Minimum salt and sugar

Options
PWHF
PWHF Posts: 221 Member
Is there anything wrong with maintaining numbers way below the sodium and sugar in my daily macros?

Is there a minimum requirement that is unhealthy to go below on a consistent basis?

Replies

• BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would consult a nutritionist.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Depends on how low your salt numbers are, but I suspect you're fine. There is a minimum threshold of salt intake needed for your body to function properly, but unless you're a serious, hardcore athlete or really, really overdoing it on the water, you're probably fine. If you're worried about it, keep an eye on your bloodwork with your doctor. If you're not getting enough, it will show up there.
  • PWHF
    Options
    Thanks all. I suspect a lot of the foods I put in don't show up the actual amount of sodium, a lot of them show 0 so I think I'm probably OK.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you have specific medical conditions which require you to limit salt or sugar?
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    I notice my weight goes up the next day if I eat salty foods or a pickle, but it’s temporary. Definitely watch going too low with sodium- as others have said, too little sodium is dangerous.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Per my diabetes handbook from my dietitian:
    Sodium is essential to maintain the right balance of fluids in your body; help transmit nerve impulses; and influence the contraction and relaxation of muscles, among others.
    2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends: Maximum of 2,300 mg of sodium per day for a healthy adult (this is also what you will see on MFP). Maximum of 1,500 mg of sodium per day if you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, diabetes, are African-American, middle-aged or older. (That being said, I am 60 and diabetic and my dietitian is happy with me currently staying under 1,900 mg daily as I work towards my goal of 1,700 mg daily. Huge improvement over my previous 4,500 mg of sodium daily).
    The National Heart, Blood, and Lung Association recommend 500 mg of sodium as a minimum as some is needed for your body to function properly. (Personally I would run this by my doctor if planning to go this low).
    Hope this helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    PWHF wrote: »
    Is there anything wrong with maintaining numbers way below the sodium and sugar in my daily macros?

Is there a minimum requirement that is unhealthy to go below on a consistent basis?

Sugar, no...

But sodium is an essential electrolyte...it would depend on how low you are going in addition to activity, sweating, etc...but yes, it could potentially be bad depending.
  • PWHF
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Do you have specific medical conditions which require you to limit salt or sugar?

No - pure vanity and water retention avoidance. I have no problem hitting daily calories and macros but before my sodium was always way over, especially when I was eating a lot of meat substitute meals. I keep sugar down anyway as I'm doing a slow carb (Tim Ferris 4HB) diet.

I'm eating some salted peanuts as I type this so I'm not going to obsess over it however I think a lot of foods in the MFP DB don't show the sodium level. Most of what I log shows up as 0 sodium which can't be right...
  • PWHF
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    I notice my weight goes up the next day if I eat salty foods or a pickle, but it’s temporary. Definitely watch going too low with sodium- as others have said, too little sodium is dangerous.

Same here, it's water retention.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    The few times I was eating something new that hasn't made it into the database yet, I just entered calories and macros. I'm sure most people have done the same. Only the green checked items have been filled out completely - although that does not guarantee that they are correct.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    PWHF wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

No - pure vanity and water retention avoidance. I have no problem hitting daily calories and macros but before my sodium was always way over, especially when I was eating a lot of meat substitute meals. I keep sugar down anyway as I'm doing a slow carb (Tim Ferris 4HB) diet.

I'm eating some salted peanuts as I type this so I'm not going to obsess over it however I think a lot of foods in the MFP DB don't show the sodium level. Most of what I log shows up as 0 sodium which can't be right...

That is precisely why you shouldn't rely on the database. If there isn't an entry that matches the nutrition label on whatever you're eating, make your own. If there is no nutrition label, go and do a search for the item on the usda website. This is the only way to ensure accuracy. :)
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    boldknee wrote: »
    The few times I was eating something new that hasn't made it into the database yet, I just entered calories and macros. I'm sure most people have done the same. Only the green checked items have been filled out completely - although that does not guarantee that they are correct.

There are things that are fully entered and accurate per the product label, but that don't have green checks. I know this because I entered them. (Why would I create inaccurate entries, when it costs me mere seconds to make them accurate, as long as I'm right there looking at the label?!)

The green checks, IMU, mean that a certain number of people have bothered to click a button saying the entry is accurate. They may not be accurate, anyway.

Thanks. The way the FAQ explains it is rather vague. Something like "when MFP believes a food is entered completely and accurately". It gives no explanation about how the software determines this. As an app user, I was unaware that users could rate a food as accurate. That is another feature the app doesn't have.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hyponatremia (low salt in the blood) can cause potentially fatal heart arrythmias and irreversible brain damage.

Talk to a dietician before your horror of water retention kills you.

From your friendly neighborhood nurse.
  • PWHF
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    Hyponatremia (low salt in the blood) can cause potentially fatal heart arrythmias and irreversible brain damage.

Talk to a dietician before your horror of water retention kills you.

From your friendly neighborhood nurse.

That does sound worse than water retention. I think my salt intake is probably OK based on all the foods in MFB which show sodium as 0 being inaccurate. I'm going to ignore sodium in my numbers unless it starts going back to double the daily recommended - which it was when i was eating meat substitutes a lot.