the OP not Nighthawk (i had to go back and check)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's a toss-up between rice, potatoes, my homemade ravioli, and homemade pizza.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

oEHLqdC.gif

trust me - i've done the 100g carbs or less when i do a fat loss cycle - i'm quite content where i am right now buti know after Tri season that will happena gain

Same here - I saw the "Rub it in" and felt bad for quik lol. I know she loves her carbs :)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

couscous was the OP not Nighthawk (i had to go back and check)

Whoops, sorry - clearly my favourite carb at this point should be caffeinated ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

oEHLqdC.gif

Same here - I saw the "Rub it in" and felt bad for quik lol. I know she loves her carbs :)

i'll love them for her...they'll be well taken care of ;)

:laugh:

That's the nice thing about calorie cycling. I get 200 grams twice a week. I just have to plan a bit.

And just wait until bulking season!