What’s your favourite carb as part of a fitness lifestyle?

It’s hard because if fitness wasn’t a thing, pasta would be top for me but if taking fitness into consideration, I’ve gotta say that couscous is incredibly versatile and works with so many things!

Anyone agree or have other thoughts?

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I don't understand why can't you eat pasta? I am sure people who have a fitness lifestyle eat pasta.

I didn't realise that couscous is pasta thank you @vaman I had to google it. :)

"Couscous is a tiny pasta made of wheat or barley. Although couscous was traditionally hand-rolled, these days it's made by machine: Coarsely-ground durum wheat (semolina) is moistened and tossed with fine wheat flour until it forms tiny, round balls.28 Aug 2018"

• Alzzi_2
    Alzzi_2 Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hmm.. talking weakness or.. preferred

My preferred carb for good health is vegetable carb but...

Weakness is... ahh.. do I dare to say.. hot chips, Turkey bread, yes patsa, wine, whiskey, martinis... better stop ..lol
  • Alzzi_2
    Alzzi_2 Posts: 2,149 Member
    Ohh forgot chocolate :p
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Pasta, bread, vegetables. Couscous is actually tiny pasta no? I always thought it was made from semolina.

Yes. Couscous, in its original form, are just crushed Durum Wheat Semolina made into tiny balls by steaming.

To the original question.
    I like Rice, Beans and Pasta.
    I don't eat bread when I am cutting, but that's because of calorie control and some flashes of addiction, but I would if I could keep it under control.

Favorite Bread : The Trio of Olive Bloomer. Bought it once at Tesco in the UK and it was instant addiction.

Here's a recipe that is "Kinda, sorta" similar.
    https://www.sonneveld.com/en/recipes/r/classic_olive_bloomer/
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Yup bread is my kryptonite. Tesco Cranberry and nut bread is amazing, especially paired with some Wenslydale and Cranberry cheese.
  • tlpina82
    Yup bread is my kryptonite. Tesco Cranberry and nut bread is amazing, especially paired with some Wenslydale and Cranberry cheese.

DUUUUUDE... Wensleydale with Prosciutto and 2 slices or either cranberry and nut, trio of olives or 3 cheese bloomer is "DA BOMB".
    Dammit... Hunger pangs are hitting hard now.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Another vote for bread! Especially home made bread. I find bread baking (baking in general, really, but specifically bread making) immensely therapeutic and it pains me to have to severely limit my therapy when I’m calorie counting because I just can’t resist fresh from the oven crusty bloomer with a baked Camembert and toasted walnuts with a little sharp fruit jelly on the side! 😋😋

But as for a carb when calorie counting, I find rice or pasta pretty versatile because you can bulk them up massively with vegetables etc.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I love carbs, especially fruit. I eat a good amount of rice and beans also.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    I love all these new protein pastas, they're easy to adjust serving sizes depending on my calories left (ie. decrease and add extra veggies if I'm low on cal, increase if I have some to spare) and really help me get towards my protein goal as a vegetarian.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Are the English people saying bread while people in USA are not? Does that mean something?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Are the English people saying bread while people in USA are not? Does that mean something?

I live in the UK and was also about to say 'bread'...
  • tlpina82

We have a new symptom: "BREADPHOBIA" hehehehehehehe
  • mikeedinburgh
    mikeedinburgh Posts: 38 Member
    Interesting to hear couscous being described as a pasta, love an Italians thoughts on that!

Some good thoughts here for sure.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Bread, but I eat them all. I’m not a huge pasta fan, but I do make quite a few entrees with it. Nothing wrong with carbs, or any food for that matter. Portion control, moderation and calorie budget, and all foods are possible.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »

I live in the UK and was also about to say 'bread'...

Looks like the UK term I just learned here is "bloomer"
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    Now that my husband is getting back into heavy exercise (long miles walking, running and cycling) I anticipate that he will start baking bread again. He makes the best bread.