Weight loss while on Prednisone

Hello,
I tried searching the threads. Is there a support/tip thread for people on Prednisone long term. I've read that ketogenic is the solution for prednisone and weight loss. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Did you just search for the word prednisone? I'm sure I've seen it discussed. Try the search again, make sure you don't put it in the title section.

ETA: I just did the search and it worked. Enter prednisone in the very top line of the search function.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,836 MFP Moderator
    @LyndaBSS How is that helpful or welcoming to a new member? OP said she did a search. Why not share links that you found instead of telling the OP to search again? :) I did a search too, but I didn't find any support groups. All I found were some mentions of prednisone in various threads, and not many replies to those posts. ;)

@kayr66 You can lose weight on prednisone, but you have to pay attention not to eat mindlessly. For me, it helps to be dedicated with logging here on MFP so I can make sure I'm not going over my calorie allowance. From what I have read, Prednisone itself doesn't cause weight gain, but it does make you want to eat more. ;)

I find that volume eating (larger quantities of lower calorie foods) helps me stay full when I'm on prednisone, and helps avoid those fake hunger cues the med gives me. However, I've never been on the medication long-term.

Keto is one way of eating, but personally I find it too restrictive to cut out almost all carbs. If it works for you though, that's great. :)

If you'd like to learn more about low carb and keto, here are a few groups:

This is our largest low-carb group. Not everyone there does keto, but many do. :
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Here's a keto group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Best wishes to you on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    @sugaraddict4321

I'm sorry, I can't do links because I'm using the app on my phone. I wish I could.

@kayr66 how did you make out?
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    I agree with volume eating. When I'm on prednisone, that's what helps me. Since my last round was about 6 weeks and I don't need to take it all the time, my goal is usually to just maintain rather than lose while taking it.

Huge bowls of salad, sliced cucumber, celery with cream cheese, popcorn with limited butter and way too much salt.

Checking out volume eating threads will probably give you lots of ideas. :-)