MCT Oil

Options
I bought a small bottle a few weeks ago at whole foods, but have only used it once in a shake. Couldn't find much info about it on MFP, so thought I would go ahead and post. Does anyone have any good or bad experience using it?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If I even imagine drinking oil I gag.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I went through a few bottles when I was trying out "bullet-proof coffee". I didn't find this satiating at all and had no increased energy.

In your case, I would continue to use it for a fat source in your shakes, and switch to a cheaper fat source like regular coconut oil when you are done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I bought a small bottle a few weeks ago at whole foods, but have only used it once in a shake. Couldn't find much info about it on MFP, so thought I would go ahead and post. Does anyone have any good or bad experience using it?

It's just fat...and keto trendy and thus overpriced.
  • ducatiroche
    ducatiroche Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is cheaper than gaining it. Don't ruin that by trying to spend yourself skinny
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it. I've been eating keto for over two months and didn't find the need to purchase expensive "keto" marketed products. Thought like an above commenter, it seems like an overpriced coconut oil.

Agree with another commenter, oils have their place in keto to up calories. But I use olive oil, coconut oil, and avocados.

• dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What experience are you looking for?

It's not going to "do" anything that any other oil doesn't and will have absolutely 0 effect on weight and/or fat loss.
    Mainly was using it as an extra fat (filler) in my shakes, but I can always add a little olive oil somewhere in my food intake.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    It's oil, so it's 9 calories per gram. Make sure you count those grams because they can add up quick.

Thanks!
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The main benefit to MCT, if one would exist, is its ability to metabolize quickly and done in the liver which helps create ketones. Theoretically, this could provide an energy source prior to exercise.

Essentially, its an over price derivative of coconut oil, at 3x the price. And in some, it causes stomach issues.

Most use it in morning coffee for immediate energy. Not sure if there is evidence to support that claim for people are feeling the placebo effects.

I did put it in my morning shake once along with 1/2 an avacodao, just for extra fats, but haven't felt the need to use it since then. Ive been using more olive oil on salads and sauteeing. Haven't tried the coconut oil yet.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I went through a few bottles when I was trying out "bullet-proof coffee". I didn't find this satiating at all and had no increased energy.

In your case, I would continue to use it for a fat source in your shakes, and switch to a cheaper fat source like regular coconut oil when you are done.

Or peanut butter! :p

I love peanut butter like so many, but haven't had any since starting my Keto diet. May have some soon, though
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If I even imagine drinking oil I gag.

I didn't taste it in my shake, which was pretty thick.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's just fat...and keto trendy and thus overpriced.

I am figuring that out. I get the really pricey olive oils, so the MCT I was reccomended by whole foods was the same price, like $10-12 a bottle, however, I may just use more olive and coconut oil, instead
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Losing weight is cheaper than gaining it. Don't ruin that by trying to spend yourself skinny

Yes, you are right!. I am learning that. I am just now telling myself, I don't need all the things everyone out there is reccomending for Keto and weight loss. It's expensive enough with my trying to only eat mostly the grass fed meats. I am trying to do more organic items for now. Those are expensive enough.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I’d never heard of MCT oil, so just googled it! The price! 😲

Millionaires Can Try
  • dmcforthewin
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Oh my! I’d never heard of MCT oil, so just googled it! The price! 😲

Millionaires Can Try
    ravenwood7 wrote: »
    I heard MCT oil mixed with apple cider vinegar reboots the metabolism.
    Or makes a wonderful base for Caesar salad dressing.
    I can't remember which. :/

Interesting

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind, that you dont get extra points for more fats. Adding calories just for the cause is a great way to stop progress.