Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Did anyone else decide the last few pounds just weren’t worth it?

Copper_BoomCopper_Boom Posts: 77Member Member Posts: 77Member Member
I’m a 5’10 female and used to be 128#-130# in college. I’d classify myself as sedentary overall, though I do physical activities like hiking and surfing on weekends. My weight stays between 150-155 pounds when I don’t track calories. However, I always seem to be in this vicious yo yo cycle of getting back down to about 130#, which I’ve always had in my mind as my maintenance goal weight. I typically can lose the 20 pounds in about four months, and then stay at the 130 mark for maybe three months or so before I fall off the wagon and stop tracking calories. Rinse and repeat.

I have recently come to the realization that being 130 pounds is not worth it to me anymore. The calorie requirement is just too low for me to enjoy my meals and I don’t have a strong interest in regularly burning calories through exercise. Now I am going to use 145-150 as my target since it’s still a healthy enough weight for my height and the calorie target is something that will work better in my life. No one besides me cares or probably even really notices if I am a size 4 or an 8, so I am not sure why I have been returning to my college weight for so long (or why I even used that as my goal in the first place).
Did anyone else adjust their original maintenance weights? How does reality match your previous expectations?

Replies

• Copper_BoomCopper_Boom Posts: 77Member Member Posts: 77Member Member
    Thank you for your kind words and @StargazerB for your story.
    In retrospect, I have wasted so much money and foregone so many delicious desserts to try to be at the lowest “healthy” weight for my height. Most times I went back to my lowest weight, I would donate my larger size clothes to theoretically keep me from gaining again (for me, twenty pounds is a difference of two sizes). But I’d buy more of the same clothes I’d just donated when my weight went back up and start all over again. Ugh. Moving forward though!
  • macchiattomacchiatto Posts: 2,862Member Member Posts: 2,862Member Member
    Great question. I've adjusted my goal before. I'm 5'7" and I used to tend to yoyo between 139 and 159. At one point a few years ago I decided to try to aim for 130 (a weight I hadn't seen since college; though not quite as ambitious for my height as for yours!). I got there and liked it and set a new maintenance weight range of 128-133.

I maintained for several years and then gradually regained weight (up to 150) when I went from SAHM to very sedentary job. I'm currently working on losing again but re-evaluating if I just want to go back to high 130s rather than all the way back to my lower goal range. For me it's generally a difference of size 8 vs 10 (or still 8 with vanity sizing ;)). I'm 43 now and it does feel like losing weight has gotten harder, so we'll see. I may just go for somewhere in the 130s and then focus more on fitness and strength training.
  • weatherwoman94weatherwoman94 Posts: 14Member Member Posts: 14Member Member
    There's no point if you're going to be miserable and it's too hard to maintain and your mental health takes a downturn because of the upkeep e.g. you start thinking people are out to get you and become more paranoid, self-conscious, fearful and hypersensitive, it matters too much (to the point where it compromises your day-to-day functioning), you experience reactive eating etc. Listen to your body and don't worry about what other people say/think. Quality of life is important too, we're not just mannequins on display
    edited September 4
  • DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Posts: 4,440Member Member Posts: 4,440Member Member
    Yeah...I used to be more comfortable seeing the scale around 113, but it lead to disordered thinking around food and exercise and also a lot of concern from family and even my nurse practitioner. I find that gaining up to 120 is more sustainable and a healthier bf% for me.
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,286Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,286Member, Premium Member
    What I've learned as a business person is it's easy and fun to start a job but finishing the last 5 percent of the job requires effort. It's much more fun to start a new job. It's no different with fitness, health and wellness goals. Assuming your goals were realistic, you may be experiencing normal behavior of throwing in the towel before mission accomplished.

My experience was different. When I had 5 lbs. to go to reach my goal, I could see the finish line and smell the victory of success. Now, having been in maintenance for over 6-months, I recently dropped my ideal 5-lb. weight range by 2 lbs.

A goal weight achieved or not achieved won't make or break your day or life but I can tell you from personal experience that there's a sense of satisfaction of having set a goal and achieved it and, now, sustaining it.

For best results in your fitness, health and wellness journey, always set reasonable goals capable of being measured and then pursue them with discipline, patience and perseverance. Not only will you likely achieve them but you'll find a great spillover benefit to other areas of your life. At least this has been my experience.
  • sijomialsijomial Posts: 15,244Member Member Posts: 15,244Member Member
    Losing the last few pounds were and are very important to me and make a huge difference especially visually but also to exercise performance.

But your goal (unlike mine) was very low for your height so not surprised it is so hard to stay there.

I've also adjusted upwards when I found it was becoming too hard to sustain as I recomped. Although I never got very lean I was getting hungrier and it was making maintenance a chore not a pleasure.

You do need to resolve the repeated yo yo cycles of 20 to 25lbs, that isn't doing you any favours at all.
  • colettehughcolettehugh Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
    Wow, 5'10" and 120-30 lbs? I'm 5'8" and my college/20s weight was always around 128-132 lbs and that was thin.