Keto unhealthy???

Options
124»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    chixy18 wrote: »
    Everything i am researching shows that keto is a great way to loose weight.... but its bad for long term, its ment for 30-90 days to kickstart you. But then your very likely to gain it back do to its restrictivness. Also puts you at a high risk of diabetes and heart disease. Wouldnt it be smarter to just do low carb and work out n watch what you eat instead of cutting all carbs n putting so much fat into your body? Keto also breaks down muscle mass....give me your thoughts!?

There's LOTS here that is not substantiated by the research. But you've likely heard the criticism of your generalization already, so I won't go into detail. PM me if you'd like.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    chixy18 wrote: »
    Everyone is getting really offensive...it comes down to this...depending where you look you can find articles showing keto is healthy or you can find studies showing its unhealthy just like anything else in this world! Someone above said first 10lbs on keto are water n if you stop after that youll gain it back... thats not keto thats any diet! I lost 7lbs of water weight last week starting a new diet and eating carbs. Its all about being smart with what you eat. This week i have gained a lb but lost over two inches between my thighs n waist. YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! If its keto thats great as long as you can restrict yourself to that diet forever. Others dont like to do so and choose another method and thats fine too!

Everyone? Way to insult all of the numerous people who have posted on the thread.

It's common to lose more water weight at the beginning of keto (even if you've already been dieting) because dropping carbs causes a drop of water. That's related to keto flu too, and why it's important to make sure you have sufficient electrolytes (many will recommend consuming more salt at the beginning of keto).

I would say that the vast majority of posts in this thread have agreed that people should do what works for them, and that keto works really well for some and makes no difference or makes things hard/impossible for others. Some people have just disagreed with some of the things in your OP. (Everything I would have said directly in response to that has been said.)

There's absolutely no need to "do keto" (or whatever you do) forever. I tried keto for a while (on maintenance), decided it wasn't for me, but enjoyed and am glad I did the experiment. I've done other experiments too, and played around with the carb percentage (I'm currently back to kind of low, not keto).

Since woo is going away anyway, I'd be curious what in this is woo.

I like the idea of woo to avoid piling on when objections/argument has already been explained, but it always strikes me as odd when there's no actual response disagreeing. Seems passive-aggressive or just cowardly.

If someone thinks I lack cites/reasons for what I said, I'd love to understand why and to provide the necessary information.

In that what I said was open to different people following different approaches, not anti keto (or "everyone must do keto") at all, and mainly defending posters in the thread against the claim that we are all "really offensive," I'm really curious how that's woo. Not upset, just genuinely curious.

If it's that I like to do diet experiments or think you don't have to do the same thing you start out with forever, isn't that worth an actual discussion?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Humans were never meant to eat carbs the way we do. I doubt cavemen could get refined flours or super concentrated sugars. Even fruits have been genetically altered to be sweeter.

I for one have felt 1000x better on the caveman diet, I mean keto diet.

Following that logic, humans are meant to spend the bulk of their time hunting, gathering, and cooking, and no time sitting in chairs staring at screens, yes?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Humans were never meant to eat carbs the way we do. I doubt cavemen could get refined flours or super concentrated sugars. Even fruits have been genetically altered to be sweeter.

I for one have felt 1000x better on the caveman diet, I mean keto diet.

Following that logic, humans are meant to spend the bulk of their time hunting, gathering, and cooking, and no time sitting in chairs staring at screens, yes?

Which IMO is why we exercise. We have to replace all those formerly active hours...