Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Do you track fruits and veggies?

shira77shira77 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
Hi, I’m on day 4 and I was wondering if you guys track the fruit and vegetables you eat? When I used to be on Weight Watchers most fruit and veggies were considered 0 points. I don’t eat more than 2-3 servings per day and I’m not sure if I need to track them.

Replies

• sgt1372sgt1372 Posts: 3,118Member Member Posts: 3,118Member Member
    Yes, I do.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 2,865Member Member Posts: 2,865Member Member
    Yes. 2-3 servings of fruit could really add up. 2-3 servings of non-starchy veg won't, but your numbers will be inaccurate.

I like to have my numbers as accurate as possible when tracking and I like to understand differences between days -- If I'm way over because I went nuts on pears (unlikely) or easily stayed under my cals because I ate a bunch of non starchy veg, I'd like to know.

Also I usually eat 10+ servings of veg plus a couple servings of fruit and I consider that important. For me counting is part of making sure I do that, and am not lying to myself.

When I was counting for weight loss being complete was helpful too.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 1,852Member Member Posts: 1,852Member Member
    An apple can easily be over 70 calories. Do you think those 70 calories don't count?
  • mbaker566mbaker566 Posts: 9,412Member Member Posts: 9,412Member Member
    when you count calories, you count all your calories. fruit, veg, cake, milk, etc
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 2,842Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,842Member, Premium Member
    shira77 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m on day 4 and I was wondering if you guys track the fruit and vegetables you eat? When I used to be on Weight Watchers most fruit and veggies were considered 0 points. I don’t eat more than 2-3 servings per day and I’m not sure if I need to track them.

I track everything I consume. I eat hundreds of calories in fruits and vegetables daily.

You need to stay at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. If you don't log everything, you'll never know your calorie intake.
  • tcunbelievertcunbeliever Posts: 6,922Member Member Posts: 6,922Member Member
    Yes, but I have to say I'm less worried about accuracy for calorie sparse items like lettuce...the calorie difference between 1 3/4 cups vs 2 cups is just not significant...unlike something like peanut butter where being off 1/4 cup is a huge amount of calories.
  • brittanystebbins95brittanystebbins95 Posts: 219Member Member Posts: 219Member Member
    Yes, but I have to say I'm less worried about accuracy for calorie sparse items like lettuce...the calorie difference between 1 3/4 cups vs 2 cups is just not significant...unlike something like peanut butter where being off 1/4 cup is a huge amount of calories.

This.
    I don't track things like lettuce or mustard because there's not enough calories for me to even care. I probably burn what they're worth in the effort of going to the fridge and getting them.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 11,474Member Member Posts: 11,474Member Member
    Maybe think of this in a different way:

MFP is a calorie counting site. It's built around the concept that you eat in a style that works for you, count the calories, hit a calorie goal that's based on your personal characteristics and activity level, and thereby lose weight. You have calories to "spend" on whatever foods you prefer. (Most of us find complying with a calorie goal easier when we spend most of that calorie budget on nutritious, filling foods, but MFP doesn't try to force us to do that.)

Weight Watchers is a program for managing your eating to achieve weight loss and improve the quality of your diet. It gives you points to "spend" on food, but makes some of the nutritious, filling foods have a low cost in points, to encourage you to eat more of those foods. For that to work out, many people find that their assigned points effectively add up to a lower amount of food than would fit into MFP calories (i.e., they assume you're eating a good bit of the free foods, so they don't give you as many points to "buy" other foods with).

In your question, you're essentially asking whether it would make sense to use part of the rules from MFP, and part of the rules from Weight Watchers. The answer is mostly "no, it wouldn't make sense" (though there are ways you can make them work together if you understand what they're trying to accomplish). But it's like asking whether it would make sense to use part of the rules of Poker, and part of the rules from Go Fish, since they're both card games. ;)

You can probably get away without tracking veggies, especially if you still have a good bit of weight to lose, but as you progress and have less wiggle room in your calorie budget, you may find that breaks down (especially if you happen to start eating more veggies along the way). Also, if you haven't tracked veggies, you'll have less accurate data available to help you estimate what changes you may need to make in your eating or exercise along the way, as your bodyweight or goals change. Neither of those issues is life-threatening, but it's worth considering.

Best wishes!
  • beckys19beckys19 Posts: 119Member Member Posts: 119Member Member
    I log almost all fruits and veggies. The only exceptions are when I add a little lettuce, onion, peppers, etc as a topping to a burger, hot dog, or taco, (or lemon/lime juice) since I know that the amounts I add would be under 10 calories and not make or break my day either way. Maybe if I munch a small strawberry or a couple blueberries when preparing the boy's lunches too, lol...
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88brittgreenlikethecolor88 Posts: 89Member Member Posts: 89Member Member
    Yep.... fruit calories add up quicker than you think. Lots of sugar. Veggies can be tricky too.... like I love steamed brussel sprouts, when I started logging them I surprised to see how many calories and carbs they have.... glad I looked it up. I'm not super strict with veggies like celery and lettuce since they are mostly water... Just depends on what it is I guess!
  • TerythaTerytha Posts: 772Member, Premium Member Posts: 772Member, Premium Member
    This apple I'm eating for breakfast is 106 calories. My green beans I eat for lunch are around 60 calories. That's usually all I get for fruit/veg in a day.

166 calories a day is 1162 calories a week. If you eat an extra thousand calories a week, your weight loss would slow a good bit and maybe stop.

Not so insignificant. Definitely not even close to zero.
    edited August 15