Workout advice

Restarting thread...

Age 43, 17% body fat. I’m somewhat new to lifting but have used it to lose 50lbs in the past year.

I’ve been using machines for the past year and am looking to move to free weights. My goals are to recomp (get stronger while losing fat). I’ve been getting some advice and doing some research. My schedule only allows me to lift 2x a week.

How does the below look? Any holes, redundancy, general advice, or things to swap? 2x a week, same routine each trip, for 6 months or so. 3 sets of 10, 8, 6.

Thanks!

Dumb bell rows
Seated dumbbell shoulder press
Seated Dumbbell curls
Leg press <- I can’t do squats for some reason
Overhead tricep dumbbell. <- would dips be better?
Crunches <- can I use the ab machine as I like it better?
Incline dumbbell press
Standing dumbbell calf raises
Bench press
Barbell dead lift

Replies

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Is that for one routine? It looks like a lot for one session. I typically split upper and lower body.

Crunches are better than ab machine in my opinion, but if you're looking for core there are a million other exercises you can do if you don't like crunches.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited September 2019
    One routine, yes. I would like to drop 1 or 2, but I’m not sure what to drop. Hopefully I can drop a couple with some good feedback. Or maybe I can only do a couple of these once a week and alternate days.

Other than that, does this look pretty good for a full body workout?
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    I love deadlifts and power cleans and kettle bell swings and box jumps too! Maybe start working on squats? Squat to a chair with no weight or with holding pvc. Squats are so so great (so so much of a pain, but so great). Weighted lunges too!

I like incline sit ups with a medicine ball moreso than the ab machines. And russian twists too!

I like free weights way more than the machines. They force you to use even MORE muscles than the machines do, so remember not to feel defeated if you have to drop weight in any of these!

Good luck!
  • its_cleo
    Rows and presses are good. I use dumbells a lot bc I often have strength imbalances so it helps to equalize both sides. Note you will typically be able to lift less than with a barbell.

I don't think calf raises are necessary myself unless you're a runner or something.

Dips v overhead tricep- both can be good, I alternate so as to not get bored.

Be good to find some squat alternative.

Lunges are also good but I hate them lol.

I saw you had another thread with a lot of good advice.
  • allother94
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the advice on what also can be good and what you enjoy, but those are all over my head. Do you think the routine I’ve outlined is good enough to use for a while? Sounds like I can potentially drop calf raises. Please speak in terms of “drop x and add y” so you don’t lose me.

BTW - I’m substituting leg press for squats. I can move to squats as I get more comfortable with everything.
  • its_cleo
    I would add lunges and drop calf raises.

I would only do regular bench or incline not both, especially on the same day. Or I would alternate on different days for variety.

It looks like a fine basic routine to me. There are lots of variations and alternatives when you get bored.
  • allother94
    edited September 2019
    its_cleo wrote: »
    I would add lunges and drop calf raises.

I would only do regular bench or incline not both, especially on the same day. Or I would alternate on different days for variety.

It looks like a fine basic routine to me. There are lots of variations and alternatives when you get bored.

Thanks! Exactly the kind of feedback I’m looking for. Very helpful!
  • allother94
    Any other viewpoints or insights from anyone?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I agree with above posters...you could drop calves, alternate dips and triceps, alternate chest press or just flat bench, also drop abs if you do heavier free weights and standing exercises (squat when comfortable, ohp or standing dumbbell press, standing curls or curls with a lunge).
  • allother94
    I agree with above posters...you could drop calves, alternate dips and triceps, alternate chest press or just flat bench, also drop abs if you do heavier free weights and standing exercises (squat when comfortable, ohp or standing dumbbell press, standing curls or curls with a lunge).

Other than than that, is it a pretty solid transition to free weights from machines?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Seems pretty balanced. Try it for a few weeks and see how it goes...
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    I'm a runner and I do calf raises - now I'm wondering if I should drop them......
    I do a full body lifting routine that I enjoy. I also have great difficulty fitting in more than 2 lifting sessions into a week so I don't rest at all between sets. I do upper body and when I would normally rest, I do a lower body move instead. Alternating upper and lower I can get through my routine in about 40 minutes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited September 2019
    I would suggest following a tried tested and true program instead of trying to create your own.

Only lifting twice/week you will def want 2xfull body. I suggest starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. both are simple, effective, and have progression and deloads built in.

The order of your routine is not good either. don't do isolations before you finish compounds, if at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    Restarting thread...

Age 43, 17% body fat. I’m somewhat new to lifting but have used it to lose 50lbs in the past year.

I’ve been using machines for the past year and am looking to move to free weights. My goals are to recomp (get stronger while losing fat). I’ve been getting some advice and doing some research. My schedule only allows me to lift 2x a week.

How does the below look? Any holes, redundancy, general advice, or things to swap? 2x a week, same routine each trip, for 6 months or so. 3 sets of 10, 8, 6.

Thanks!

