Keto unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    caligkela wrote: »
    I just finished a biochemistry class for my degree and the professor told us about a conference he had been to on biochem in nutrition. 10/10 biochemists do NOT recommend Keto or long term intermittent fasting. Both have detrimental affects on muscle wastage tolerance and risk of ketoacidosis.

There isn't evidence to support either of those statements.

Just throwing this out there as food for thought.
    There "wasn't evidence" of grain-free diets being harmful for dogs, either. And it took loads of dogs to develop a severe and deadly heart condition, and a long time for it to be linked to grain free diets, before the FDA released any information or warnings on it.
    Not saying there IS credible evidence, but I know that often, the research is way behind and we never find out just how BAD something is for us until its too late.
    I'd rather not take any risks like that and just stick to a normal calorie deficit by monitoring portions and making sure my proteins, fats, and carbs are balanced. Not one practically eliminated or drastically reduced.

The only problem with this is that the Keto diet has been around and in use since the early 1900's (or before). I think any major health concerns would have shown up by now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I just finished a biochemistry class for my degree and the professor told us about a conference he had been to on biochem in nutrition. 10/10 biochemists do NOT recommend Keto or long term intermittent fasting. Both have detrimental affects on muscle wastage tolerance and risk of ketoacidosis.

There "wasn't evidence" of grain-free diets being harmful for dogs, either. And it took loads of dogs to develop a severe and deadly heart condition, and a long time for it to be linked to grain free diets, before the FDA released any information or warnings on it.
    Not saying there IS credible evidence, but I know that often, the research is way behind and we never find out just how BAD something is for us until its too late.
    I'd rather not take any risks like that and just stick to a normal calorie deficit by monitoring portions and making sure my proteins, fats, and carbs are balanced. Not one practically eliminated or drastically reduced.

The only problem with this is that the Keto diet has been around and in use since the early 1900's (or before). I think any major health concerns would have shown up by now.

Yes, but modern medicine has not.

We used to believe that women had demons inside them that had to be exorcised by the use of "medical instruments" that we now buy to do the dirty with ourselves. The word "hysteria" literally comes from that. The latin root "hyster" is used to describe the uterus, hence why a hysterectomy is a removal of the uterus.

Not saying that keto is stupid at all.

I'm just saying that we weren't always all that educated and we're learning and discovering more every day.

No matter how much we science the crap out of something, there will still be questions regarding diets. Just look at aspartame. Its been studied 50 years and still has recent research regarding its safety.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Interesting. In case anyone else was wondering: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

My mother and brother feed their dog a grain-free food that does have peas in the first 6 ingredients.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,068 Member
    Options

Then how should we decide what to be afraid of? Just be afraid of everthing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on the "natural selection tested human diets" idea . . . but those are pretty diverse.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Interesting. In case anyone else was wondering: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

My mother and brother feed their dog a grain-free food that does have peas in the first 6 ingredients.

Thank you for the link, I was wondering. My dog is allergic (blood tests by the vet, not just our neurosis) to wheat, rice, maize, cows milk, beef, white fish, dust mites plus many tree and grass pollens so that was an interesting read!