Best 100% cocao products

Options
Hi, I’m looking to switch from cocoa to COCAO due to the better health benefits/richer taste.

I love super bitter BUT I’m an overindulger so need it to be the lowest cal/carb available.

I currently eat Aldi 85% dark chocolate. It’s far too sweet. I also use cocoa powder for drinks, again too sweet, and not cocao.

Please recommend the best raw products that are low cal & carb!

Thanks

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,528 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You might also consider "cacao nibs," available plain or chocolate coated. Many so-called "health food" stores sell them in bulk.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love cacao nibs in yoghurt or porridge
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @apullum how did you become such a cocoa expert??? I learned a lot reading your posts. I am also fond of the nibs.

I read that chocolate is full of benefits, but in order to get them, you'd have to eat pounds of it....
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @apullum how did you become such a cocoa expert??? I learned a lot reading your posts. I am also fond of the nibs.

I read that chocolate is full of benefits, but in order to get them, you'd have to eat pounds of it....

I’m a chocolate snob. Most of what I know about growing cacao and making chocolate is from visiting a couple different chocolate factories. Theo Chocolate in particular is very good about explaining all of it.

We have a spreadsheet where my husband and I track the bars we’ve tried and our thoughts on them. It started because we just liked trying different chocolate and couldn’t remember which ones we had already tried, or which ones we didn’t love. Then it turned into a hobby of looking for new chocolate bars.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Just sticking my two-cents in: consider looking for fair-trade or other certifications that indicate the beans weren't harvested by underpaid or unpaid children possibly kidnapped from their homes and families.
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    @appulum

I’m UK based and a lot of the companies here use Cocao as spelling. But I see it should be CACAO. So apologies for my spelling.

I’ve found lots of brands on Amazon. But I’m looking for the lowest calorie/lowest carb & most don’t display the nutritions. They’re quite expensive so id like recommendations from people first who like the taste of dark bitter before I go and spend!

I already eat 85% which is too sweet.

jqv47jvdetvp.jpeg

Cacao is much better health wise than Cocoa because it is cold pressed so retains all the goodness. Cocoa is when the beans have been roasted at high temperatures therefore destroying the goodness.

So has anyone tried a few & know the strongest, lowest cal & carb products out there? Thanks!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like zint brand cacao powder. I put it in oatmeal, yogurt, basically anything I want to be chocolate flavored, as well as using it in savory sauces. Zint plus vanilla extract, almond butter, and raspberries in Greek yogurt is my favorite treat.
  • marierenicks1
    marierenicks1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m looking to switch from cocoa to COCAO due to the better health benefits/richer taste.

I love super bitter BUT I’m an overindulger so need it to be the lowest cal/carb available.

I currently eat Aldi 85% dark chocolate. It’s far too sweet. I also use cocoa powder for drinks, again too sweet, and not cocao.

Please recommend the best raw products that are low cal & carb!

Thanks

https://www.williescacao.com/ the best 100 % chocolate enjoy
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    kayl79xgbwyd.jpeg
    v1o3sscnyut3.jpeg
    My fav
  • marierenicks1
    marierenicks1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jeffrey_ad

Where did you get :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Just sticking my two-cents in: consider looking for fair-trade or other certifications that indicate the beans weren't harvested by underpaid or unpaid children possibly kidnapped from their homes and families.

Two I know about:
    https://equalexchange.coop/about (can also buy some products on Amazon and some supermarkets carry the coffee)
    https://www.tazachocolate.com/pages/about-taza

Taza is in the Boston area and has tours https://www.tazachocolate.com/pages/take-a-tour
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,528 Member
    Options
    When a site speaks in terms of "superfoods", that's usually a bad sign. Some foods are more nutrient-dense than others, for sure. And some taste better, or are produced in more sustainable or humane ways. That's worth considering when we make eating decisions, certainly.

But picking out a small set of foods as "superfoods" is pseudoscience, or marketing hype, or both. OP, the site you linked is literally selling cacao powder: That alone might make one suspect that they're potentially providing unbalanced information.

A PP above has helpful included a nutrition label from cacao powder.

Here are the nutrition facts for regular commercial Hershey's Cocoa Powder, taken directly from Hershey's website today, as comparison (note that serving size is 15g for the cacao powder, 5g for the Hershey's, so you need to multiply Hershey's numbers by 3 to equate them).

somft28d1fi3.png

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by the nutritional differences.

And cacao powder, including the Navitas brand whose label was in a PP, is readily available here in "health food" stores, plus some large grocery stores. I live in a mid-sized US city in a flyover state, so not that cosmpolitan a place. If you live somewhere more remote, or in a different country, it may be more difficult to find, but it's not rare here.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your best bet for lower calorie is to just use the powder (regardless of spelling).

I like it mixed in steel cut oats with cinnamon and frozen wild blueberries. I don't find any sweetener required.

The same idea would work in plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries, as mentioned above.

Whisked into milk would make me reach for a yellow packet to add some sweet, though.

I also add it to dishes I cook (with cinnamon usually) such as quinoa and black beans with bell peppers, onions, and avocado or chili.
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    Sorry but even just googling cocoa vs cacao - there are literally thousands of sites explaining the difference. I just posted one of the first sites that popped up. It is roasted vs cold pressed. Cold pressing preserves more vitamins. We can agree to disagree though!

I understand a calorie deficit is how to lose weight. Hence why I’m looking for low cal so I can have more of the treats I like but keeping within my limits. I love dark bitter chocolate so am looking for a way to incorporate it into my diet that’s all. And would like to reduce my Sugar intake :)

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions, I’m going to order a few of those off Amazon (I don’t think there are as many available UK for some reason). 100g Bars are retailing around £3+ here. Obviously the big UK brand is Cadbury = lots of sugar & not many dark options!

I like the idea of mixing with yoghurt thanks for that suggestion.

Off to order from Amazon now :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Sorry but even just googling cocoa vs cacao - there are literally thousands of sites explaining the difference. I just posted one of the first sites that popped up. It is roasted vs cold pressed. Cold pressing preserves more vitamins. We can agree to disagree though!

I understand a calorie deficit is how to lose weight. Hence why I’m looking for low cal so I can have more of the treats I like but keeping within my limits. I love dark bitter chocolate so am looking for a way to incorporate it into my diet that’s all. And would like to reduce my Sugar intake :)

There are thousands of sites on the internet that say that the earth is flat. Needless to say, they are wrong. That said, my favorite chocolate is from Zotter and you should have an easier time getting it in the UK than I have in the US.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    @appulum

I’m UK based and a lot of the companies here use Cocao as spelling. But I see it should be CACAO. So apologies for my spelling.

I’ve found lots of brands on Amazon. But I’m looking for the lowest calorie/lowest carb & most don’t display the nutritions. They’re quite expensive so id like recommendations from people first who like the taste of dark bitter before I go and spend!

I already eat 85% which is too sweet.

jqv47jvdetvp.jpeg

Cacao is much better health wise than Cocoa because it is cold pressed so retains all the goodness. Cocoa is when the beans have been roasted at high temperatures therefore destroying the goodness.

So has anyone tried a few & know the strongest, lowest cal & carb products out there? Thanks!

If you're looking for something that is 100% single-ingredient cacao, there shouldn't be meaningful differences in calories and carbs for identical amounts of cacao. If you find significant variations, you should try to figure out which one actually is the product that matches your idea of cacao, because they wouldn't really be the same product.