Dumb bell rows
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press
    Seated Dumbbell curls
    Leg press <- I can’t do squats for some reason
    Overhead tricep dumbbell. <- would dips be better?
    Crunches <- can I use the ab machine as I like it better?
    Incline dumbbell press
    Standing dumbbell calf raises
    Bench press
    Barbell dead lift

I would recommend following an established program. Since you're doing 2x per week, I'd also recommend a full body program. You don't need all those exercises...more isn't always better. Run a program that focuses on compound movements.

I've been out of the weight room since February when I fractured my knee cap and have since been focusing on cycling and just doing body weight work. I'm just getting back and I'm starting back with Bill Starr's Beginner 5x5. I've been lifting pretty consistently for over 6 years, but I've been out so long I'm kind of starting from scratch.

A: (Heavy)
    Back squats 5x5 Ramping Weight to top set
    Bench Press 5x5 Ramping Weight to top set
    Dead Lifts 5x5 Ramping Weight to top set

B: (Light)
    Back squats 5x5 (60% of A)
    Bench Press 5x5 (60% of A)
    Pull-ups

C: (Medium)
    Back squats 5x5 (80% of A)
    Bench Press 5x5 (80% of A)
    Barbell Rows 5x5 Ramping weight to top set

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Willy nilly doing your own thing is going to ultimately garner inefficient results and often results in muscular imbalances and other issues.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    I would suggest following a tried tested and true program instead of trying to create your own.

Only lifting twice/week you will def want 2xfull body. I suggest starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. both are simple, effective, and have progression and deloads built in.

The order of your routine is not good either. don't do isolations before you finish compounds, if at all.

All of this. The fastest way to build muscle mass and strength is to hop onto a novice program that's designed to do exactly that.
  • allother94
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for the comments so far! The program I outlined is actually a dumbbell program I found with a couple of additions. I don’t like squats or deadlifts which seems to be such a big part of the standard programs. I have a hard time with the form and that area of the gym is so busy during my lifting times. I’m hoping lunges and the leg press can replace these. Also, I didn’t have my exercises in order.

Based on the comments, I settled on the following in order. I figure it is at least better then the machine workout I was doing before. Also, my muscles we’re on fire the first time I did it, which I think is a good sign. Once I can get some help with my squat and deadlift form, I’ll probably move to a different program (maybe 3-4 months). That being said, any small tweaks you see that could help the below (reps, sets, order) or any other general advice would be great!

1). Bench - 3 sets starting at my body weight and lifting until failure (around 8 reps currently) <- replace with incline sometimes
    2). Dumbbell rows - 3 set 10,8,6 reps
    3). Reverse dumbbell lunges- 3 set 10,8,6 reps <- this exercise kills me! (Reverse to protect the knees)
    4). Standing Alternating dumbbell curls - 3 set 10,8,6 reps
    5). Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 3 set 10,8,6 reps
    6). Standing overhead triceps dumbbells - 3 set 10,8,6 reps. <- replace with triceps dips when I’m bored
    7). Leg press - 3 set 10,8,6 reps
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2019
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Please read through this. I’ve posted part 4 which gives 3 workouts, barbell, dumbbell, and machine. All versions are good and give you programming- reps, sets, rests, etc.

Parts 1-3 will, I hope, explain the methodology, knowledge, and reasoning needed to develop a programme, and why you are being urged to follow a proven programme.

If you do not have the mobility to squat at the moment, but have no medical or mechanical reason not to, by all means use the leg press and leg curl for strength, while working on wall squats and box squats and any other exercises needed as end of programme accessory work.

For dead lifts, if you don’t want to use the barbell do them with dumbbells, or use the cable machine with the longest straight bar.

Another programme that may work for you, as it can be run 2 days is AllPro.
    Squat (sub leg press+curl)
    Bench
    Row
    OHP
    SLDL (sub db or cable)
    Bicep Curl
    Calf Raises.

NB. In the intro below it says 3 days heavy medium and light. Running it 2 days you do both heavy.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Cheers, h.

Sorry about the knee @cwolfman13, and thanks for reminding me about Bill Starr.
  • allother94
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for this! Ill probably use AllPro’s order and sets as it appears to almost match my plan above. Very helpful!

What are your thoughts on replacing the barbell deadlifts with barbell lunges. They seem like the same movements, but I seem to get more benefits from the lunges?

Also, what extra benefit am I getting by doing the leg press and curls vs. just the leg press?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    Thanks for this! Ill probably use AllPro’s order and sets as it appears to almost match my plan above. Very helpful!

What are your thoughts on replacing the barbell deadlifts with barbell lunges. They seem like the same movements, but I seem to get more benefits from the lunges?

Also, what extra benefit am I getting by doing the leg press and curls vs. just the leg press?

deadlifts and lunges are completely different movements. deadlifts are one of the most beneficial movements you can do...if I could only do one lift, it would be that. Lunges have there place, but they do not replace deadlifts, nor do they work the same muscles. deadlifts are going to work much more of your posterior chain than lunges.
  • allother94
    I’ve added deadlift, but I have no idea if I’m doing them right. I also added dumbbell squats. I need to put small weights under my heels since I can’t seem to keep my heels down. I wonder if I can somehow post a video of my form somewhere to make sure I’m doing it right.