Diet break

Options
ConfidentRaven
ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
edited August 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m doing really well this year and so far I’ve dropped 86 pounds since January of this year. I still have a long way to go to get to my goal weight, but I’ve been struggling lately. I’m considering doing a maintenance week or two as a diet break. It doesn’t hurt that two of my kids birthdays are this coming week. For note I do plan to log and stay at maintenance calories during the break. Other than the occasional high calorie dinner and one two day binge I have been really on track. I’m looking for advice from others who have taken breaks. Or even from those who tried one and it didn’t work out.

My stats:
45 F, 5’10”
SW 382
CW 296.6
GW 160-170

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Do it, Cycling is good. helps your metabolism accelerate.

Only thing i would say is don't stop working out.
    Use the extra fuel to increase weights, reps or distance (Whatever it is that you're doing).
    If you stop working out, after 2 weeks, when you go back to the gym, muscle soreness will hit you again.

Also, and I can only speak for my experience, but I have a few things that if I touch, it's a pain to get away from again.
    Coca-Cola is one. If I drink a coke, by the time i get home, i bought a 2L bottle and some oreos.

I don't know what it is, but some foods trigger some crazy addiction memories that are not worth it for me to even touch them.

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you've more or less been in a deficit since January, yeah a diet break is almost something overdue at this point.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It's a really good idea.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Great idea-- you've done fantastic, and you're setting yourself up for success by having a plan going into the week!

My one piece of advice would be to give yourself permission to enjoy it without judgement. Don't have the mindset of this isa "cheat week" or my "bad week"--that language is self-punishing and may spiral you into guilt and shame, which doesn't help anything. It's a BREAK WEEK--and there's nothing wrong with a break.

You've done great! Be kind to yourself!

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 86 pounds gone!!! That's incredible. I did a diet break after about a year and a half and should have done it sooner. I did it because I had plateaued for a few months. I only went on it for a week and probably should have gone longer. I did gain weight but it came right back off. I stuck to my plan but just bumped up my calories to maintenance level. It was lovely and felt kind of decadent even though it was only about 400 calories a day more, lol. It got me losing again and refreshed me but I won't lie I never got back to 1200 calories/day after that. I went to 1350 and stayed there. Give it a try. It would be good for you.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely recommend the diet break. Couple things to think about:

1. It's not a free for all. Still weigh and log your food.

2. You will most likely weigh more when it's over but it will just be food in the digestive track and water weight. And that should all just fall off after a few days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1 or 2 months of diet, followed by a month of maintenance. I do track and I do make sure I am actually eating at maintenance and not gaining.

I do find that taking a break makes it more sustainable for me.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I basically take a diet break the whole month of June. (Anniversary, birthday month; it's my month!!). And then again in December (Holidays!). Plus, I want to live life and have times for holidays, so no plan I devise for myself keeps me from having "feast times" (within reason, within current weight maintenance). I still track. I keep tabs on my weight. I aim for maintenance calories (and shrug if I go a little over).

Then when June is done or the Holidays are over, I get right back into fighting for my goal. I find it helps me overall to have these breaks, as I tend to be more motivated when the work begins again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has linked this thread from the stickies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

. . . because it literally addresses OP's questions, head on.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has linked this thread from the stickies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

. . . because it literally addresses OP's questions, head on.

Stop yelling at me! I was late for a doctor's appointment when I posted!!

And I didn't have the link saved... (but I do now!)
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I did a 2 week diet break in July and recommend 10-14 days minimum. I ate at maintenance and learned a lot, including what foods are still 'triggers' for me. It also gave me practice at maintenance, and some confidence that maintenance is possible. Definitely read the above link on diet breaks and re-feeds.
    I follow a lower sodium diet, and did include foods during that time that were higher in sodium. This did cause a weight increase during that time, which took another 2 weeks to come off. So, I ended the month of July at the same weight that I began the month. Just don't want you to be discouraged if you have a similar experience.
    I plan on another diet break in 2-4 more months, or sooner if it feels necessary. Best to you! And congrats on your success - very well done!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You are doing so good! You deserve a break.

I was planning my first break to take place in about 2 weeks, but I have inadvertently ended up eating at maintenance the past 3 days due to some crazy hunger (possibly PMS). So, I may just stay here for a bit. I haven’t quite decided.

Definitely skim over that link. There is some interesting stuff in there.
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Totally do it! I did a 14 day diet break and ate at maintenance. I only gained 2.4 pounds during the diet break and dropped it within a couple of days of going back to my deficit. It was the best mentally to get a break and I would do it again! Congrats on your success!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Totally do it! I did a 14 day diet break and ate at maintenance. I only gained 2.4 pounds during the diet break and dropped it within a couple of days of going back to my deficit. It was the best mentally to get a break and I would do it again! Congrats on your success!!

This is a good point. Do be prepared for a little water weight gain, even though you're eating at maintenance. Don't let it freak you out.