My roommate situation- am I really the problem?

guacassassin
guacassassin Posts: 26 Member
I want to run my current situation by a group of strangers [sorry guys....you are all great! :) ] to get your opinions on my situation.

So I (25 yr old female) found my current apartment on craigslist. My roommate (29 yr old Male, let's call him Sam) was extremely kind and super laid back. I fell in love with the place. It was in the neighborhood I wanted, was in my price range....was beautiful. Sam told me he was super laid back and seemed that way as well. We talked and got along. He even talked his landlord into allowing me to move in with my dog, when she had previously said no dogs.

The first 8 months were fantastic. We got along, wed talk. He'd walk my dog sometimes. We told eachother at the very beginning wed come to eachother with any issues we had. And he was very good about it. Little things like hed tell me hey, make sure to close the door to the dryer when your done, stuff like that. I always cleaned up after my dog and myself, did every dish right after eating. Everything was great.

A few months ago, I'd noticed that he would spend a lot of time in his room. It got worse and worse. When he came home from work, he would go straight to his room and close the door. I would rarely see him. The only sightings I would see would be at 9 or 10 PM when he would come down to the kitchen to eat. Then hed go right back to his room.

I remember him telling me he thought he needed to go back to his therapist awhile back, and I remember one night he was freaking out because his old boss texted him that she thought he needed to be on medication. At the time, I didnt really think that much of it. But now I started to think maybe he was going through something.

I got paranoid that I was doing something wrong. Every time I'd see him, I'd make small talk and invite him to do something. He would respond, but always decline.

He began speaking to me less and less. My anxiety got the better of me one day and I sat down and asked him if I was doing anything that was bothering him. "No, I'm just exhausted from work and I'm in a funk right now." I left it at that.

Hoping things would eventually get better, I just let time progress. But things got worse. He would no longer acknowledge me when I would walk in to the kitchen. He wouldnt talk to me. Sometimes he would come downstairs wearing headphones so he didnt even have to look at me.
Another month or two of this and my anxiety, once again, took over. I had to confront him again.

"Sam, is everything okay? Are you sure theres nothing I'm doing that's bothering you?"

He looked at me long and hard, took a deep breath, and went off.

"When you moved in here I told you from the very beginning. NO SHOES IN THE HOUSE. And I have caught you MULTIPLE times wearing your shoes in the house. One day I was mortified you came home from the dog park and tracked dirt all over the carpet. I seriously said WHAT THE F@#%. When you moved in you told me your dog didnt bark. And at first when you would leave for work he would bark in the morning and I had to deal with it. Also I know hes an animal, but he gets scared during storms and scratches at my door. And I'm like WHAT THE F#%#$. So yeah."

I looked at him speechless. I told him I was sorry about the shoes, and for now on i would make sure to take them off every time the second i get home. I apologized for my dog barking, and told him he is better now that he is comfortable in this environment. I asked him if there was anything else he wanted me to do to make this situation more livable. "

"I am dealing with WAY too much right now. We need to be adults. I cant have this f&#&$ing conversation with you right now or I am going to explode on you." And he slammed the door and left.

That was two weeks ago. Since then, we havent spoken. I come home every day to an insanely awkward and hostile "home". I'm a mess. Half of me feels like the worst roommate ever. But the one time I did come home from the dog park, I immediately vacuumed after. Also, it was the rug I bought. Sam also never once mentioned having any issues with my dog. And I felt guilty and like a liar when he said that about him barking. But ALL dogs bark. Seriously. We had just moved into a new house. He was anxious. And I was leaving him.

I dont know what to do. I feel like a piece of crap but at the same time I feel like he was completely out of line and I am so upset about all of this that I can barely function. Am I really the problem?

Replies

• LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    @denny_mac I feel like the OP needs to get your thoughts on shoes in the house
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    You just need to move. Dude is loony toons and bit off more in a roommate than he could chew.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    You're definitely not the problem, Sam's mental health or current lack thereof is the problem. Your shoes aren't even the problem or I'm sure he'd have mentioned it way back when he first noticed it, they just became a convenient scapegoat for his inner turmoil.

I wouldn't like to live with that much tension and negativity in my own home, you want a place of peace and solace.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I think he's got anxiety and depression. He has no control over anything in his life so he's using you as a whipping post.

Since you don't know him other than as a roommate, you don't know what might make him go postal. I would move.

I had a roommate back in my single days and she was as dumb as a brick. Someone had broken into my car. We lived in a large apartment building. I discovered the breakin in the morning.

When I told her about it, she said "oh, yeah I saw that the doors were open last night when I got home. I thought you were airing out your car". 😨

I moved out.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Move out. Now.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Move as soon as you can find a suitable place. You can't be wasting your head-space trying to figure out what eggshells he's next going to strew in front of you.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited August 2019
    I so agree with @ythannah, it's not you, especially if he gave you to cold shoulder and after you nicely asked if there was anything you were doing that bothered him....he seems very unbalanced and most likely needs to twerk his meds and or get some therapy, and that is not you fault honey!🤗

I'm so sorry you feel stuck there....could you maybe move in with family or friends until the new place was ready or let.the landlord know you don't mind living with renovations?! Ugh so sorry girl! Wish I had more to offer but my opinion that agrees with you.....big hugs and hope you find some peace soon.....I hope Sam gets help too you two seemed cool and if he's suffering its no fault of yours, just sad too!
    💕🙏
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Seems like Sam is the issue there. If things were all peachy at first and then crazy afterwards, it's not all you. He would have told you about no shoes in the house or whatever at the beginning when telling you to close the door of the dryer.

I'm with the "move out now" crowd. Start looking around. you may find something nicer in teh same neighbourhood - don't wait 2-4 months.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    He's Toxic (an potentially dangerous) ; Move Out Posthaste.

Best of luck

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    He’s definitely going through some things. Sorry he blew up on you. I would move.

See, this is why I can’t do roommates. They talk to me bad and we are gonna throw down.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    They talk to me bad and we are gonna throw down.

I read this as: "They talk me to bed......."

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Not sure how you got that lol.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member

the dyslexia of perks

😂 I was thinking selective reading ....but that's better👍😋
  • LyndaBSS

Wishful thinking... 😂
  • LyndaBSS
    @guacassassin

Do you have a lease with this guy?