Best 100% cocao products

Options
2»

Replies

• Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    I hear you, so what exactly is the difference between the two?!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Cocoa is another commonly used spelling for cacao. It also may refer to the drink "hot cocoa" aka "hot chocolate". Powder for that drink specifically will more than likely include things like sugar. That said you can also buy "cocoa powder" that is the exact same thing is cacao powder because it's just another spelling of the word. Here are two examples:
    https://www.hersheys.com/en_us/products/hersheys-natural-unsweetened-cocoa-8-oz-cans.html
    https://shop.dagobachocolate.com/DAGOBA-ORGANIC-Cacao-Powder/p/DAG-BBPOWDER&c=DagobaChocolate@Baking# (note the "what's inside" in this case is likely referring to the fact that it's processed in a facility with those allergens).
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    So there’s literally no difference between the way it is formed from the bean? I really believed what I read!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    So there’s literally no difference between the way it is formed from the bean? I really believed what I read!

From Bon Appetit:
    Cacao powder is made by cold-pressing raw cacao beans, while cocoa powder is made from beans that have been roasted when processed. The difference is fairly minimal from a flavor perspective, and cacao powder can be substituted with a 1:1 ratio for cocoa powder.

Note, in my google search of "cocoa vs cacao" this was the only link in the first three pages that I'd be willing to trust.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

The use of “cocoa” vs “cacao” is often just marketing. Companies think that the term “cacao” has a different connotation to customers—that customers will think it is somehow healthier, more natural, etc. The “real” definition usually has something to do with which steps in the chocolate-making process the cacao beans have been through as @aokoye said.

In reality, almost all of the products on the market are made from roasted, fermented cacao beans.

The fermentation step in the cacao process is necessary. It helps kill off any bacteria naturally on the cacao bean, and it develops flavor. I have not personally tried an unfermented cacao bean, but I’ve talked to others who have. It didn’t sound like an amazing experience. I would be skeptical of anything claiming to be unfermented cacao.

This fermentation process also causes the beans’ temperature to rise quite high, well above what many people consider “raw.” I would therefore be very skeptical of anything claiming to be “raw” chocolate, simply because many people associate the term with food that has not been heated over a particular temperature. The way the term is used in chocolate marketing does not match how it is used outside that context.

The roasting process is standard, but some companies now skip it. This simply makes for a chocolate that tastes different. I’ve had unroasted chocolate; it’s interesting. When companies claim Chocolate is “raw,” they typically mean it is unroasted. I would not trust anything claiming that chocolate is healthier if it’s unfermented, unroasted, or “raw.”

In general, claims that chocolate has numerous health benefits are exaggerated. Chocolate is lovely. It has some vitamins and minerals. Eaten in moderation, it is also not going to do anything special for your overall health. I would be very skeptical of anything claiming that chocolate, or any other food, has dramatic health benefits.

There is a lot of bad information on the internet about chocolate as well as anything else. Be vigilant about evaluating the quality of your sources.

All of that sensible assessment . . . and I endorse that as someone who put a big blop of organic, unsweetened cacao powder in her spicy black beans last night. Because yum. Maybe some beneficial phytochemicals, maybe not, but fully worth it for yum alone.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    9fw9g4gcl0js.jpeg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

The use of “cocoa” vs “cacao” is often just marketing. Companies think that the term “cacao” has a different connotation to customers—that customers will think it is somehow healthier, more natural, etc. The “real” definition usually has something to do with which steps in the chocolate-making process the cacao beans have been through as @aokoye said.

In reality, almost all of the products on the market are made from roasted, fermented cacao beans.

The fermentation step in the cacao process is necessary. It helps kill off any bacteria naturally on the cacao bean, and it develops flavor. I have not personally tried an unfermented cacao bean, but I’ve talked to others who have. It didn’t sound like an amazing experience. I would be skeptical of anything claiming to be unfermented cacao.

This fermentation process also causes the beans’ temperature to rise quite high, well above what many people consider “raw.” I would therefore be very skeptical of anything claiming to be “raw” chocolate, simply because many people associate the term with food that has not been heated over a particular temperature. The way the term is used in chocolate marketing does not match how it is used outside that context.

The roasting process is standard, but some companies now skip it. This simply makes for a chocolate that tastes different. I’ve had unroasted chocolate; it’s interesting. When companies claim Chocolate is “raw,” they typically mean it is unroasted. I would not trust anything claiming that chocolate is healthier if it’s unfermented, unroasted, or “raw.”

In general, claims that chocolate has numerous health benefits are exaggerated. Chocolate is lovely. It has some vitamins and minerals. Eaten in moderation, it is also not going to do anything noticeable for your overall health. I would be very skeptical of anything claiming that chocolate, or any other food, has dramatic health benefits.

There is a lot of bad information on the internet about chocolate as well as anything else. Be vigilant about evaluating the quality of your sources.

I had unfermented cacao in Costa Rico in 2004 and have not tried to repeat the experience since :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    9fw9g4gcl0js.jpeg

$1.97 at my Walmart.