McDonald's

Options
123457»

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I'm going back to the US next week and one of the things I am most excited about is hitting up some of the fast food places. You guys get some cool stuff there that isn't available elsewhere, even at the same restaurants. I am not sure if I'll be able to go or how often because I'm going for business and "people don't like to have business lunches at Taco Bell" or whatever. But I'd definitely like to get my hands on an Impossible Whopper at Burger King and some of the new items Taco Bell added to their menu.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I'm going back to the US next week and one of the things I am most excited about is hitting up some of the fast food places. You guys get some cool stuff there that isn't available elsewhere, even at the same restaurants. I am not sure if I'll be able to go or how often because I'm going for business and "people don't like to have business lunches at Taco Bell" or whatever. But I'd definitely like to get my hands on an Impossible Whopper at Burger King and some of the new items Taco Bell added to their menu.

I always find it interesting when I hear comments like this; fast food is so ubiquitous to many Americans I don't think we'd ever think about it like that. I worked with a German guy for a while and he had a thing about trying all kinds of different burgers. He was so jazzed for places like Whataburger and In-n-out as we traveled around. The look on his face was priceless when I suggested we go to a Ted's Montana Grill for a bison burger.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

I always find it interesting when I hear comments like this; fast food is so ubiquitous to many Americans I don't think we'd ever think about it like that. I worked with a German guy for a while and he had a thing about trying all kinds of different burgers. He was so jazzed for places like Whataburger and In-n-out as we traveled around. The look on his face was priceless when I suggested we go to a Ted's Montana Grill for a bison burger.

Yeah pretty much haha. We have a fair amount of American fast food here (Panama). All the ones you would expect like McD, BK, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell, and even some you wouldn't necessarily expect, like Carl's Juniors, Johnny Rockets, and Popeye's. But specialty menus tend to be localized regionally. Which means sometimes we do get some cool stuff that the US doesn't. At McDonald's we have this burger called the Club House, which is one of their premium burgers with the nicer beef and bun but also the Big Mac sauce. And at Popeye's we've had a chicken sandwich for years before everyone started freaking out about it in the US. But we also miss out on some things. There is no all day McDs breakfast, and we don't get the McGriddle at all even during regular breakfast. We don't have any of the plant based meat options like the Impossible Whopper, and in general our Taco Bell menu is extremely lacking all the fun options they have in the US. I could also do with some Five Guys or Checkers. So whenever my wife and I return, we usually make multiple stops. Our family thinks we are a bit nuts for wanting that to be our vacation food, but it is fun to have it because it is different and I don't have to worry about it becoming too big a part of my diet since I won't have access to them regularly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Yeah pretty much haha. We have a fair amount of American fast food here (Panama). All the ones you would expect like McD, BK, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell, and even some you wouldn't necessarily expect, like Carl's Juniors, Johnny Rockets, and Popeye's. But specialty menus tend to be localized regionally. Which means sometimes we do get some cool stuff that the US doesn't. At McDonald's we have this burger called the Club House, which is one of their premium burgers with the nicer beef and bun but also the Big Mac sauce. And at Popeye's we've had a chicken sandwich for years before everyone started freaking out about it in the US. But we also miss out on some things. There is no all day McDs breakfast, and we don't get the McGriddle at all even during regular breakfast. We don't have any of the plant based meat options like the Impossible Whopper, and in general our Taco Bell menu is extremely lacking all the fun options they have in the US. I could also do with some Five Guys or Checkers. So whenever my wife and I return, we usually make multiple stops. Our family thinks we are a bit nuts for wanting that to be our vacation food, but it is fun to have it because it is different and I don't have to worry about it becoming too big a part of my diet since I won't have access to them regularly.

Our McDonald's has a burger called "The Mushroom", and it's basically an Angus burger with fried mushrooms, caramelized onions, swiss cheese and black pepper sauce. It's usually my choice whenever possible, except I ask for a big mac sauce because I can't do too much pepper, but there are other options I wanted to try that they don't have like the grilled chicken.