Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What Effect Do Chia Seeds Have on You?

candykoatedcandykoated Posts: 55Member Member Posts: 55Member Member
My coworker has been trying to get me to try chia seeds in my food/water for the longest. I’ve tried chia pudding before and the texture just messed me up all the way, so I couldn’t do it. I refused to try them again after that. Since then, I’ve been reading about the benefits of these miniscule buds and decided to give them another shot. I put two tsps in my water and let me tell you… I felt like I had taken a laxative. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Replies

• BecomingBaneBecomingBane Posts: 3,611Member Member Posts: 3,611Member Member
    Added Fiber.
  • stephaniek511stephaniek511 Posts: 37Member Member Posts: 37Member Member
    I put them in my overnight oats because, well, most of the recipes call for them as a thickener. I enjoy the little crunch they add but haven't noticed quite the effect you have.
  • cbstewart88cbstewart88 Posts: 369Member Member Posts: 369Member Member
    I put them in my smoothies for texture mostly (One tablespoon). Don't see any effects from them....good or bad...
  • MelanieCN77MelanieCN77 Posts: 3,620Member Member Posts: 3,620Member Member
    Make me check my teeth after.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,616Member Member Posts: 6,616Member Member
    Weight gain.
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,202Member Member Posts: 1,202Member Member

At first they had a kind of laxative affect, but my system got used to them.
    I like them for a little added fiber and protein. I’ve never had the pudding. I sprinkle them on my oatmeal, salads, eggs and yogurt. I’ve been eating them for about 7 years. They were pretty hard to find when I first started eating them, but you can find them everywhere now.
    edited August 12
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 19,065Member Member Posts: 19,065Member Member
    I use powdered vitamin C to keep me regular and after I started adding chia seeds to smoothies cut back the C 25%.

I do like how chia seeds in smoothies helps keep me fuller longer.

Best price I've seen is the giant Badia jug at Walmart.
  • vxcrossvxcross Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I'm fairly "regular" now that I've upped my fibre. I stir them into my oatmeal every morning and into my overnight oats if I'm away from home and want a healthy pre-made breakfast. Hopefully your body will get used to their awesome benefits :)
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,638Member Member Posts: 2,638Member Member
    They would probably send me to the ER with an acute case of diverticulitis :'(
  • Mcwi3681Mcwi3681 Posts: 35Member Member Posts: 35Member Member
    I eat about 3 tablespoons of them a day on average, in my breakfast smoothie and sprinkled over a salad for lunch. I never noticed a difference except they make me need to floss after lunch!
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,344Member Member Posts: 9,344Member Member
    I've only had them in chia pudding, which I love...the overnight whole kind as well as the chia pudding you blend in a Vitamix for instant pudding consistency.

Have not noticed any ill effects or any specific effects at all, but I already eat a lot of fiber and am "regular". Honestly until this thread I'd never considered just eating them on a salad or in oatmeal, etc.
  • boldkneeboldknee Posts: 53Member Member Posts: 53Member Member
    Do other small seeds bother you? Examples might be raspberries, fennel seeds in sausages, sesame seeds, etc.
    Some people can't handle them. Usually these are people diagnosed with IBS, but not exclusively.
  • k8eekinsk8eekins Posts: 1,991Member Member Posts: 1,991Member Member
    My coworker has been trying to get me to try chia seeds in my food/water for the longest. I’ve tried chia pudding before and the texture just messed me up all the way, so I couldn’t do it. I refused to try them again after that. Since then, I’ve been reading about the benefits of these miniscule buds and decided to give them another shot. I put two tsps in my water and let me tell you… I felt like I had taken a laxative. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I'd first enjoyed chia seeds in a stuffing and mostly as an egg substitute when we ran out of eggs. Taking it like a herbal concoction like the old days, especially when you're opposed to its texture, necessitates a change. Think of it as you would a condiment.

If you consider adding it to your breading or opting for it as a crust for any of your vegan/meat dishes or hopefully for when you're inclined to try some homebaking, starting with your favourite breads and savoury crackers, might help. Personally, my favourite is flaxseed bread because the flavour profile is similar to a specific tribal bread favourite.

Its effects are normal, nothing extreme, for I don't use it excessively, neither is out of the box for me, much like the use of pumpkin seeds.
    edited August 13
  • jgnatcajgnatca Posts: 14,495Member Member Posts: 14,495Member Member
    It does nothing for you so if I were you I’d give it up. It’s just an extra absorbent soluble fiber.

Try an apple a day instead.
  • JeromeBarry1JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,045Member Member Posts: 10,045Member Member
    I add chia seeds to my eggs. I don't notice the chia seeds after that.
  • whitpaulywhitpauly Posts: 989Member Member Posts: 989Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Weight gain.

They can have alot of cals if you're just tossing them in😬
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 19,065Member Member Posts: 19,065Member Member
    I used to have them dry in this or that and they do stick in my teeth like that. Now I soak them in a little water. I'd read you only need to do this for 15 minutes, but I soak for at least a few hours and preferably overnight.

Properly soaked, I have no issues with them getting stuck in my teeth or digesting them. They remind me of frog's eggs.

38885689-glass-of-chia-seeds-soaking-in-water-isolated-on-white.jpg
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,202Member Member Posts: 1,202Member Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to have them dry in this or that and they do stick in my teeth like that. Now I soak them in a little water. I'd read you only need to do this for 15 minutes, but I soak for at least a few hours and preferably overnight.

Properly soaked, I have no issues with them getting stuck in my teeth or digesting them. They remind me of frog's eggs.

38885689-glass-of-chia-seeds-soaking-in-water-isolated-on-white.jpg

Great tip! How much do you use for both water & chia seeds? I’m going to try this!