Am I really committing a crime against humanity?

Options
lorrichoo
lorrichoo Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Why is it such a crime to want to change your life?

Throughout my life I have suffered with anxiety and depression and also have an excessive junk food addiction. It was a few years ago when I did something about it that changed my life for the better. I quit junk food cold turkey. It was very hard going at first as I suffered withdrawal symptoms but after that I felt like a new person - energetic, improved concentration, improved mental health, I felt amazing. And I lost over a stone in the process.
I no longer craved junk food, I craved healthy food like salad and vegetables. Then along came the time of year when people celebrated with chocolate and cakes and extended family offered me chocolate and cakes and said I had done so well, why don't I have a treat. I thought I am in a better place now, I can be social with them. I was wrong and it all went downhill from there. Que years later and almost 3 stone heavier, I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life and my junk food addiction is back with a vengeance and I feel awful - so lethargic and like life is passing me by. I am in my mid 30's and almost 13 stone. According to my BMI I am overweight and have a high risk of diabetes.

Over the last few years I have tried to get back to that state of being from the other year but people around me are making it so difficult. I'm one of those 'all or nothing' people. I can't do things in moderation which makes sense considering the effect junk food has on your brain. Every time I try to change my lifestyle to healthy eating and being more active, I am labelled as going on a diet and am mocked in so many ways about it. Since when has wanting to look after yourself meant you are going on a diet?
I get bombarded with this from the people who are meant to be supporting me:

"just a small slice, it won't do you any harm" (oh yes it will)

"just have a little bite then" (no thank you)

"you've done so well over the last couple of weeks, you deserve to treat yourself" (I don't want to treat myself, I feel more rewarded from eating none of this junk)

"I made this dessert especially for you" (you know i am not eating this kind of stuff so why do you make it then get offended when I turn it down?, p.s the arguments that night were horrendous!!)

"oh come on, you can't be healthy all your life" (you what?? being healthy makes me feel good, do you not want me to feel good all my life?)

"you need some enjoyment in your life" (oh really, so the enjoyment I get from my hobbies that don't revolve around food are not actually classed as enjoyment?)

"pies are not processed" (oh really?? in which country do they grow pies on trees?)

"But I bought this cake especially for you" (why? when you know I am not eating cakes!)

"are you sure you don't want any". (well I didn't want any a min ago or 5 mins ago or 10 mins ago or 20 mins ago or 2 hours ago when you kept asking me, so why would I want some now? when are you going to take the hint that I don't want any?? FGS, If I want some, I'll get some)

Other people told to take my share of the dessert home and eat it in front of me because I didn't want any. That really hurt! Why would they say that to a junk food addict? Surely they wouldn't say similar to an alcoholic or a drug addict? I have explained to my mum how junk food makes me feel and my addiction with it and how I felt when I quit it but to no avail. My mum is the same weight as me but has more health problems than me!!

So as you can see, the above makes it virtually impossible for me to stick to my all or nothing healthy eating. And don't get me started on getting invited out for a meal!

It feels like it's a crime to want to be healthy and live a healthy life. I have so many health problems which I know are caused by my unhealthy eating but my loved ones around me seem to be constantly sabotaging it. I have tried to explain about how it's all or nothing for me, that I can't stick to it when I have things in moderation and they don't take a blind bit of notice, they act as though I am committing a crime against humanity as though eating healthy is wrong. There is more to life than food and I want to be the best version of myself but how am I supposed to do that when I am constantly bombarded by criticism or food from my parents? All I want is to let go of my junk food addiction and enjoy life by eating healthily and having the energy to do what makes me happy. Why is that so forbidden in this day and age?

Maybe I should take all the above as a form of motivation so I can stick 2 fingers up to them when I have stuck to healthy eating for many months and am feeling the best I can be. It will certainly give me more confidence to be more assertive and turn things down without causing an argument. Has anyone else come up against this kind of thing from people that are supposed to be supporting them?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when people try to shove "treats" onto me. I will occasionally have something just to keep the peace but I am fortunate enough that I've now been on my regime for three years and I am not finding that the small "treat" makes me fall off the wagon. Mostly because I now genuinely don't actually like sweet things all that much any more.

You just have to do what is right for you and if that means cold turkey for a long period of time then go for it. If you have to invent some kind of medical condition as an excuse to refuse things that may help you.

Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I doubt the op needs therapy.

Her words: "Throughout my life I have suffered with anxiety and depression"

Add to that a bad relationship with food and a hard time coping with friends and family. I would think therapy is a very valid suggestion.

^this.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My mother always said that if you are polite, you don't owe anyone an explanation. Look directly in their eyes and say, "No, thank you." You don't have to give them a reason, they don't deserve an excuse. With a simple, "No, thank you", you have asserted control. If you don't give them a reason, you don't give them an opening and watching them fish for one can be entertaining. On the rare occasions I am forced to repeat myself, I like to include a little head shake and a "no, you silly fool" smile.
    This.
    Sometimes I'll say something like, "thank you so much for thinking of me!" or "this makes me feel so special!" (neither of which is a lie)